Building my first gaming PC, have a high budget. Need Help :)

1235»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Why wouldn't you indeed? Lapping owns.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Lapping it is the way to go.

Look into the Biostar TP45 motherboard. They're pushing crazy FSB in the 600s to low 700s.

Raid 0 probably isn't the way to go, especially using the onboard controller. You're better off with a single VRaptor or going SSD.

For fans, Scythe makes some bangin' 120mm blowers. They have them at Newegg. Look into them.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited October 2008
    Yeah well I heard the Intel chipsets are much better for raid 0 then nvidia. Not sure if P45 is better with raid then X48..

I have a question about raid. When you raid 0 say 2 150GB velociraptors do you get 150 GB or 300GB? Do they combine? Or do they think its one hard drive so I get only 150GB?

And also when one of the hard drives in raid 0 dies.... What happens? Does the other one not work and have to reformat? Thanks

I don't know I am doing some hardcore gaming so raid is fine with me. Data loss is fine, I am not losing much... What my programs and OS? Although they do cost an arm and a leg.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    You get 300GB. If one dies, all your data on both drives is 100% irrecoverably gone. Unless it's backed up, you'll never get it back. You'll have to format both disks and start over.
    edited October 2008
    Ok. Well thats fine tell you the truth, I back up every other weekend on flash drives, discs.

Or maybe I can also run a mirror on my storage what raid is that ? raid 5 or 1 The raid where you copy the files onto another hard drives.

Ill do that with my storage just in case, because I am constantly encoding and compressing large video files (Film maker).

As for the raid 0, its only got my OS and programs on it so its not a big deal.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Bubbleman wrote:
    As for the raid 0, its only got my OS and programs on it so its not a big deal.
    And your My Documents folder unless you move it.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I though in the the IC review of the TRUE the finish was actually decent on the extreme good finish just not perfectly leve, and the convexness was little enough i wouldn't bother trueing it up.
    edited October 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    I though in the the IC review of the TRUE the finish was actually decent on the extreme good finish just not perfectly leve, and the convexness was little enough i wouldn't bother trueing it up.

Ahhh You can never lap enough. Lap lap lap!
    edited October 2008
    Everyone agree the Asus Xonar is a good sound card to get? or any other suggestions.

I am hooking w/e sound card I get to Logitech z5500 speaker system.
    edited October 2008
    I will be doing a lot of video editing, file compression, video encoding stuff like that.

Also will I need DDR2 800 speed ram if I am going 8GB of it? or should I go with a high speed ram of DDR2 1066 and get 4GB of that?

I guess I am confused because I was originally going with 8GB of 1066 speed RAM, I have been reading that much RAM at that speed will effect my overclock.
    edited October 2008
    Get 4GB of some DDR2 1066 or higher.
    edited October 2008
    OCZ and G skill are good brands? Probably most popular, I know EVERYONE will say OCZ here :)
    edited October 2008
    Yes. OCZ, G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial, Patriot, Kingston, Geil, Mushkin... they're all good brands.

Many of us like OCZ however because we get excellent customer service from RyderOCZ and the rest of the people there. Their warranties are also very nice for such a competitively priced product.
    edited October 2008
    Well I am contemplating just waiting for Nehalem... spending this money is a little crazy when nehalem is so close.

I might change my mind but it would be wise to wait a little more.