Building my first gaming PC, have a high budget. Need Help :)

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You do need to clean a water cooled system from time to time because no matter how good you are still going to be bacteria introduced into the system and it is going to grow on the pockets of air that form. 6 month time frame for cleanings or system flushes. Do a lot of checking on the air coolers always look for the off the wall review you might find something good. For a starting point, and there is another review in that forum block too to check on a thermaltake cooler and one other check this.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    _k_ wrote:
    You do need to clean a water cooled system from time to time because no matter how good you are still going to be bacteria introduced into the system and it is going to grow on the pockets of air that form. 6 month time frame for cleanings or system flushes. Check this.

That reminds me I need to do that this weekend.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited May 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116400

This is the 64 bit operating system right?
    edited June 2008
    No but this is.
    edited June 2008
    Where can I find a retail version? Think i should go with ebay?

Also what type of heatsink should I look into, I think I am going to go with air cooling instead of a waterblock on this one. I will be doing some overclocking I hear people can get to 3.8 Ghz with just air cooling

Maybe one day I will do water cooling but now now.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    Ebay is for criminals and scam artists. Buy no software on Ebay, and I wouldn't buy hardware from there either. I recommend the Cooler Master Gemini 2 because of how awesome it looks in my case, and how well it cools just about everything except my video card.
    edited June 2008
    Why do you need a retail version of the software its just going to cost more, all you loose is two service calls to Microsoft.
    edited June 2008
    Is directx10 only for vista? I mean my card would utilize directx10
    edited June 2008
    only for vista
    edited June 2008
    Does this mean my card wouldn't work with directx9? I mean since its a directx10 card.
    edited June 2008
    Well I just think it would be a bit foolish to build a great gaming computer and limit myself potentially with XP don't you agree?

I mean you have a similar build of the one I am planning to build same processor and board are you running Vista?
    edited June 2008
    No, I am using xp 64. x10 doesn't really provide an increase usually you hear it dropping frame rate if it does anything though some times it doesn't drop frame rate. x10 is for extra shading and lighting effects. Also all video cards that are x10 will work with x9 or lower it is just the max support it has.
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I am just trying to go for you know high fps but still can run games on very high settings which brings me to this, it might be silly.

Now 22" monitor widescreen is resolutions of 1680 x 1050

and 24" monitor widescreen is resolutions of 1920 x 1200

So will I get a better frame rate at the 22" resolution then the 24"?

Honestly going from a 19" display currently to a 22" would be a big change going to a 24" would be insane.
  • edited June 2008
    oki, this is a supper long thread and i am too lazy to read all what other guys have sad. I am sure that they all sad something useful i just want to add some of my things in case you need that.

FPS, its a speed that your GPU can render the image and put it on your screen, but its not only depends on your card its also depends on how fast your CPU can provide the data that the card has to render. This in turn is depending on your CPU speed, the amount of RAM you have the speed of your hard drive. So i think you will have to consider all of that.

Putting the OS on your fast hard drive is good as it will reduce the boot time. Also if you use the default setting then your cache files will also will be put and read on this drive so its good. Putting the games you want to play on slow hard drive will slow your game down a bit i fugue but only at loading time. after that all will be written on your main drive as swaps so its not a problem.

Running 2 SLI video card is not as efficient as getting one card that is more powerful than each of your duo, and at the end will still be less power consuming and expensive.

If you are planning to game, look for monitors with fast response rate or just not a LCD. LCDs have an image retention and can create lag or slow PC server communication as you see things a bit slower than they actually happened.

About the water cooling thing, i am new to it as well. But i did it only because my fans drove me crazy. If you play games you have sound or headset on most of the time so water will only increase your budget. Unless you are planing to do lots of OC i would suggest going air.

hope this helps.
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I was actually watching someone on youtube with a similar rig and specs playing crysis on very high settings I think on a 24" monitor. With the GX2 only one of them he was getting like 50 FPS but then again his processor was like at 4.2 ghz water cooled.

I just really want to know with my processor the yorksfield. How far can I push it to its limit on air cooling, My case the lian li will provide tons of air flow, plus maybe additional fans I will add.

I guess my main concern is right now, should I get Vista? I mean the would ensure I am future proof for those vista only games I have been hearing about. I just really think I would get much more FPS and performance with XP then Vista sucking up my specs UNLESS you can turn all that off?
    edited June 2008
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_q9450/

This guy got to about 3.7ghz with just air cooling did very good in the tests.
    edited June 2008
    For the money I think its a good processor to go with.
    edited June 2008
    Um don't know what he was doing, 478 is the apparent wall on the 9450 3.9GHz. Yes they are running warmer than people thought they should but the volt req is a lot less so less consumption. Looked like he wasn't increasing volt on the FSB just north so thats why he couldn't get things to go all the way. Though these are running hotter than expected the thermals i am reading for load from stock settings to 3.55 i have an increase of 5-7C on the cores so its not really killing them faster. If you want i can run it up to 3.9GHz and post back my temps if you are looking for max speeds or close to and temps to decide on water or air. I don't think I made a bad choice because I get a high FSB and other things. Just buy xp
    edited June 2008
    Sure if you could do that, that would be great. BTW in your signature, what does lapped mean?

Haha just get XP I like that attitude. I dunno I am still torn, but this whole direct x10 is just to draw people into a flawed OS like vista. But thing is I don't use much devices like scanners and stuff but you never know I might just like vista. Or I could hate it, its really up in the air. I just would like to get the most of my card and system, I mean you spend this much money to lose out on some features, but then again my performance would suffer on Vista just a tad bit I would think.

But I think the most important thing planning my buying is getting a good CPU heatsink and case, thats the most important thing to me is your cooling choice and getting the best cooling you can. I use a headset at all times... So I don't care about noise, if it cools by getting 10 fans I will do it.

Also I will be getting that 300GB western digital 10,000 RPM for my OS and all my games on it. So that would decrease my loading times, then I will probably have my hard drive right now formated then used as a storage for movies, pictures stuff like that.
    Think thats good? I mean trying to be cost saving. I don't think it would be quirky like one poster suggests.

Don't really care if it ups my cost, I want the best air cooling I can install because thats the most important thing, getting these parts than getting sub-par cooling is somewhat useless.
    edited June 2008
    75F ambient idle temps (44-39-33-47C low) (48-44-35-50C high) 45-39-33-47C average~............load temps(67-59-55-63C low) (74-66-62-69C) 71-65-60-67C average~. For the load i started with the side off and put it on for the range of numbers. My vCore under load was 1.440v and 487x8, i think i have kept saying limit was 478 my bad reversed some numbers but it hits 3.9GHz. I haven't gotten it to go any higher, but on 3GHz the vCore should be able to come down that is just stable to fold for half and hour and can run 3dmark06 forever without crashing also superPI.

Oh and lapping is when you take a heatsink and sand it down in a manner to make it flatter, aim for perfection, and put an extremely smooth surface on it check these. Mine are mirror but not that good of one, I can still read the thermal paste label against them.
    edited June 2008
    Haha holy crap thats polished... Wow sanding.. very interesting man, is this only with certain heatsinks?
    edited June 2008
    I will be doing more research into this...
    edited June 2008
    it voids warranties if you do it on your processor, the heatspreader is copper and the is covered with nickel so you can't really hide that you did something to it.
    edited June 2008
    Why is it being covered if it transfers such great heat exchange, I have been reading its also a protective plate for electric static discharge and corrosion, I must say I tried lapping on a test processor it went ok but doing it on a q9450 would be a little crazy you crazy man :) and you lapped your gpu nice :P

Honestly I rather just water cool if this is the case here
    edited June 2008
    Just a question,

Now whats the difference between the extreme 1,000 dollar quad core and the other yorksfield... I am extremely confused... Is it just a overclocked yorksfield and slapped on extreme on the title?

That annoys me if it is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115051

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115042
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    The extremes are the cream-of-the-crop chips. Those are the ones that will run at a higher stable speed on the voltages Intel wants than any other chip of the same type.

Nothing stopping you from overclocking a "Lesser" Yorkfield, however. It'll work just fine.
    edited June 2008
    and they are unlocked, right.
    edited June 2008
    Also about Raid 0, what are the risks? If at all, I think Mas0n said to avoid raid 0 like the plague. Why? Especially since almost all high end game rigs use raid 0. I know the benefits but don't know the other things that come along with these benefits if you could explain.

I am thinking about getting the GX2 and good sound card, and potentially I don't mind a raid controller for my PCI slots. But I might hold out for the next new video card we will see.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2008
    Raid 0 has absolutely no redundancy. If one drive fails or gets corrupted, you lose everything you had. Raid 0+1 offers redundancy, but you have to have twice the drives to get the jorb done.
    edited June 2008
    Raid 0 has absolutely no redundancy. If one drive fails or gets corrupted, you lose everything you had. Raid 0+1 offers redundancy, but you have to have twice the drives to get the jorb done.

Ok see this is what I want to know, how does it fail or get corrupted because I know your not talking about one just dying out of bad life.

Also I back up all my data every weekend, I could care less about redundancy. Now that would be helpful for say a business of 4,000 employees yeah. But I want speed for my rig.