Nikon D60 vs. Cannon Rebel XTi

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Internet & Media
I am considering getting a nice camera. Both are about the same price. Both get good reviews on newegg/the web. Anyone have a good comparison or opinion on either or both?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    I recommend Canon over Nikon because of the quality and variety of accessories, including lenses, software, flashes, etc.

Want another recommendation? Every person at the LAN with a nice SLR had which brand? ;)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I recommend Nikon over Canon because of the quality and variety of accessories, including lenses, software, flashes, etc.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    the only issue i have with my canon digital rebel xt is that there is dust inside the 17-85 efs lens that i bought. this is a common problem, and canon has "acknowledged" that it occurs. i don't know if they've fixed it or not, though.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I am with Kwitko, my fondness is for Nikon after using both. As an entry level user though, it is merely a matter of comfort with the camera and price. I'd suggest you go to Ritz or a similar store, check out a few models and find what you like best.

I will say the one thing I enjoy about my Nikon--I cannot speak if this is the same for Canon--is the breadth of lenses I am able to use. I can utilize lenses from as far back as the mid-'70s without attachments and the only thing I lose is auto focus, which I don't use often anyhow.

To me, photography is about exploration. Brand matters little, it's what you're doing with it. One thing I will suggest is that you buy used. You can find some great deals on Craigslist and eBay, or here on the forums if you're lucky enough.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Nikon - lens quality.
    One thing I will suggest is that you buy used. You can find some great deals on Craigslist and eBay, or here on the forums if you're lucky enough.
    Better from Craigslist. That way you can actually pick the sucker up, take a few shots, and maybe even download the images to your camera to observe for dust marks, lens distortions, and proper colors.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I think the D60 is a better value proposition at the moment than the Rebel XTi. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either camera, but the D60 comes stock with a VR lens.

Right now I think the best deal going is this package at Costco. It's a D60 with 2 VR lenses for $825.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    And from what I've read the 18-55 VR kit lens far exceeds its price in terms of picture quality.

NIKON FTW. CANON GTFO.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    (Side bar: Was this originally in graphics? I feel like it was in Web and Media when I posted yesterday...)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Nomad wrote:
    I will say the one thing I enjoy about my Nikon--I cannot speak if this is the same for Canon--is the breadth of lenses I am able to use. I can utilize lenses from as far back as the mid-'70s without attachments and the only thing I lose is auto focus, which I don't use often anyhow.

One of the many reasons why I love my Sony/Minolta Alpha 100. Compatible with all Minolta SLR lenses from the late 70's on up.

But between the two, I'd have to side with Nikon. I'm a big fan of the D70, and I've heard lots of good regarding the D60.

But again, Nomad hit it with this one:

Nomad wrote:
    To me, photography is about exploration. Brand matters little, it's what you're doing with it. One thing I will suggest is that you buy used. You can find some great deals on Craigslist and eBay, or here on the forums if you're lucky enough.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Magic: ever make a decision?

Our new marketplace has basically every camera you could ever want. Pricegrabber-powered, so you find best prices all in one place.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Not yet. I went to best buy to check out both brands and both felt nice. It will come down to whichever one has the nicest bundle in September when i have the money to get it.