Cheap HI-Power psu ??

edited September 2009 in Hardware
Hi has any one use HI-Power psu they sell a 1000w and a 1300w
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135192
they are very cheap for the power they can give.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Cheap power supplies give cheap results.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    "Guaranteed Not To Dramatically Explode"

Excellent. I do think this video could use a Corsair comparison, even if it would be boring.

Also, it's exciting to see the Icrontic review of the DOMINATOR being highlighted as a Featured Review on the same page.
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    That was spectacular! ;)
  • edited August 2008
    so there may be a big difference quality.

if they do Explode can they kill over components? :confused: like a power surge
  • TvManPwnsTvManPwns Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited August 2008
    Yes it could definetly kill other components in your comp... Take my peice of crap i'm running, granted its and e-machines but still.... I put an extra drive bay and a 7600 GT in there and the power supply fried my vid card.... It still works, kinda. ( I think it was my power supply... According to Thrax "e-machine powersupplies of that age are natorious for ****ing up your comp." or somthing like that)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    liam wrote:
    if they do Explode can they kill over components? :confused: like a power surge

Yes. Even if they don't explode, a cheap PSU can ruin your computer. Computer parts require steady power at specific voltages. A cheap power supply can't supply stable power resulting in fried or underpowered components and instability. A quality PSU is the best insurance to having a stable computer that lasts.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited August 2008
    Yes, Liam DO NOT BUY A CHEAP PSU!
    Especiallhy since its powering a expensive system, thats like using a lock from the pound shop to lock up a £3000 bike. You will end up spending alot more fixing your pc if your PSU blows than you would just buying the better quality PSU
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited August 2008
    that was an excellent video thrax. and that pretty much sums it up, pay the extra now and you'll have something that'll last for the duration of this computer and beyond. get a bit more power than you really need for future upgrades, and aim for an 80+ certified psu w/ 500+ watts.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    Well, Capacitors age. One year of 24 hour days can knock alot of life out of a PSU. I change PSU's every time I make a new computer, even if it's only been five months. I say you shouldn't keep a PSU longer than one year.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Yea I am using a semi cheap one ( Micro ATX case ) as of this moment, BUT soon as i get paid again I will upgrade to a OCZ or Fortron source or Corsair. All depends whats on sale between them
  • edited August 2008
    If you can wait for your psu purchase, just check at the e-stores you shop at and catch them on sale. I recently bought a BFG ES800 on sale for $90 AR ($129 before rebate) and that psu normally sells for around $220. For quality psu reviews, I highly recommend the JonnyGuru website and also the HardOCP website too. Both do an excellent job of testing the power supplies and they also open them up and check build quality on them too. BTW, the BFG psu I bought has a lifetime warrantee too. :D

YAD, if you want to change a quality psu out every year, well it's your money. But there is no reason to change out a good psu every year; it's just a total waste of money. The better quality psu's use good caps in them and have 5 year warrantees. And they would warrantee them like that if they didn't think they would last 5+ years. :rolleyes:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    If you can wait for your psu purchase, just check at the e-stores you shop at and catch them on sale.
    Buy.com frequently has Corsair units for outstanding prices. Their service is also very good.
    For quality psu reviews, I highly recommend the JonnyGuru website and also the HardOCP website too.
    +1
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    marketplace.jpg

:D:D:D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2008
    Alternatively:
    picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=99

Just because I like the light theme. ;)
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited August 2008
    I dont know if you know, but he has bought a cooler master 850W modular PSU from ebuyer.
    Was it a good choice?
    I thought so.
  • edited August 2008
    the reviews all say that it is good qualiy and that they called it 850w because at 1000w the efficiency deopped below 80% to like 75%.
    and the down side, it has not got a no-off swich. (in the UK we have swiches on the wall so that is not a problem if it needs to be swiched off quickly)
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Agreed with the opinion in general. The PSU is not a part you want to go cheap on. If anything it is THE MOST important part not to cheap on.

I, for example, have an Antec 1000W PSU running a system that probably is drawing 500 watts at the outside at full load. I like to have extra room.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Who got tricked into posting by a spammer? Lordbean did!
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Seems so... I hardly ever read the post dates.