Yet another computer thread

neogeo0823neogeo0823 Deep within the bowels of a sperm whale
edited September 2008 in Hardware
I'm beginning to think that there should be some kind of megathread for PC parts lists.

Anyway, I'm going to be coming into some money this week and I've decided to buy myself a new PC. I've put together an almost-complete list of parts and I wanted some opinions on it before I begin buying things. I want the PC to be a relatively high-end one, maybe not bleeding-edge, but at least really capable. I'm seriously considering having an oil cooled PC, however, if I find an awesome enough case, I'll buy that instead. I'll be getting about $1800 total, but I'll set the budget at roughly $1500 for this.

So, here's the list I've made so far. I got these items because I figured that it was the best bang for the buck, but if anyone thinks that there is a better deal, or that I could really get a better part instead, then let me know.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    marketplace.jpg:D

For your keyboard choice, check out Snarkasm's keyboard roundup.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Case: can't go wrong with the Antec 900. It's a case you'll want to keep for upgrades and future rebuilds/new configurations.

If you have money left after you determine the exact configuration you want, recommend you get a second hard drive and an external enclosure (or a ready-made external drive) for a data backup system.
  • neogeo0823neogeo0823 Deep within the bowels of a sperm whale
    edited September 2008
    Ah, good suggestions so far, but how about the components list I have come up with already? See, I did a project like this a couple years ago, and back then, I was able to piece together a really good system for about $1450. Granted, I've got to pick out a couple more components, but so far this list is running me around $850. I'm kind of starting to worry that this list is either too good to be true, or I've assembled an underpowered PC.

Thoughts on that?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Hardware has gotten stunningly cheap. I was able to put together a monster of a computer for $600 for a recent article. :) If you won't be overclocking much, your choices are perfect.
    edited September 2008
    Awesome. :thumbsup:

I won't be doing too much, if any, overclocking. I like to think I'm a gamer, but not a really hardcore one. Overclocking isn't something I feel is absolutely necessary.

Anyway, now I need advice on peripherals. I read the Keyboard Roundup article that was posted a little while ago, and while it was informative, I don't think any of the keyboards that were reviewed were really for me. Because this computer is going to be hooked into my entertainment center, I'm going to need a wireless mouse and keyboard. Any suggestions for those? The last time I did a project like this, I was looking at Ideazon's boards, specifically the Zboard that they have. The customizability and easy-changing keypads seem really nice, however, I don't see a wireless model on their website. Does anyone know if there's anything out there that will turn a wired keyboard into a wireless one?

While I'm asking questions, what about mice? I'm currently using a GE wireless mouse, and I really don't like it that much because the cursor tends to skip and the mouswheel will randomly scroll up or down for no readily apparent reason. The only reason I bought it in the first place was because it was on sale and my old one broke.

Oh, and before I forget, there was one thing I did want to do. Since this will have to go in my entertainment center, and since my TV is over a decade old at this point, I figured it was time to replace it with something a bit better. I figure a nice tv with a monitor plug in the back(or a monitor with the tri-color plug set in the back) would be a nice replacement for my old beat up tv. Any suggestions there? I'll have to do measurements to see how big it can be, but in the mean time, if there's a brand name I should watch for that would be really nice, I'd be happy to hear it.

Finally, what about a sound system? I don't really need a full on 5.1 surround sound system, but I'd like something nice. Any particular brands I should look for?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    The zBoard is a nice idea but the keyboard itself is not fantastic. We gave away several at one of the LANs and it is telling that out of 40+ geeks, we couldn't give away the last one. I still have a used zBoard in the "graveyard" at ICHQ. The default keyset is a mediocre keyboard and changing them out is too much of a pain in the ass. They don't have a wireless one that I know of.

What's your peripheral budget? Logitech makes a very swank setup called the DiNovo Edge, but it is over $100. Other than that, I usually tell people to go to a local retail center and just try out keyboards because it's one of those things you sort of need to feel out.

As far as displays, Icrontic loves Samsung. We've had our 46" 1080p display since January and it rules. Absolutely no complaints. Prices start around $980 for 40".
    edited September 2008
    My entire budget for this computer couldn't be more than ~$1500-$1600. I've already spent ~$850, and I still need a mouse, keyboard, case, speakers, and monitor.

It looks like the monitor may be the most expensive component in this setup, but there might be some good news. I just started working at Best Buy, and if I wait the 30 days for my employee discount to kick in, I could get an awesome deal on a really nice tv. I'll have to shop around, find a good deal, and see what I can work out at my job.

As for keyboards, yeah, I'll go feal around a few boards today at work, along with some mice. Any suggestions on a brand/series of mouse to buy? I'm not looking for something that's ultra sensitive with 80 buttons, but i definately don't want the mousewheel scrolling randomly when I'm playing games and whatnot.

Now for speakers. Any recommended brands to look out for? I was also considering buying a nice gaming headset, which would also have to be wireless. Any suggestions there?
    edited September 2008
    Not to be a smartass, but "nice gaming headset" and "wireless" is currently not possible.
    edited September 2008
    Ah, well that's why I ask. Are there any good ones with a really long cord? Failing that, do they make cord extenders? Honestly, the headset is really an optional accessory, and while it would be nice to have, I'm not going to really miss not having one.
    edited September 2008
    If you're looking to get a PHENOMINAL headset, I point you no further than the Sennheiser PC-350. I believe the cord is 12 or 14', and it's possible to buy extenders. The microphone and sound quality are HOLY CHRIST ON A CRISPCAKE.

Seriously. There's no better headset.
    edited September 2008
    Ok, after a couple days of looking around, I now have some more questions.

First, I realized I never put any thought into an OS. Yes, I know, stupid me. -_-" Anyway, I've always like Windows XP, but I hear that it's being phased out in favor of Vista these days. I've seen a couple different versions of Vista available, and I'm wondering which one would be the best to get. 32 bit, 64 bit, ultimate, basic, I don't know.

Next, I also forgot a wireless internet card. I currently have Verison Fios installed, so would I be better off contacting them for a card, or would it be better to buy my own card? If the latter, which one?

Finally(for now), I've decided I need a chair to go with this. Since the PC won't be at a desk, I need to find a way to easily sit down and enjoy the computer for a while. The best result I could think up would be a chair that has some kind of tray or desktop like surface that I could set a keyboard and mouse on. Think like those old school desks that have the fold-away tray, but much more comfortable. Any ideas there?
    edited September 2008
    1. Go with XP.
    2. Get your own card.
    3. No idea. :)