Wall mount PC case design

13»

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited December 2008
    That is a lot of fans, do you really need them all?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I have eight 120mm fans running. I need some fan speed control badly
    1. As Bothered asked, "Are you sure you need all those fans?" I have no idea why you would.

2. A free solution to lowering the fan speeds, assuming that there's not a software controller, is to short the fans to 7V. I've done that to a number of fans. Not all fans will operate on 7 volts, but most will.

How to short fans to 7 volts
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    1. As Bothered asked, "Are you sure you need all those fans?" I have no idea why you would.

2. A free solution to lowering the fan speeds, assuming that there's not a software controller, is to short the fans to 7V. I've done that to a number of fans. Not all fans will operate on 7 volts, but most will.

How to short fans to 7 volts

Well I know for sure I don't need one of the top exhaust fans but the symmetry is nice. lol

One reason it is so loud is because I don't have any fan guards on at the moment. So really they are spinning up to the highest rpm they are capable of with the lack of restriction.

That is a great link and suggestion Leo. I'm going to try a few things to quite them down but if they don't work, a snipping I will go.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Sup all,

I still haven't done my wiring in the case nor have I tidied up the wires dropping down from the case. There also are a few little odds in ends I'll be adding to this setup. So there will be more pictures to follow.

I'm really happy with it over all. I think a wall mountable pc has a place and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more wall mountable cases in the future. After my cnc is complete, I'm going to build two more. One for an HTPC and a v2 of this build.

This has been a great learning experience for me. And I really owe it to you guys and this forum. Thanks for the encouragement, suggestions, and kind words. You guys really kept me going.

BTW, it has a name, G.A.G.U. (pronounced gagoo). For Geek All Grown Up. Because really, if it wasn't for my children, I would have never needed a pc on the wall. But now that I have one, It just feels so natural.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Looks lurvley. Sure is nice to reclaim the desk space, eh?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Kwitko wrote:
    Looks lurvley. Sure is nice to reclaim the desk space, eh?

LOL , and no more banging my knees when I do a 360 in my chair.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    Wow, that actually seems practical. I could really use something like that in my own small apartment.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    DrLiam wrote:
    Wow, that actually seems practical. I could really use something like that in my own small apartment.

Well hit me up in a few months when I'm learning to use my cnc router. Maybe you could inherit one of of my works in progress. :)
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    Komete wrote:
    Well hit me up in a few months when I'm learning to use my cnc router. Maybe you could inherit one of of my works in progress. :)

:D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Looks fantastic!
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    Wow, Komete, it really came out killer. Great work. Such a cool project, too. I've been dying to build a PC in the wall, which would be a very similar enclosure... But I still rent. =[

As soon as I own my own house, I'm taking a RotoZip to the wall next to the TV to install a killer HTPC/server in there!
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Looks fantastic!
    Khaos wrote:
    Wow, Komete, it really came out killer. Great work. Such a cool project, too. I've been dying to build a PC in the wall, which would be a very similar enclosure... But I still rent. =[

As soon as I own my own house, I'm taking a RotoZip to the wall next to the TV to install a killer HTPC/server in there!

Thanks Ghoosodum. I'm really liking it so far.

And thanks Khaos. With your modding skills that's quite a complement.

About the in the wall case. You should do one of those hidden doors on that bad boy. Any way you do it, I'm sure it'll be slick.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    Komete wrote:
    About the in the wall case. You should do one of those hidden doors on that bad boy. Any way you do it, I'm sure it'll be slick.
    Yeah dude, depending on the wall layout I'm thinking it would be really cool to install the access door on the back side of it and have the "presentation side" of the case be a window pretty similar to how your wall mount case turned out. It would be kind of like an in-wall fish tank; in fact, I have some "interesting" ideas about installing a thin fish tank in front of the computer components so that there are fish swimming around in front of it all.