Laptop HDD with Free-fall sensor

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Hardware
I've looked on Newegg, and I can't seem to find a laptop hard drive with a free-fall sensor in their catalog.

Does anyone know of any reputable resellers who stock these?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Free-fall sensor. You mean, like a Wii-mote? You can wave the laptop around for sports games? That'd be a little heavy. Hope it has a good grips and a really strong wrist strap!

OK, seriously, what would a free-fall sensor accomplish? Does it lock the drive heads if it senses sudden G-force change?
  • edited November 2008
    Yes, that's what it's supposed to do, Leo. But IMO, unless you are doing a whole bunch of stuff on the move it would be money wasted paying for that feature. I guess it all depends on the way you use your laptop whether this feature might be advantageous to have.

BTW, I found a 320 gig Seagate with G-Force at Mwave.com, GH. I've bought from them in the past and had no problems. And at $91.90 plus shipping that is a good price, IMO.
    edited November 2008
    I believe the drives in Toughbooks have that feature. They are sometimes marketed with someone dropping one or tossing while running for a demonstration of their toughness.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Certain ThinkPads had them too. My brother's work laptop has it.
    edited November 2008
    When my wife knocks me down, I usually get right back. Thinking is sometimes impaired afterward.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    OK... Lenovo has an accelerometer built in to the laptop not the hard drive. When it senses movement, it tells the HD to park the heads. It works great. Apple's have had the accelerometers in them for years also....

Recently, some hard drive manufacturers have started to add the accelerometer to the drive itself.

I have no idea where to find them though. Seagate has them but Newegg doesn't list them.... :scratch:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yes, that's what it's supposed to do, Leo. But IMO, unless you are doing a whole bunch of stuff on the move it would be money wasted paying for that feature. I guess it all depends on the way you use your laptop whether this feature might be advantageous to have.

BTW, I found a 320 gig Seagate with G-Force at Mwave.com, GH. I've bought from them in the past and had no problems. And at $91.90 plus shipping that is a good price, IMO.

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks mudd!