which client?

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Folding@Home
WindowsXP 32-bit

do I want 6.22 SMP Deino MPI or 6.22 SMP MPICH?

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    so I spent over an hour trying to get either client to work. what a bitch.

seriously, make it simple like the gpu2 client pande!

anyways. install.bat does not like me. it could not connect to my user account even when i put the proper password in.

so i guess i'll just run 2 instances of the normal client on the imac core duo
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Fatcat. Run command as admin and then point cmd at the install.bat. You should be able to access your account then, or atleast I could when I had the same issue.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    SMP client recommended for HT machines too or just actual multi-core processors?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    No... Hyperthreaded CPU's will not do well with SMP.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Muchas gracias, Q.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    No prob... that's what friends are for. :)
    edited November 2008
    Sonorous wrote:
    Fatcat. Run command as admin and then point cmd at the install.bat. You should be able to access your account then, or atleast I could when I had the same issue.

my only account on the pc is the "Administator"
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Well I have no idea. To be honest I got excited and saw someone with the problem I was having and thought I could help. Only difference is I am running Vista. So I had to do the 'Right click run as administrator' thingy.< super technical word. Where is the install.bat at on your disk?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Do you have .net installed, at least .net 2.0? SMP on Windows will not work without account login (which you've done) and .net.
    edited November 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Do you have .net installed, at least .net 2.0? SMP on Windows will not work without account login (which you've done) and .net.

yus, .net is installed. I'll post the actual message once I get done installing/testing this thermalright NB heatsink.
    edited November 2008
    ok, I got it going. used the MPICH client and it is churning away now.

I didnt have a password setup for the account properly.
    edited November 2008
    I didnt have a password setup for the account properly.
    Well, that it explains. If you don't want to be bothered with the login hassle when Windows starts, use TweakUI to log into the account automatically. I never log in to any of my SMP Folders. It's invisible.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    TweakUI is good stuff, but if all you need to do is set an account to automatically login you don't need it.

1. Run > "control userpasswords2"
    2. uncheck the box: Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer
    3. Click OK
    4. Enter username/password of the account you want to automatically login

Done
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, that will work as well. I've used both methods. I use other tweaks in TweakUI, so it's just natural to use for logging in.