Computer shuts down seconds after turning it on

edited November 2008 in Hardware
Hi everybody, I'm new to this site.
My computer shuts down a few seconds after it turns on. The problem started when I was recording some music and a window popped up and said that there was not enough virtual memory so it was making more. A few minutes later the computer crashed and it sounded like a fan was crapping out. The fan works fine. I tried to turn the system back on. It got all the way to the windows loading screen and says there is not enough virtual memory then immediatly shuts off. I put the hard drive in another computer and deleted a bunch of files hoping this would fix the problem. No dice. I tried to restore windows with the disc but it shuts down shortly after. The first time I try to turn it on, it gets almost to windows before shuting down. Every time after that, the time before it turns off is less and less. I thought it could be the P/S so I put a brand new one in. No dice. I even added another fan to the mix. Same problem. Any suggestions of what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Heatsink fan. Even if it's spinning, it may not be moving enough air to cool your processor. Your system will shut down if it gets too hot. If you try and reboot it, it'll happen faster and faster the more it heatsoaks.

Try cleaning off your heatsink, blowing the dust out, and remounting it with good thermal paste.

Welcome to Icrontic. We can figure this out.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Welcome to {IC}.... Buddy is correct and I will add to his advice. You're probably looking at a hardware issue NOT a Windows problem. Generally, when a PC fails to POST or crashes within a few seconds of power on, it's a dead give away that something hardware related is bonkers. Unplug all your devices and reconnect them one at a time to try to find out if one of the components is the problem. The CPU assembly (CPU, Heatsink, &fan), memory, video card, and power supply the only devices that are required to start the system. Add in CD-Rom, next Hard drive, and continue on.

My guess a memory stick is loose/ dying or the power supply is dying. Report back when you've done the component testing and let us know what you found. We will guide you through the next step based on what you find. ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Probable causes in this order:

heat
    memory
    hard drive

BTW, I had to replace a primary hard drive just this weekend that was causing nearly the exact symptoms J~ describes above. At first I though it was memory. Memory testing showed no problems. Pulled the drive and tested it in another, known good computer, and it was indeed bad.
  • edited November 2008
    Wow, thank you everyone. You are amazing. I totally thought I would have to brick this computer. Heres what I did. I cleaned everything (there was a lot of dust). I took the fan/heat sink off and cleaned them. I didn't have any paste but there was some left over on the sides so I scraped and spread. Next I took out my memory and cleaned it then snugged it in. I did look like it may have been loose but that could have happened during my frustrations. I plugged everything back in and it works like it did before (not quite a dream but still...). Once again, Thank you. I'll definitely be checking here for all of my computer problems.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    I would highly recommend getting a tube of high end thermal paste and replacing the scrapings that you used - chances are you'll be encountering this problem again sooner rather than later.

I use OCZ FreezeTC

Welcome to Icrontic :) Can I recommend our Left 4 Dead Scavenger Hunt Contest?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Ditto what Prime said. Snag some good thermal paste. It'll make a big difference. Just clean the old stuff off with some fingernail polish remover or rubbing alcohol and apply the new stuff as per its directions.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Another satisified customer... may I even say we have another IC member? ;)

Also... check out out little humanitarian project called Fold@Home. Is a project to help Stanford University study diseases like cancer, Parkinson disease, and Alzheimer's.