I'm gonna go for 4Ghz

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Hardware
I'm gonna join the 4GHz club. As soon as my Newegg order arrives, I'll be rocking the following:

DFI LT X48-T3RS
OCZ ReaperX 2GB DDR3-1333
E8400
Xigmatek HDT-S1283
and some OCZ Freeze

It can be done. Praz did it. I'm gonna make it happen.

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    :thumbup

Sweet!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    You're making me want to upgrade my CPU. Quit it.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Make it happen cap'n!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Go pete!
    edited November 2008
    Newegg says the parts come in Wednesday!
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    How high does the multi go on this board?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    He'll take it to eleven.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    damn I quit at 3.6 with mine 400 x 9
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited November 2008
    Hey, I have that heat sink. I'll be watching this thread to see how it does. I was deciding if I should keep it or get something new for my next system.
  • edited November 2008
    If you get an E0 stepping, 4 GHz should be fairly easy to hit, Pete. And since the E0's have been out a while and the E8400 is a good seller, I think you stand a pretty good chance of getting the new stepping. From all I've heard, they overclock more easily and also run cooler. Good luck with it, Pete. :D
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    shoot ull do fine my E8400 runs at 3.6 at 90*F with my dual orb
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    So Pete, did you get the goods today?

Looking forward to your results!
    edited December 2008
    I've got it all here sitting next to me in my office. I can't wait to head home and install everything. This is gonna be EPIC!
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    I've got it all here sitting next to me in my office. I can't wait to head home and install everything. This is gonna be EPIC!

Post some pictures man. And screen shots alone don't count. :p
    edited December 2008
    Spent last night installing Vanilla Forums on a website so I wasn't able to get my rig up and running. Everything is still in boxes :( Hopefully tonight. (fingers crossed)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2008
    4GHz will be a walk in the park, Pete. Set your sights higher :) I've got an older revision E8400 that does 4GHz without too much trouble. As mudd mentioned, most of the new ones are E0 revision that'll do quite a bit more (think 4.5GHz)
    edited December 2008
    I'll probably be either RAM-limited or board-limited with this system. Just gonna have to see how things go.

Last night was an exercise in failure.
    The case I was planning on using until I had the funds to get a cool new one wouldn't work with my OCZ 720W modular PSU. Mount holes didn't work.
    I went to Best Buy and got an Antec 900 because it's all they had. Went home and installed everything. Went to connect the EPS12V connector and the cable was too short. Pulled out the PSU and installed my SiltentXStream 600W. It works but there's a mess of cables everywhere, I tried to tuck/bind/manage them but I'm still not pleased.

By 1 a.m. I had everything installed (I think) so I went to bed without powering it on. The booting/installing Windows heartache can begin tonight.

Photos are coming this evening. Victory comes with persistence.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    The case I was planning on using until I had the funds to get a cool new one wouldn't work with my OCZ 720W modular PSU. Mount holes didn't work.
    This concerns me.. what case?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    FWIW, I also have an Antec 900 and my OCZ PSU's cable is too short. Had to buy an Antec PSU.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    Gah, all this suspense is giving me blue balls. o_O
    edited December 2008
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    This concerns me.. what case?

It's an older Deer case. Doesn't appear on their website anymore. It's very similar to this on the inside however. The two screws on the right side fit fine, but the holes on the left were too low compared to the threaded holes on the PSU. Probably 1/4" off center. With only two points attached to the flimsy metal, the PSU drooped due to the case's crappy PSU support bracket, causing it to sit on the fins of my heatsink.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    It's an older Deer case. Doesn't appear on their website anymore. It's very similar to this on the inside however. The two screws on the right side fit fine, but the holes on the left were too low compared to the threaded holes on the PSU. Probably 1/4" off center. With only two points attached to the flimsy metal, the PSU drooped due to the case's crappy PSU support bracket, causing it to sit on the fins of my heatsink.

Well Buddy, don't let two little wholes hold you back. Just man up and grab a drill and make some new ones. But it does sound like you upgraded to a much better case. Maybe you're better off after all. Then again, I couldn't imagine best buy's prices being anywhere near reasonable.

And do you know, last year, there wasn't a single SATA cable in that whole store. I wonder if they stock one now.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Don't they make ATX cable extenders? I think I have one.
    edited December 2008
    IT'S ALIVE!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Don't they make ATX cable extenders?
    Yes, but in other news....
    IT'S ALIVE!
    What, is that all we get? Did the monster eat poor BuddyJ just as he was preparing to tell us more? :hair:
    edited December 2008
    I'm installing all the requisite programs. Next is a BIOS update, and then I can get to tweaking the settings and going for speed.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    IT'S ALIVE!
    woot
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    pics or gtfo
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    jared wrote:
    pics or gtfo