My Account button

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited December 2008 in Community
You know how you can get used to something because you've used it for years?

The disappearance of the text link to the UserCP/My Account on the left side of the menu bar thing and its transmogrification into a button on the right side of the screen is totally screwing with my head. Also, there's nothing on the right side of the screen that I ever click on, so it feels a little out of place.

[/whine]

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Then scroll down and use the "My Control Panel" on the bottom Nav bar, it's on the left.

:p
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It still means it's not in the same place that I'm used to it, although it helps that it's on the left. It'd be nice if the link was still on the top nav bar, since the two are almost the same anyway.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Sorry :-/ That's the trade-off for consistency across the entire site, rather than just the forum.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited December 2008
    At least it's no longer missing from the black theme. :D

I like the fact that the whole site is consistent. Concurrent consistency is more important than historical consistency. Site is looking great, Keebz.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    After a half-day adjustment period getting used to the My Account button, I have to say I like it a lot.

It's really nice to be able to go to my User CP straight from the front page.

A++++++ fast shipping. Would do business with again.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    After a half-day adjustment period getting used to the My Account button, I have to say I like it a lot.
    +
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Consistency FTW.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Love the user bar. Can it float/ always be on the top of the page even after scrolling down? Just curious....
    edited December 2008
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Love the user bar. Can it float/ always be on the top of the page even after scrolling down? Just curious....

Genius.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Genius.
    Don't start that discussion.... my therapist charges double for those inflicted with a false sense of grandeur.... :buck:
    edited December 2008
    Having it float was an initial idea but I figured I was stirring the pot enough without permanently eating screen real estate :o
    edited December 2008
    my therapist charges double for those inflicted with a false sense of grandeur....
    Well then, you and I could make him quite wealthy! :hair::crazy::eek3:
    Love the user bar. Can it float/ always be on the top of the page even after scrolling down?
    That would be award winning awesomesauce! Come on Keebs, you've got the time! :wink:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    It would be nice to have constant access to the button, but I'd perfer it not eat the real estate by floating (even though it's not very tall). Is there any way to make a keyboard shortcut to it? I suspect not, but I thought I'd ask.

What I find weird is that even though wide screen LCDs are now the standard for desktops as well as laptops, a lot of newly refreshed software (Office 2007) and web designs are eating even more vertical real estate. You'd think it would have pushed things the other direction.
    edited December 2008
    While we are on this topic, and for Matt when you some day have the time....

Why are text boxes for thread replies, PMs, and signatures so damned small? It's like they were designed for a cellphone LCD. Even with a 1024X768 res laptop, those silly boxes are tiny. I realize it's the VB default, but it's boneheaded, two decades out of date.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I changed account settings today and it took me longer than needed to find what 'My Account.' It's too small, too far away from everything else and a different color scheme.

I realize those three hierarchical decisions were made to separate so you could see it, but it doesn't work that way. It's unobtrusive and falls off the page.

After Ghoosdum got used to it he liked it, but users shouldn't have to get used to or search around for necessary functions like that.

Also, on another note, the buttons need to be something other than embossed. They are also squared partially at the corners and it looks a bit junky compared to the other design here.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    Having it float was an initial idea but I figured I was stirring the pot enough without permanently eating screen real estate :o

I think a floating bar would be rad. It would be much more usable, and you could even add more functionality to it.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    PLEASE MAKE IT AN OPTION FOR A FLOATING BAR.

as in I dont want it.

kthxbai
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Yeah option only, please.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    PLEASE MAKE IT AN OPTION FOR A FLOATING BAR.

as in I dont want it.

kthxbai

^ this
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    In fact, why don't you make every aspect of the forums design optional, ala myspace, so that we can each completely customize our Icrontic experience.
    edited December 2008
    Good idea. I think all websites should be more like myspace, that way people will begin taking up new hobbies or spending more time outdoors.
    edited December 2008
    Nomad wrote:
    I changed account settings today and it took me longer than needed to find what 'My Account.'
    Are you sure it's not just because it's a change? Now you know where it is.
    Nomad wrote:
    It's too small, too far away from everything else and a different color scheme.
    The site's colors are blue (#2758A8), orange (#E76105), and black. The button is based in orange (#E76105) with the emboss effect every other button on the site has (which is a convention from vBulletin and most other forum software).

For the rest of my justification for its design, see http://www.newegg.com/. It occurred to me that borrowing their paradigm might be helpful, as some of our users may be familiar with that site.