Looking to Upgrade processor. Advice?

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited March 2009 in Hardware
Gents,

I currently have an Athalon 64 3700+ processor with 1G of RAM and am looking for a bit more speed. Anyone have some advice on how too soup up my machine a bit?

I do some gaming and home recording, and sometimes I just have a lot going on on the desktop.

Thanks!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Yossarian, you state you want a new processor and then comment on the system RAM. Then you ask about improving the whole system.

Is it a safe assumption thay you simply want a faster computer? If that's right, then please do a couple things for us:

Download and run Belarc Advisor. Then tell us more about your system

Processor (CPU)
    Video Card
    Memory
    Motherboard brand and model

What power supply is in your system. - brand, model, and total available Watts rating

Alright, the next set of questions:

What is your budget for upgrading? What do you wish to do with your computer that you can't do know. Or what current performance with your computer is not satisfactory?
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited March 2009
    All great questions. As mentioned above, the CPU is an 1 AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor

MoBo is an ASUS A8N5X 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD, and the video card is a MSI RX800-TD128E Radeon X800 128MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16

PS is an Antec EA-650, 650W

Memory is CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2PT

machine seems sluggish when lots of apps are open and running, which is often. Budget is under $1000, preferrably way under.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2009
    Socket 939 is at a premium nowadays since AMD doesn't produce them anymore. No point in trying to upgrade the cpu and memory. Your best bet would be to buy a new motherboard, cpu, and memory. You can put together a great 4/3/2 core system for around 180 to 250. There are great deals to be had from both AMD and Intel. If you wanted to upgrade your video card too, you could and still come under 300. Just need to reuse your harddrives, dvdroms, case...etc

Did you build your last one?
    edited March 2009
    Whoa, we are moving too fast. He said "sluggish" when lots of applications open. Yoss, you might be able make that system snappy enough with just a RAM upgrade. 1GB wasn't even a good standard three years ago! RAM is cheap right now. Double or quadruple your RAM quantity. That might be all the upgrade necessary to make the computer satisfying for your uses.

Oh, wait..you have DDR and not DDR2. No, DDR is not so cheap. Maybe you could find a deal on Craigslist. But apart from that, I'm not sure I'd want to put much money into a platform that's at the end of the road.

But if you do wish to spend money on that computer, easily the best, most immediate improvement would be significantly increasing the RAM quantity.

Help me out guys, his motherboard will support how much RAM?
    edited March 2009
    Ah, see this is why I talk to you guys! If I need a whole new setup then so be it. I did build my last one, so lets talk about what Komete suggested.....
    edited March 2009
    What do you want to do with the system:

games? what level of gaming?
    office applications
    photo/video work - casual, or intense?
    home theater?
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited March 2009
    Like Leonardo said, we definitely need to know what you intend to use the system for.

If the gaming you're doing is just on the level of Starcraft 1 or even World of Warcraft, you don't really need to do much. If you plan to play Call of Duty 5 or Far Cry 2 then we've got a lot to work on.

Office Apps -- usually all you need to do here is add in another stick of RAM if you are having problems.

For casual photowork and occasional video editing same as above for office apps. If you're going to do hardcore encoding or really work the Photoshop, then you need a much better procie.

Home Theater? You don't even need to touch the main system, I would just advise you to plop in a new soundcard.

But regardless, for half of your budget of $1000, we can put together something that can do well in all those tasks. But if your demands are not that large, you can probably get away spending just $100 to $200 on some choice upgrades.
    edited March 2009
    I do some pretty intense gaming, Call of Duty, Half Life far Cry are all pretty typical, but all those seem to work OK, but I know the graphics could be better. More RAM is a given I think, that would help the sluggish office apps. I dont use it for home theater, but I have a decent sound card because I do some home recording.

That said, should I just get some more RAM and see how that works first?
    edited March 2009
    Yes, try the RAM first. See if you can find some used, that way, if you do build a new machine and sell old components, you won't lose much on the RAM. After all, if your principal complaint right now is general sluggishness (the computer, not you or your friends :crazy:), then RAM might be a very simple fix. If not, you'll still have your cash to proceed with a new build.
    edited March 2009
    OK. DDR ram is sold in 1G increments. I already have 1G, but Ive heard that you shouldnt mix. My mobo handles 4G, should I start from scratch? Newegg has it for $30 per Gig...
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2009
    It's best to have matched sets as a way of avoiding compatibility issues. But it dosn't mean mixed sets won't work. I'm runnign 4 gig's mixed. 2 sticks of one manufacturer and 2 of another and they work fine, even overclocked.

Call me crazy, but I forsee a complete upgrade in your near future. You're going to get a boost, but I don't think you will be satisfied.

OK. DDR ram is sold in 1G increments. I already have 1G, but Ive heard that you shouldnt mix. My mobo handles 4G, should I start from scratch? Newegg has it for $30 per Gig...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It seems so painfully wrong to be buying DDR memory right now. :/
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited March 2009
    I would also suggest you do a general cleanup of your computer's software installations.

Frankly, 1GB of RAM on XP is enough that you should never have to worry about office apps running slow. You probably have a spaghetti plate of applications installed that are having a significant effect on your PC's performance.
    edited March 2009
    OK. Talk to me about sensible upgrade possibilities, with a look towards futher compatibility.

I need a new mobo if I want different RAM, and Mochan, do you want to see a Hijack log on what I have running?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    There are some dual core Opteron processors that might be compatible with your motherboard with a bios flash, but even then, a platform change on AMD is inexpensive, you could easily buy a 7xx chipset, Athlon X2, and DDR2 for under $200 total right now, probably a much better investment than sinking more into a Socket 939.
    edited March 2009
    So does that mean replacing the mobo? What makes the most sense looking towards future expandability/compatibility?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2009
    Take the plunge. Even the more cheaper motherboard and cpu combinations you can get today would be greater than any pricey upgrade from where you are at. Why sink money into a ship that's already sailed?

AMD looks to be the best for future protection. AM2 has a lot of play left in it. Phenom's are real cheap. Phenom2's have greater performance but carry a heftier price tag.

There's also great value with intel's E5200 cpu. I just upgraded my uncles pc with one and a gigabyte motherboard, coupled with 4 gigs of memory. For around 190 shipped, I was shocked at the performance difference between that and my outdated AMD 64x2 system @2.5ghz. I ended up overclocking it to a safe 3.2ghz on the stock HSF and walked away. He's been useing it for months now without a single crash. He doesn't even know it is overclocked.

I think the two best low budget deals on the market are AMD's Phenom II tri-core and Intels E5200. You'd save more going with Intel's e5200 but AMD's phenom 2's tripple cores ofers you greater over all performance between the two.

MY 2c

So does that mean replacing the mobo? What makes the most sense looking towards future expandability/compatibility?
    edited March 2009

Yes, the motherboard would have to change. What kind of windows install do you have? Is it a retail copy? If so, you can easily change the motherboard and continue to run.

Depending on your needs, if you want a decent system for a single video card solution, there are AM2+ boards out there right now based on the 770/700 chipset for as little as $75, and they are flashable to work with the current crop of AM3 CPU's.

If you want a good basic board with integrated graphics, cant go wrong with the 780G,

If you want to have a board with crossfire multi gpu capability, might want to take the plunge spend about $125 on a 790/750 chipset.

The CPU is entirely dependant on your requirements and budget, but thats the nice thing about the AMD platform, it accepts the AM2, AM2+, and in many cases the AM3 with a bios flash (I am running an AM3 tripple core on a 780 native AM2+ board)

What are your user requirements? Are you a gamer? Video nut? Photo editor? Do you have any specific needs for your system?
    edited March 2009
    Good stuff guys. Here's what I'm looking at.....

ASUS M4A78T-E ATX DDR3 AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Quad-core Processor
    Socket AM2+

And 4 gigs of RAM

Comes in around $400. Pricey, but seems like it will do me for another few years. That CPU is compatible with that mobo right?
    edited March 2009
    Good stuff guys. Here's what I'm looking at.....

ASUS M4A78T-E ATX DDR3 AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Quad-core Processor
    Socket AM2+

And 4 gigs of RAM

Comes in around $400. Pricey, but seems like it will do me for another few years. That CPU is compatible with that mobo right?

The Phenom II 920 is one of the last AM2+ parts, its a great CPU, but its only compatable with AM2+ motherboards that support 125Watt CPU's, and DDR2 memory,

What you can do, is keep the motherboard you selected, which is the latest and greatest, you will need to buy an AM3 CPU and DDR3 memory to support it.

If I were you, Trying to get a good deal, check this out, its a combo price that boarders on silly. Its only $211 for a full featured 790/750 chipset (all of AMD's latest tech), and a tripple core unlocked cpu that you can easily overclock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165028
    edited March 2009
    The Phenom II 920 is one of the last AM2+ parts, its a great CPU, but its only compatable with AM2+ motherboards that support 125Watt CPU's, and DDR2 memory,

What you can do, is keep the motherboard you selected, which is the latest and greatest, you will need to buy an AM3 CPU and DDR3 memory to support it.

If I were you, Trying to get a good deal, check this out, its a combo price that boarders on silly. Its only $211 for a full featured 790/750 chipset (all of AMD's latest tech), and a tripple core unlocked cpu that you can easily overclock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165028

By the way, the motherboard is a very full featured AM2+, the only difference when using AM3 processors on an AMis DDR2 vs. DDR3 support, if in doubt, run a 64 bit OS, and just load it with 8 gigs of realy inexpensive DDR2 800, it will provide a load of memory bandwidth for very little cash right now.

Also, you will need to bring your own video card to the party, that board is crossfire ready, but has not integrated graphics. If you have not considered a modern video card and you want to stay inside of that budget of $400, you can get that 8 gigs of DDR2 (overkill, but reasonbly priced overkill), and get something like the ATI Radeon 4830 and you could always add one if you wanted a little more kick in the graphics later on.

I have used that board (customer paid more for it a month ago), Its a realy flexable solution, plus look at the pictures on that board, they throw in a load of connectivity, SATA cables, SATA power adapters, rear SATA bracket, its loaded.
    edited March 2009
    Thanks, that is a good price, bt the mobo got some sketchy reviews. This AM3 will work with the first mobo I selected right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103650

Oh, and my video card is pretty old. Its a MSI RX800-TD128E Radeon X800 128MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16, I suppose I should update that as well? I do play a lot of games....
    edited March 2009
    Thanks, that is a good price, bt the mobo got some sketchy reviews. This AM3 will work with the first mobo I selected right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103650

Oh, and my video card is pretty old. Its a MSI RX800-TD128E Radeon X800 128MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16, I suppose I should update that as well? I do play a lot of games....

Yes, the AM3 based Phenom II 810 will work fine in the origional Asus board you selected.

Don't forget to buy new DDR3 memory, it will be required. and I would recomend an update on the video card, that X800 was a great card for its time, but for just a little cash you would not belive the upgrade you could buy.

If your looking to maintain a reasonable budget, consider a 4830, its a nice balance of performance, price, and reasonable power draw, and it plays most modern games details cranked, in high resolution, except perhaps Crysis and Crysis Warhead, which you will have to compromise some detail on, but even then your only $99 away from adding a 2nd one in crossfire on that mobo if you decide that a single 4830 does not provide you the kick you need. Its just amazing how much graphics power a single C note will buy today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102822
    edited March 2009
    Sold!

Will this require a reformat of the C drive? Or is it plug and play?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Reformat. New chipset drivers = new Windows install.
    edited March 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Reformat. New chipset drivers = new Windows install.

Absolutely correct, will have to do a fresh install, make sure you back up your important files first.

Also make sure you have a retail copy of your OS disk on hand with the origional product key, or, you could consider running one of the free Windows 7 beta distributions for a little while to tide you over. Looks like the beta program for build 7000 is good through Aug.

Other than not being able to run Punkbuster, or AMD Overdrive, I have been pretty pleased running the Windows 7 beta as my main OS on a dual boot system, your milage could vary though.
    edited March 2009
    I have the original disk (somewhere), so I'll stick to basics. Thanks much for all the advice.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2009
    I thought AMD and intel were both dropping support for DDR 3 later in the year as neither showed any real improvement over ddr2. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Oh god oh god oh god

BACK UP YOUR BOOKMARKS

Last time I changed out my motherboard/reformatted was something approaching two years ago - changed everything out to support x64 stuff. I STILL haven't found that incredible chicken casserole recipe I used to have.

Back up your bookmarks, man!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Komete wrote:
    I thought AMD and intel were both dropping support for DDR 3 later in the year as neither showed any real improvement over ddr2. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody.

Nobody is dropping DDR3 support. It will increase throughout 2009, hit mainstream in 2010, and be around well into 2013, which is when DDR4 should start being marketized.