Powers up for 5 seconds and restarts

edited March 2009 in Hardware
Here is the problem, I turned my computer on and then it starts up (fans start) then after about 3-5 seconds it simply restarts and just keeps looping this system.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    In my experience, this has always turned out to be either bad RAM or a failing power supply.

If you're familiar with PC hardware and have no worries working with your innards, open up your case and check that your RAM is seated properly and all your connections are good. If you have more than one stick of RAM, test them independently. If you've got some extra working RAM lying around, put it in and see if that fixes your problem. Same with the power supply--if you've got another, give it a shot.

If this doesn't diagnose or fix your problem, you could have a problem in your boot sector. If that's the case, let us know all your system specifications, your operating system, any recently installed hardware or software, and anything you might have done out of the ordinary before your problem occurred.

Best of luck!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    UPSKingpin wrote:
    In my experience, this has always turned out to be either bad RAM or a failing power supply.

If you're familiar with PC hardware and have no worries working with your innards, open up your case and check that your RAM is seated properly and all your connections are good. If you have more than one stick of RAM, test them independently. If you've got some extra working RAM lying around, put it in and see if that fixes your problem. Same with the power supply--if you've got another, give it a shot.

If this doesn't diagnose or fix your problem, you could have a problem in your boot sector. If that's the case, let us know all your system specifications, your operating system, any recently installed hardware or software, and anything you might have done out of the ordinary before your problem occurred.

Best of luck!

All good suggestions,

Another possibility is that the motherboard is not posting due to a dead CMOS battery.

I have seen it happen on someboards where the power will come up, board fails to post to bios, then it starts again, and again, until you pull the plug.

If all else fails, check that CMOS button cell battery, its normaly a stock hardware store item for just a few bucks, replace it, and see if you can post then.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Along the same vein, try to clear your CMOS in case a bad setting has caused it to loop. Again, if you're comfortable internally, there should be a jumper on the board labeled CMOS or CLRTC that you can short (connect the required pins) to reset the BIOS to default.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Along the same vein, try to clear your CMOS in case a bad setting has caused it to loop.
    Yes, that is clearly the first troubleshooting step. Some motherboards (hello Abit IP35-E!) will cause the start-restart loop after merely disconnecting and reconnecting cables to the board. BIOS reset, zoom, off to the races.

dotcom, do you know how to reset the BIOS?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Yes, that is clearly the first troubleshooting step. Some motherboards (hello Abit IP35-E!) will cause the start-restart loop after merely disconnecting and reconnecting cables to the board. BIOS reset, zoom, off to the races.

dotcom, do you know how to reset the BIOS?

Depending upon the mainboard, you might have a reset cmos button (I do on my MSI board, its handy for overclocking mishaps), Or as you stated just adjust the jumper settings, or remove the battery, wait a minute and put it back in, of course, if the battery is dead you will have to replace it.

Keep in mind, disconnect the power supply, once disconected, to be sure, hit that case power button to be sure you drain that little bit of leftover current prior to messing with the CMOS.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    The newer DFI boards have an extra CMOS reset button on the backplane just below the PS-2 connections.

Another possibility is that the CPU fan may not be spinning up for a number of reasons. One would lead back the the dying power supply and another would be a dead fan.