My sister needs a laptop

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Recommendations? It's been years since I've shopped for a capable laptop. My only recent experience has been with netbooks, and I don't think netbooks are capable enough as a full desktop replacement (can't watch HD video, for example).

This is going to replace the family PC. I was looking at HP and Lenovo, but I really have no brand loyalty. My sister's requirements are pretty basic: she needs it to be capable enough to last for the rest of her college career, she wants to be able to play the Sims 3, it needs to be as light and portable as possible, and it needs to be under $900 (preferably closer to $700)

I found an HP dv3t that seems to fit the bill, but it's dangerously close to the $900 mark after I put a decent 2 year warranty, a core 2 duo, and 3gb of ram on it, and our dad will bitch and moan about helping her out with the cost. I'm wondering if you guys have experience with similarly configured laptops that may be less expensive.

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    For a desktop replacement notebook (assuming she cares more about screen real estate than battery life), I find this line to be fairly good. Sorry, I can't link a U.S. page, dell is auto-redirecting me to the canadian site (probably ISP detection). Figure that the price shown on that page is in canadian dollars and it should be in the ballpark range.

The studio line also has 14 and 15 inch screen size companions which start at a similar price point.

I have a Studio 17 myself, and am fairly pleased with it. I wouldn't recommend it as a gaming notebook, but the performance out of the HD3650 is decent enough to run most games playably.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I don't think screen real estate is a priority. Based on my discussion with her tonight, battery life > screen real estate.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    It seems like there are conflicting desires at play. It's going to replace the family PC (DTR), but it needs good battery life (portable)? what.
    edited July 2009
    But you don't understand the needs of the "family PC"

That means my dad can check his gmail and forward political emails to me, that's it.

What I mean to say is: Do not think of this as a DTR. This is not an enthusiast family.
    edited July 2009
    Eh, I hear "family computer", and I'm automatically thinking screen size > battery life.

The opposite being the case, maybe check out some of the lower-end lenovos? You won't find much in terms of graphics power, but they've generally got good CPU crunch, and the battery life is definitely above average.

edited for context. I should proofread before I click post.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Lenovo is certainly the most reliable brand, but you won't find much GPU prowess there. Dell or HP, I guess.
  • QCHQCH
    puts on work hat...

OK, lets start with the basics here. We have the priorities and then the wish list.
    • Battery life
    • Screen size
    • Graphic requirements
    • Weight
    • Price
    • Memory
    • Warranty
    So far you've given us a max cost so...
    Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    puts on work hat...

OK, lets start with the basics here. We have the priorities and then the wish list.
    • Battery life
    • Screen size
    • Graphic requirements
    • Weight
    • Price
    • Memory
    • Warranty
    So far you've given us a max cost so that helps. You've given us a preferred battery life over screen size. Memory at 3 GB and 2 yr warranty. Weight needs to be somewhat portable and nothing about high-end graphics.

I give you this Dell Inspiron 13 - $859 (Link to cart)
    • Intel® Coreâ„¢ 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    • 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 (2 Dimms)
    • Glossy, widescreen 13.3" LCD (1280x800) w/o Camera
    • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    • 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    • 8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive)
    • Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini-Card
    • 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
    • Classic Protection: 2yr Ltd Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
    • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
    This should give at least 5 hours of general use, maybe close to 6 if screen brightness is turned down.
    edited July 2009
    Please note:

The ability to play Sims 3 is a major factor. Perhaps I didn't stress that enough.

The Dell you listed has a 3-series GPU which is the minimum for Sims 3, whereas the HP I linked has a 4-series, which exceeds the requirements and will probably run it a bit smoother.

Everything else looks good though
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Will do. I glanced at the min reqs for Sim3 not recommended. I'll fix ya up. And I haven't even tapped into my "Dell Deals" department yet. ;)
    edited July 2009
    Dell Studio 15 (the entry level one) customized with a 2 year warranty and a mobility HD4570 comes to $950 canadian. That should be just under the max mark in USD, although taxes will drive it back over.

Edit - I believe this unit comes with only a 6-cell battery, though. Battery life is probably limited to 4 hours tops with dimmed screen.
    edited July 2009
    Studio 15 Notebook (Cart Link) - $899
    • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
    • Intel® Coreâ„¢ 2 Duo T6500 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    • Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
    • Back-lit Keyboard
    • 15.6” Full High Definition (1080p) High Brightness LED Display with TrueLifeâ„¢ and Camera
    • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    • 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    • 8X Slot Load Super Multi (DL DVD+/-R Drive + RAM support)
    • Intel® WiFi Link 5100 802.11agn Half Mini-Card
    • 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
    • Classic Protection: 2yr Ltd Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
    edited July 2009
    Double post. An HP Pavillion DV6Z may be something to look into as well. It has an option to go with a 12-cell battery (should be decent life even on a 16" screen) and the graphics card can be upgraded if you don't think the mobility 3200 has enough pep. If you upgrade the graphics, battery, and warranty though, it breaks the $900 line.

Edit - sorry for not providing extremely detailed info, I'm posting using the steam web overlay in the middle of an L4D game. lol
    edited July 2009
    I appreciate the feedback, guys. I'm not looking for maximum power in the $900 budget mark, I can use the configurators to find something that fits.

What I'm looking for is any deals or similarly configured machines that will do what she needs it to do for less than $900
    me wrote:
    our dad will bitch and moan about helping her out with the cost. I'm wondering if you guys have experience with similarly configured laptops that may be less expensive.
    edited July 2009
    Ah... OK, that puts a different angle on things. :)

Let me sleep on it.
    edited July 2009
    Hmm.

It's unfortunately very difficult to find a notebook that satisfies all 3 of the long battery life, decent graphics performance, and 2-year warranty conditions without breaking or coming very close to $900. Imo one of them is going to have to be worked around.

Given that it's going to be a family computer, my guess is the easiest one out of the 3 to deal with would be shorter battery life.

Edit - battery is also a part that can be upgraded later (from official channels or off ebay). Internal graphics and manufacturer warranty generally aren't.
    edited July 2009
    I agree that battery life is the least important of the three factors.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    edited July 2009
    Good find... that looks like a great buy for the money.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Prime, don't forget Craigslist. I took a quick look at Detroit's CL computer page. You should be able to find the specs that would work for your sister on a slightly used machine for considerably less money than you'd have to pay for a new computer. I've purchased two laptops in the last year off of Craigslist sellers, both machines only a few months old but hundreds less than the local retail prices. They both were still under factory warranty as well.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Prime, I second the MSI suggestion from Magic. I have an EX630 which is basically the same laptop but with a Turion X2 instead of a Core2 Duo and I LOVE it. The battery life isn't great but it's pretty light, it's plenty powerful (for my needs anyway) and it feels quite solid and well-built. There's a few other MSI laptops on NewEgg as well that you might want to look at as they are slightly different and you may find one that's slightly more suitable.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I agree MSI is really nice because we just got ours about a month ago.
    We are extremely pleased with this MSI laptop.
    It's actually faster than all our desktop pc's after streamlining the programs and putting our AV on it.
    That's a little over your price range but this one is right in the range and has dedicated GPU which is better.
    It's actually $699.00 after MIR.
    And it should pretty much do all she wants or needs it to do.
    Also, It has a 3yr warr and comes with Gaming Backpack.
    edited July 2009
    Cool. Thanks for the info, guys! I'll let you know what she decides after she talks to my dad :)
    edited July 2009
    Prime... the MSI that Magic linked looks good. I tried a Compaq, HP, more Dell's, and Lenovo and none are as cheap with what the MSI has included. Also, 2 year warranty for most of these PC Manufacturers are charging $100 + for TWO YEARS. The MSI is 3 years....

So for at more than $150 less than any other of my searches, the MSI is the way to go IMHO. :thumbsup:

All she would need is a bag and maybe a bigger battery.
    edited July 2009
    QCH wrote:
    All she would need is a bag and maybe a bigger battery.

While the bag wouldn't be a problem... I haven't been able to find a larger battery for my MSI laptop so far. Then again I haven't looked that hard. The battery life really is the only complaint I have about my MSI EX630. I only get about 2 hours. Of course I am using Linux which is somewhat notorious for being a bit tough on battery life.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    God I wish they'd fix ACPI.
    edited July 2009
    This doesn't bode well; my MSI Wind's primary cooling fan took a shit today and it's still under warranty.

Normal RMA procedures are easy enough for me to follow, but MSI'S WEBSITE APPEARS TO BE DOWN and I simply can't find a way to RMA the netbook.

Grr.
    edited July 2009
    Vista's tough on battery life too, until you disable Superfetch, background defragmenting, and most of the indexing functionality. Then it becomes half decent.
    edited July 2009
    edited July 2009
    That's for everything BUT netbooks and laptops.
    edited July 2009
    Sorry bout that prime, heres the right link: http://www.msimobile.com/productreg/productlogin.aspx

You need to login with the email/pass you registered your product with. You can request an RMA from there.