Coming Winter '09: Icrontic v12

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Community
My multi-year thesis is nearing completion.

This winter, we will be transitioning the forum's platform from vBulletin to Vanilla, and the front page will be moving from Wordpress to Wordpress MU (Multi-User).

More importantly, the site's design will be updated. I'm currently toiling away at what this revision will be, and I can assure you that it will take the style and vibe of the current site and polish it to a shine. Our home page will finally represent the pulse of the entire site, and the forum will be easier to navigate and dive into.

Vanilla forum software represents a fresh way to approach community building and is built on a solid platform that will grease the wheels of future development on the site. I will no longer be developing the site on Jelsoft's terms; they will be Icrontic's terms. :cool2:

Over the coming weeks I will be releasing more information as it's ready. In the meantime, the Icrontic staff is helping me to guide its development to make sure it meets everyone's needs.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    you seriously need a better avatar

BRING BACK THE GENERAL!

(also carry on)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    ^5

This is going to be the ownage.

I have seen the future of Icrontic, and it is good.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Looking forward to it! Just imagine what our developer could do if he didn't have to spend his time patching up vBulletin. :)
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    You mean constantly redesigning the website.

HARRRR
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Huzzah for cutting loose the dead weight that is vBulletin! Now if only some of our customers would follow your lead, my job would get a lot easier
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    NiGHTS wrote:
    You mean constantly redesigning the website.
    The site and I are simply in a feedback loop of awesome. I get better at design, so I redesign Icrontic, which makes me a better designer. :D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Accelerating to Winter 09 now? Are we going to Vanilla 1.5, or did you just get antsy while redoing the design? :p
    edited September 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Accelerating to Winter 09 now?
    I don't think I've ever mentioned a timeline besides 'by 2010.' They estimate Vanilla 2 will be gold mid-Fall.
    edited November 2009
    Phase 1 is the Wordpress -> Wordpress MU migration and redesigning the front page to incorporate all 3 sections (Tech, Gaming, and Life).

The site will be down today for 1-2 hours to put this phase live. I'm not announcing a specific time because it'll be whenever Brian and I are awake, caffeinated, and ready. :p
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    it'll be whenever Brian and I are awake, caffeinated, and ready. :p

In other words, tomorrow.
  • LincLinc
    points at timestamp
    Today.
    Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    points at timestamp
    Today.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    * Lincoln points at timestamp
    Today.

U Rock.
    edited November 2009
    We lived!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    High five, Matt. :)
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited November 2009
    woot! :respect:
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    AWESOME!
    edited November 2009
    Apologies for the funky forum styles tonight. I have most of it sorted out now.
    edited November 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    Apologies for the funky forum styles tonight. I have most of it sorted out now.

It does look much better. Downright sexy, even. :thumbsup:
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Needs moar zombies.
    edited November 2009
    Oh man do the articles look good with the new layout.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited November 2009
    New Home page is nice but I'm not liking the new tech page much.. I really liked the pictures displayed for each tech article but now its a wall of text and stats.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Pictures will be displayed for every update on every channel. Patience, please.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    RenovationsInProgress.jpg
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Hat's off. Oh, well, gotta wear a hard hat.

Good work, Lincoln.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited November 2009
    I'm lovin the changes. You guys are taking Icrontic to whole new level. I've been a member on Icrontic for around 10 years or so. This current layout is the most impressive I've seen yet. Keep it up. Can't wait to see what you guys have in store.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Personally, this is the best layout I have seen for IC/SM since the old days; easy to read, more information presented in a clear and concise format, sexy.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Nice layout, allthough it proved to me that i'm an idiot. I spent about a minute looking around trying to find the "Forums" button. :(
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Community = forum

Not necessarily easy to understand but it will catch on by 2015. :D
    edited August 2010
    The Vanilla migration is finally nearing critical mass.
    • Vanilla 2.0 went gold a couple weeks ago
    • The vBulletin importer is complete and very solid
    • I have a working import of Icrontic running on the dev server
    • I'm about halfway thru rewriting my Wordpress/forum integration plugin to work with Vanilla (I started this morning)

Most importantly, I spent the month of July building some very intense Vanilla-based apps at work, so I can churn out plugins and apps fairly rapidly now. Just this afternoon I was able to plan out all the bits we need to move: an Achievements app, a WordPress user sync plugin, and a category/tagging plugin (I'm going to hybrid how categories and tags work - it'll be sweet, I promise).

More updates and info as we get closer. Could be a couple weeks or a couple months yet; time will tell.