Buying a Mac for School...

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    wow that's a first, I Love the Snow leopard on my macbook I wish that my pc could run a OS like that Id ditch microsoft completely
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    jared wrote:
    They did about 6 months back (that I am aware of) but I haven't seen any on there for a while now.

Def browse over to the refurb section of the apple store.

they Did have them at one point BUT I don't see a reason of buying any apple products anywhere but from apple since there prices are the same across the board, I believe they just didn't sell much apple stuff there
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    checkmate wrote:
    I will. I'm thinking of just getting a PC. I don't like MacOSX.

Why? Also, if you're entering the field of graphic design it will be expected of you to know the OS. You should at least have a relatively thorough knowledge of it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I disagree with it, having been in the graphic design industry for quite a number of years in various jobs. You do not at all "need" a mac for graphic design. Even in the printing industry (a long time hardcore Mac holdout), huge printers and graphic design shops are moving to PC because of the massive cost savings. In my last stint in the industry, just a year ago, many shops were moving entirely over to PC, and even so; they are 100% interoperable.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited September 2009
    Annes wrote:
    Why? Also, if you're entering the field of graphic design it will be expected of you to know the OS. You should at least have a relatively thorough knowledge of it.

Finder is irritating, the UI is horrible, the window options are flustering, the trash can is retarded, the doc makes me want to vomit. Should I continue? I can tell you how I feel about installing programs next.
    edited September 2009
    checkmate wrote:
    Finder is irritating, the UI is horrible, the window options are flustering, the trash can is retarded, the doc makes me want to vomit. Should I continue? I can tell you how I feel about installing programs next.

I think I just answered myself. I'm getting a PC. Options? I know there is that Pavilion, does anyone have any other suggestions?
  • edited September 2009
    checkmate wrote:

Good, finally you could decide then. Will you save your feelings for yourself now? :rolleyes:
    edited September 2009
    mirage wrote:
    Good, finally you could decide then. Will you save your feelings for yourself now? :rolleyes:

Yes, I will. Anywho, doing some comparative pricing. Seeing HP is cheap for what they give you, but Dell is a bit cheaper. I will probably not buy the Dell, though. I need some opinions on what PC to get. HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.? Who has the best service plans? Who has the cheapest?

Also, how exactly does the Windows 7 upgrade work? Do they send you the firmware and you install it, or do you have to send your machine into them?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Will you save your feelings for yourself now?
    Why? He's not attacking anyone, he's only lambasting an inanimate object. It's just a thing.
  • edited September 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Why? He's not attacking anyone, he's only lambasting an inanimate object. It's just a thing.

You gave the answer yourself. It is just a "thing" for such a strong expression of disgust. Besides asking help and calling the "thing" some of the people recommended "disgusting" is not nice (if not disrespectful); they (not me) only tried to help. I am not defending Mac at all, my comment was for the people who tried to help.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Stop being butthurt. Someone asked him why he didn't like the OS, and he explained why. You're reading far too much into what he said.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Yep, at any rate:

You'll get a million different opinions. I have personal experience with Dell, HP, Lenovo, and MSI, and of those, I prefer HP and Lenovo.

The Windows 7 upgrade works like this: You fill out a form and when Win 7 is out, they'll send you an upgrade disk in the mail.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Alternatively, if you can wait 32 more days, you can just buy a laptop with Windows 7 already installed. :)

I highly recommend Lenovo.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Lenovo.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Alternatively, if you can wait 32 more days, you can just buy a laptop with Windows 7 already installed. :)

I highly recommend Lenovo.
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Lenovo.

Ditto. I beat the crap out of my ThinkPads....I can't believe the way they just bounce.

And if you go Lenovo and have listened to all those who talk refurbs, check out the Lenovo scratch and dent site. You can get redistributed (new ThinkPads returned to Lenovo) at a substantial savings. Oh, and you can still get XP there if you have to buy before Oct 22.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    My firm exclusively uses Lenovo laptops. Out of 32 Lenovo Laptops, 0 have failed. Meaning, no warranty work on any of them.

The mix was of older IBM T60's, Lenovo T60's, T61's, Xseries tablets, and a couple huge ThinkPad W700ds's. 1st class products.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Levono and Dells are the only ones I every recommend to my friend.

I have heard good things about MSI and Acer (see Newegg), but don't have any personal experience.

I personally think HP and Toshiba notebooks are terrible. Many family and friends have them (and I had an HP for a very short stint) and they feel exceptionally cheap/plastic-y. But I suppose that comes down to a matter of preference as well.
    edited September 2009
    Yep, at any rate:

You'll get a million different opinions. I have personal experience with Dell, HP, Lenovo, and MSI, and of those, I prefer HP and Lenovo.

The Windows 7 upgrade works like this: You fill out a form and when Win 7 is out, they'll send you an upgrade disk in the mail.

Why have I never seen or heard of Lenovo before?
    edited September 2009
    Because they used to be known better as IBM?

If you've heard of ThinkPads, you've heard of Lenovo.
    edited September 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Because they used to be known better as IBM?

If you've heard of ThinkPads, you've heard of Lenovo.

Oh, okay. I'm looking at the new ones and the W-Series seems like God himself designed it.

How does something like this look?
    10628_152305313124_599758124_3528583_3188030_n.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I'd grab more RAM if you have an option for it, but 4GB may be the max. You may also want to up the warranty to the incidental damage one - no-questions-asked replacement of ANYTHING for the entire life of the warranty. It's the best warranty I've ever had.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I absolutely second everyone recommending Lenovo. I also second the suggestion of upping the warranty to the incidental (aka accidental at some companies) damage one. Also, if you're going to spend that kind of money, extend the warranty to at least 3 years. My last laptop was a Lenovo 3000 C100 which I absolutely loved. Lasted me the last 2 years at college and through the 1st year of my career. It's now on the employee server rack at work happily serving bits up to the Internet (yes, I'm using a laptop as a webserver... DON'T JUDGE ME). If it wasn't for the fact that I got a crazy good price on the MSI that I bought, I would definately have purchased another Lenovo to replace my old one. I'll probably go back to the ThinkPad line when I replace this laptop as I should be making more money by that point.
    edited September 2009
    My teacher just told me that the display difference between Mac and PC will be different for color. He says Mac will show the true Pantone color and the PC will be at least 20% off. Is that true?

Also, I will look at the warranties.
    edited September 2009
    No.

You'll want A) a color calibrator for either, and B) a new teacher.
    edited September 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    No.

You'll want A) a color calibrator for either, and B) a new teacher.

Well, why would he say something like that?
    edited September 2009
    Why did he tell you that crazy CMYK jazz?

Who knows. Fanboy? Misinformed? Genuinely mistaken?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Well there is a difference to some degree with colors between mac's and pc's depending on the monitors, this can be true on mac's as well depending on if you have the mat or glossy screen. However I've found that Mac's are far more consistent between each other then pc's when it comes to presenting colours.

Mac's do tend to have better displays then pc's, but that's more a case of comparing a mac display, which are rather high end displays to bargain bin PC's which cheap out on the displays.

Also a pc through vga vs hdmi connections are very different too. Even changing between video cards from one to another can net different results.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    With the release of Snow Leopard, now even the gamma is set to 2.2 out of the box (the same as PCs)

The first thing I always did on my Mac upon a fresh install was calibrate the LCD and switch the gamma to 2.2.

Now that it's done that out of the box, the default display profile should be (more or less) the same as a PC.

So yes, your professor is striking out here and giving a bad name to a) Mac fanboys b) professors in general

:D
    edited September 2009
    jared wrote:
    With the release of Snow Leopard, now even the gamma is set to 2.2 out of the box (the same as PCs)

The first thing I always did on my Mac upon a fresh install was calibrate the LCD and switch the gamma to 2.2.

Now that it's done that out of the box, the default display profile should be (more or less) the same as a PC.

So yes, your professor is striking out here and giving a bad name to a) Mac fanboys b) professors in general

Thank you for explaining this.
    edited December 2009
    jared wrote:

Do you have any proof of this?