Buying a Mac for School...

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Is direct from Apple good enough?
    Apple wrote:
    To better serve the needs of consumers and digital content producers, Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard uses a gamma value of 2.2 by default. In versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.6, the default system gamma value was 1.8.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited December 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Is direct from Apple good enough?

Thank you.
    edited December 2009
    They still believe that there is a color difference. He has, however, said, "I never said PC's were a bad machine. They just weren't meant for graphics. They weren't ever meant for the graphics world."
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Well first off he is full of shit.

Secondly, regardless of what they were originally "meant" for, today there is absolutely no difference in color or hardware.

A PC is different from a Mac because of the OS and that's it.

//edit: and I will add this is coming from a full time mac user.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    There is absolutely no difference. PCs and Macs use identical hardware, gamuts and gamma profiles.
    edited December 2009
    Your instructor is absurd and/or painfully ignorant.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    More likely: He's defending himself like any cult member. When faced with blistering logic and facts, he's still defensive because he's invested so much time, money, and emotion into the Cult of Jobs that he is being reticent and contrary.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    He's gotta root for his home team!
    edited December 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Your instructor is absurd

That was my way of being nice.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    You'll want A) a color calibrator for either, and B) a new teacher.
    There are low-cost calibrators that can even slap an el-cheapo TNT panel into a decent performer. A week ago I purchased a Pantone Huey Pro from Amazon for $69. I've used it five different monitors now, ranging from a skanky Xerox 19" to an HP 24" IPS panel. Very good to excellent results on all of them.
    edited December 2009
    I had a guy in my class look at me and defend Mr. Sauriol's statement that the color was off when he tried to print something from either computer. At Macomb, there are mostly Macs, but there are Dells in some of the other rooms.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    checkmate wrote:
    I had a guy in my class look at me and defend Mr. Sauriol's statement that the color was off when he tried to print something from either computer. At Macomb, there are mostly Macs, but there are Dells in some of the other rooms.

Birthers
    Truthers
    Mac Fanboys

You can argue 'till you're blue in the face with unassailable data, and they will simply cover their ears and start yelling "NA NANANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!"
  • edited December 2009
    Birthers
    Truthers
    Mac Fanboys

You can argue 'till you're blue in the face with unassailable data, and they will simply cover their ears and start yelling "NA NANANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!"

You are funny! ;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    checkmate wrote:

Printer drivers are different. Printing engines are different. It is perfectly possible to calibrate the printer to the screen, but it requires effort and usually special equipment (like a Huey or something).

I ran a print shop full of macs and PCs for two years as the digital prepress manager. Trust me, they're the same when it comes to printing.
    edited December 2009
    Printer drivers are different. Printing engines are different. It is perfectly possible to calibrate the printer to the screen, but it requires effort and usually special equipment (like a Huey or something).

I ran a print shop full of macs and PCs for two years as the digital prepress manager. Trust me, they're the same when it comes to printing.

I will always trust you.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I will always trust you.

Soft music is playing in the background. A candle is lighted.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    Like Prime said Print drivers are different, but printing is the same. To get accurate results you need to calibrate your monitor and your printer. Check out the Xrite Color Munki, it'll calibrate your monitor, Printer, and projector.

The OS is not the importation to good color, Color management is. color management means you need Top end Hardware and Calibration tools, as well as a color managed work flow.

Industry standard for graphics is now Gamma 2.2 so no surprise MAC's are playing catch up. Since the release of CS4 PC's have had the edge over MACs with 64bit OS and 64bit CS4 programs, since the OS and programs can access more ram. Now that snow leopard was just released, MAC has it's first true 64bit OS and Adobe will let MAC catch up with MAC OS 64bit CS5 come this March or October. (I expect March)

MACpro's are the same as workstation grade PC's with a different OS; all other MACs are the same as consumer PC's. (thanks to Apple moving to intel chips and motherboards it's easy to see what a MAC is.... the G5 and earlier they were built like workstations just with proprietary hardware)

I've worked as a professional freelance photographer for over 6 years, Working with MACs and PC's. A good system is a Good system MAC or PC it really comes down to preference and cost (you can get a little more with a PC since you don't pay the apple tax).

Another note, Top color control is currently only on PCs ATI FirePro workstation cards do 30bit color, when combined with certain monitors. that's something you can't get on a MAC
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    photodude wrote:
    that's something you can't get on a MAC

Until ATI releases an Apple-compatible part, anyway.

/me shrugs
    edited December 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    Until ATI releases an Apple-compatible part, anyway.

If ATI releases an apple compatible part, There has been no workstation cards for apple from ATI in recent history (Firepro line) Currently the Nivdia4800 MAC edition is the only workstation Card in the market for apple. That Doesn't speak well for Apple and workstation graphics.

Additionally there are no mobile workstation discrete cards for Apple.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2009
    It's too bad. Macs are a good machine. But at some level they're all just a box full of 1's and 0's.

It's Mac owners and their evangelical zeal that just drive me up a tree.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    photodude wrote:
    If ATI releases an apple compatible part, There has been no workstation cards for apple from ATI in recent history (Firepro line) Currently the Nivdia4800 MAC edition is the only workstation Card in the market for apple. That Doesn't speak well for Apple and workstation graphics.

Additionally there are no mobile workstation discrete cards for Apple.

Wow, that's terribad. One of the biggest selling points of Mac (that Apple is even still trying to push to my knowledge) is that they're better for Studio development. With such a limited hardware selection, it's a pretty thin claim.
    edited December 2009
    lordbean wrote:
    With such a limited hardware selection, it's a pretty thin claim.

Apple has some additional optimization from what I've heard. Snow leopard now natively runs OpenCL (I think that is on all apple supported Graphics hardware) Which is a small step up from standard Graphics hardware on most PC's.

But when you compare apples to apples;There is not much of a difference. But in the end, the highest level graphics hardware is only on PCs.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Wow. I just looked at the driver list for ATI cards on OSX. Depressing. It's pathetic that the best ATI card you can get his a HD 4870.
    edited December 2009
    How do you think they maintain a sparkly image? You can't have new toys right out of the box, that would be a customer relations nightmare when you suddenly get a random kernel panic!
    edited December 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    How do you think they maintain a sparkly image? You can't have new toys right out of the box, that would be a customer relations nightmare when you suddenly get a random kernel panic!

It's more then not having the new toys right out of the box. You can't get the toys on MAC!!! There are about 6 or 7 total Video cards supported on MAC only one Workstation Card. That's like 99.1% of the toys you can't get.

What you can get on MAC with Nvidia is ok.... QuadroFX4800 is almost the top of workstation cards. The next step down is the GeForce GTX 285 for mac pro or GeForce 9600M GT for Macbook pro

Best on an iMac is the GeForce GT 130

Most of the Video card options are from Nvidia for MAC (one would think Apple and ATI might have had a falling out based on what is supported on mac by ATI)
    edited December 2009
    Small correction.....Turns out Some Nvidia QuadroFX cards do support 30-bit color. Mac's can get 30-bit color but only with the QuadroFX 4800MAC card.

That means no 30bit color for MAC laptops

Macpro laptops can get The GeForce 9600M GT which claims 32-bit color, but that is a misnomer as 32bit color is only 24bit color with 8-bits of non-color data.
    edited December 2009
    Facebook comments, lolz: http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=599758124&share_id=355479140523&comments=1#s355479140523
    The non-Mac guy that's not me is my brother. The other is a friend of mine.
    edited December 2009
    Correction I assumed the mac edition of the quadroFX4800 was the same as the PC version but it's not so MACs can not get true 30bit color even with the QuadroFX4800MAC, Turns out the MAC edition does not have any displayport connections nor does it support true 30bit color. unlike the PC version.

Guess PCs win again on the 30bit color (of course 30bit color is expensive at least $2700 with a card and monitor to do 30bit)

of course your original question was about laptops, and no laptops do 30bit color yet. but you can get a QuadroFX card on a pc Laptop that would have some advantages for Adobe products and video encoding.

Checkmate, your link to your facebook discussion doesn't work for me so I can't read anything posted there. Check your link and repost please.
    edited December 2009
    It's probably that new privacy policy thing.
    edited December 2009
    That new privacy policy thing makes everything more open by default.