Core i7 cooling. Dark Knight just not cutting it?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The cheap water cooling kits are no better than good air cooling. That doesn't change until you start spending $200 or $300.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    The cheap water cooling kits are no better than good air cooling. That doesn't change until you start spending $200 or $300.

Ok, I had a feeling those cheap ones weren't gonna be as good as they make them look.

What if I saved up and got this

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swh2edukit.html
    $229 bucks.

Do you think this would cool better than the megahalem?

I don't know too much about water cooling. I have never done it. But I was always interested.
    edited September 2009
    I would say that it is best to stick with a high quality air cooler. It's 1/4 the price, and it'll accomplish what you're looking for.

Thermolab BARAM, Cogage TRUE Spirit, Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright TRUE-120... All of 'em will give you great performance.
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I would say that it is best to stick with a high quality air cooler. It's 1/4 the price, and it'll accomplish what you're looking for.

Thermolab BARAM, Cogage TRUE Spirit, Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright TRUE-120... All of 'em will give you great performance.

Alright,
    I guess it would save me quite a bit of money
    Well sounds like megahalem for me then.

Anyone recommend a couple good (not to expensive) fans for a push/pull setup?
    Might even use the 120mm fan from my dark knight and then just add one more fan.
  • edited September 2009
    Alright,
    I guess it would save me quite a bit of money
    Well sounds like megahalem for me then.

Anyone recommend a couple good (not to expensive) fans for a push/pull setup?
    Might even use the 120mm fan from my dark knight and then just add one more fan.

I use Thermaltake A2018 and Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E. Both are good. But the most important thing is to use the same fans in push-pull configuration. Inlet and outlet air pressures should be the same for best performance. I think 1200 RPM would be sufficient. Let's see who else will chime in.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I used to use Scythes - great fans. I use Gelid Wings ever since we got to review them and I love them. Damn near silent and nice and cool.

And yes, push-pull is the only way to go.
    edited September 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    I used to use Scythes - great fans. I use Gelid Wings ever since we got to review them and I love them. Damn near silent and nice and cool.

And yes, push-pull is the only way to go.

O yea,
    I have to admit, these look awesome too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426017

They come with some rubber fan mounts.....I hope I can just use those to mount them onto the megahalem. Ive seen people use zip ties and stuff, I don't want that.

Thanks mirage, Ill make sure to pick up two identical new fans.
    edited September 2009
    I strongly recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999145&Tpk=a2029

You'll save 50%, and they're completely adjustable from whisper quiet to "dustbuster." I may never use another fan again.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    While on the topic of fans... does anyone know what happened to the Y.S. Tech TMD fans of yesteryear? I remember reading about them and how amazing they supposedly were then I never heard anything about them ever again.
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I strongly recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999145&Tpk=a2029

You'll save 50%, and they're completely adjustable from whisper quiet to "dustbuster." I may never use another fan again.

Wow 2650 RPM for 12 bucks. Thats pretty nice.

"whisper quiet to dustbuster"
    So it can be quiet, but at high speeds its really loud?
    edited September 2009
    Anybody know anything about this fan?
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=25752

2,000 RPM -
    69 CFM
    and only 19 dB-A (noise level)
    9$ with choice of colored sleeve.
    And looks good.

Sounds like a steal personally
  • edited September 2009
    I have been in the field for 14 years...when I get a kit for a cpu replacement we get a syringe with a certain amount of grey grease and 99% alcohol to clean old paste off. Instructions are to put whole syringe of grease in middle of cpu and then attach heat sync (no spreading)
    Also when my brother in law overclocks not only does he use cpu fan/heatsink he uses fans on both ends of the case, one in and one out. I think at least 4-6 inch fan. Try to position for best airflow over cpu. Just be mindful of number of devices on power supply if you do this.
    edited September 2009
    Wow 2650 RPM for 12 bucks. Thats pretty nice.

"whisper quiet to dustbuster"
    So it can be quiet, but at high speeds its really loud?

That's right, and it has a little knob you can use to control the RPMs.
  • edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:

I have not noticed this fan before. I will definitely try next time after A2018.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Thermolab BARAM, Cogage TRUE Spirit, Prolimatech Megahalems, Thermalright TRUE-120...
    I recently ordered a couple new coolers. Prior to that I had researched extensively. Most of the credible reporting I read maintained the same general rating as what is quoted above, with the exception of the TRUE Spirit and Baram. The ratings/comparisons on those two heatsinks varied considerably.
    edited September 2009
    Alright.
    Well, I just ordered my Megahalem. I just found out that they have a black version of the megahalem called the mega shadow. It looks nice, but it is like $20 more and I was not able to find any reviews stating if it performed the same as the silver one. So I just went with the silver "Megahalem"

I read that the megahalem has a pretty smooth base. Not perfect, but good enough. So hopefully when I get it, I will be able to install it with no lapping. We'll see.

Hopefully the megahalem, with the 2 new fans that I ordered for a push/pull will be able to get me to 3.8 - 4ghz. Cant wait to see.......... :rockon:
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited September 2009
    I think you'll succeed :) Expect high voltage (~1.32volt or more) to get to 4.0 rock stable tho from what i've seen with my own 920 D0 experimentation.
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited September 2009
    Alot of reviews have the Megahalem beating really good coolers with it being unlapped, so I wouldn't bother lapping.

If the Megahalem fixes your cpu temp problems, awesome:D If it doesn't I would seriously consider modding your case so you can get more air flowing through it.
    edited October 2009
    I just got my megahalems and this thing is a beast!
    It looks awesome, and performs way better thank the dark knight. I have not even messed with anything yet, all I did was up the cpu clock to 3.6ghz, and set the cpu voltage to 1.12 and this thing is idling at 35 degrees.......
    My dark knight would idle around 50 at 3.2ghz
    I am gonna mess with it more now

EDIT: 3.6 ghz full load (prime 95) 50 degrees. That is what the dark knight would idle at at 3.2ghz wow, im excited.... I feel like a little kid. :D
    edited October 2009
    4ghz, CPU v = 1.36v
    Prime95 full load - 74 degrees.
    Man what an improvement....

This is the new setup looks like.....
    img00057200909302349.th.jpg
    edited October 2009
    I assume you used the overclocked settings I gave GooD in his thread? Looks great, Truman! :D
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I assume you used the overclocked settings I gave GooD in his thread? Looks great, Truman! :D

I actually have not changed much yet. Just the Clock speed and the CPU voltage.

I am going to try what you told GooD though

" DRAM V - 1.65
    Uncore: 1.35
    CPU PLL: 1.88
    QPI link speed: 36x "

I am going to keep the cpu multi at 20 and see what happens with those settings.

I don't really know what to do with my RAM. I don't know much about my ram at all (it came with the computer). All I know is that its 9gb DDR3 running in tri-channel and this is what CPUz says about it:
    memorym.jpg

Any ideas on what settings to use for my ram?
    edited October 2009
    I hear you, Truman. I just installed two Megahalems. Wow, simply wow!
    edited October 2009
    Nice :) Grats !

You will achieve 3.8 stable without too much trouble at < 63C full load im pretty sure about it.
    edited October 2009
    GooD wrote:
    Nice :) Grats !

You will achieve 3.8 stable without too much trouble at < 63C full load im pretty sure about it.

I had it at 3.8 last night (did not want to leave it at 4 while I was sleeping)
    I ran prime95 test for 35min and everything was good. Full load, I was averaging 58C, barley hitting 60C.
    So I turned on my folding SMP client and went to sleep.
    When I woke up, I had the BSOD.

Everything seems to be fine, I have it on. I am just really wanting to know what caused that. It could not have been the temps, because I had it set to warn me if it hit 65C to sound an alarm real loud.
    edited October 2009
    Any number of voltages which you did not fine tune could have been the culprit.
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Any number of voltages which you did not fine tune could have been the culprit.

Alright, thank thrax
    I am going to try the voltages that you recommended to GooD
    edited October 2009
    I run actually with all the voltage from Thrax except at a lower VCORE.

Try to run a LinX test too on your final OC (with 20 runs and just a bit less mem than your computer has free), to what i've read its different than Prime 95 and many says its even better to show max temp / stability. :)
    edited October 2009
    Right now I got:
    3.8ghz
    CPU Ratio: 20
    CPU V: 1.136
    CPU PLL: 1.88
    DRAM V: 1.65
    HT: off (for folding)
    Turbo: off

It is running a little above 40C idle and 60C full load.
    I am running prim95 tests right now, then I am going to run some linX tests.

EDIT: Literally, right after I posted this....... I got BSOD. Hmmmm:scratch:
    edited October 2009
    EDIT: Literally, right after I posted this....... I got BSOD. Hmmmm
    Your computer thought you needed humbling.

:rolleyes:

:bigggrin: