Core i7 cooling. Dark Knight just not cutting it?

13»

Comments

• TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Your computer thought you needed humbling.

:rolleyes:

:bigggrin:

lol :D

Well, I can't seem to get it stable.
    I tried the voltages that thrax suggested in GooD's thread, and I tried lowering a few voltages. I also tried upping the CPU voltage to 1.14 at 3.8ghz

No matter what I do, 10-15 min of prime95 gives BSOD...... :scratch:
  • ardichokeardichoke
    sighs

This thread is making me want to go home and see how far I can push my 65W Athlon X2 5200+...
    Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    sighs

This thread is making me want to go home and see how far I can push my 65W Athlon X2 5200+...
    edited October 2009
    I seem to have more stability when I run with a lower DRAM voltage.
    With DRAM V at 1.65 and 3.8ghz..... I get BSOD in about 5 min of prime95.
    With DRAM V at 1.6 and 3.8ghz, I still get the BSOD running prime95, but it takes longer.

Now I got the DRAM V back at 1.33v and I have been running prime95 for quite some time, and so far so good.

3.8ghz
    CPU Ratio: 20
    CPU V: 1.136
    CPU PLL: 1.88
    DRAM V: 1.33
    HT: off (for folding)
    Turbo: off
    edited October 2009
    I ran a prime95 test for 40 minutes using the settings in the above post ^^^
    Prime reported 0 errors and 0 warnings.

I ran a linX test for about 2 minutes..... BSOD. :banghead::shakehead

I don't know what else to try....
    Should I try giving the CPU more Voltage than 1.136 ?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    LOLWTF? The default voltage is 1.2v for a Core i7. You're giving it less voltage than the CPU needs to operate at its default clockspeed, and you're trying to push 3.8 or 4GHz. What do you expect to happen?

Try 1.35v and see what happens.
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    LOLWTF? The default voltage is 1.2v for a Core i7. You're giving it less voltage than the CPU needs to operate at its default clockspeed, and you're trying to push 3.8 or 4GHz. What do you expect to happen?

Try 1.35v and see what happens.

Lol, oops.

Over in GooD's thread, one of his first posts said
    "After a lot of try&reboot i've come to achieve a rock stable overclock of 3.8Ghz with less than 1.15 volt"

But your right, with all the settings on default the voltage is higher than that. I should have realized. :D

I am gonna try 1.35v....
    edited October 2009
    Upped it to 1.35v
    Ran a linX test set to 20 times. Returned no errors.
    Seems pretty stable. Temps got a hot thought. Hit 85C at one point.
    Could be because of my case airflow.

EDIT:
    It must be how linX is. It seems to push my CPU further than prime95.
    Running Prime95, I am only hitting 73.
    And my room is burning up right now so....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    You can try backing the voltage down if LinX and Prime are functioning correctly. 85C is a little high.
    edited October 2009
    So far I got it down to 1.32v @ 3.8ghz.
    Stable. Max temps 79C with linX, and 68C in prime95.
  • edited October 2009
    How about the range from 1.15v to 1.32v. Reading your posts, CPU was stable at 3.8GHz and 1.15v. Is 1.32v the minimum stable voltage at 4GHz?

Please guys tell me that Q6600@3.3GHz is still fast. Good and Truman are killing me :)
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited October 2009
    @Mirage : its not that bad ;) lol

As a reminder of my thread : I can run my CPU at 1.225v with a 3.8Ghz overclock linX stable. (with 200Blck , HT ON, Turbo OFF).

With a 200 Blck i have not been able to go lower than that. My old overlock was 3.6 with turbo ON at 1.20v (1.12v on full load in windows) and was stable but with a 181 Blck :P

With 1.325v i can reach 4Ghz stable.

Maybe it will help you to tweak your VCore :p

My temps with 1.225v and 3.8 Overlock are 63C maximum on full load.
    With 1.325 and a 4Ghz OC its 79C maximum on full load.

The 200 Mhz from 3.8 to 4Ghz comes at a high cost lol
    edited October 2009
    GooD wrote:
    @Mirage : its not that bad ;) lol

As a reminder of my thread : I can run my CPU at 1.225v with a 3.8Ghz overclock linX stable. (with 200Blck , HT ON, Turbo OFF).

With a 200 Blck i have not been able to go lower than that. My old overlock was 3.6 with turbo ON at 1.20v (1.12v on full load in windows) and was stable but with a 181 Blck :P

With 1.325v i can reach 4Ghz stable.

Maybe it will help you to tweak your VCore :p

My temps with 1.225v and 3.8 Overlock are 63C maximum on full load.
    With 1.325 and a 4Ghz OC its 79C maximum on full load.

The 200 Mhz from 3.8 to 4Ghz comes at a high cost lol

Thanks GooD
    I got 3.8 with 1.225v. Stable
    Full load 62C with prime95. With linX it hits 68C
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited October 2009
    Nice Truman :) Grats on your new overlock and lowered temp :)

ATM i think i'll be 3.8Ghz too most of the time and i'll log on my 4Ghz setting when i REALLY want or need the 200Mhz boost :P
    edited October 2009
    :)
    GooD wrote:
    Nice Truman :) Grats on your new overlock and lowered temp :)

ATM i think i'll be 3.8Ghz too most of the time and i'll log on my 4Ghz setting when i REALLY want or need the 200Mhz boost :P

Yea I get 4ghz with 1.36v stable. Around 74C with prime95, but with linX it will hit like 84C.

So I will probably keep it at 3.8ghz for 24/7 use.... and like you said, use 4ghz whenever I feel like I might use it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Truman, this thread has been a lot of fun! Man, you are bringing the Icrontic legacy back! This harkens back to our swashbuckling, overcocking, and good humored beginnings almost 10 years ago.

I might ad, man, you've come a long way! It doesn't seem like that long ago when you joined the forums and about all you knew was how to spell "Dell." Look at you now!

Kudos to you!

:rockon:
    edited October 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Truman, this thread has been a lot of fun! Man, you are bringing the Icrontic legacy back! This harkens back to our swashbuckling, overcocking, and good humored beginnings almost 10 years ago.

I might ad, man, you've come a long way! It doesn't seem like that long ago when you joined the forums and about all you knew was how to spell "Dell." Look at you now!

Kudos to you!

:rockon:

I know :D
    I learned A LOT from these forums over the past few years.
    These forums actually changed my life.... I hardly liked computers at all. I originally came to "short-media" when I had a virus and did not know what to do ;D. From then on I got stuck on computers, and now I am going to school for computers :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Can I get a break down of your final numbers for voltages? I want to push 3.8Ghz but want to try with some good numbers you guys are using.