New i7 920 Rig : Great 24/7 OC, with RAM under clocked...

124»

Comments

• GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited October 2009
    You have D0 stepping so you should be AT least able to do 3.8Ghz with a good cooler.

You are with the stock cooler atm ? Can't help much until you got a good cooler.

I've play with my 920 A LOT so i'll give any help i can as soon as you have it.

In my case, getting a high cpu clock was achieve very easily, its getting my ram to 1600 that took a bit more time. (I tried to reach a high CPU clock BEFORE boosting the RAM, it seems like its easier when you do it the other way).

Your sig tells me that you run at a 1600 with your mem but the screenshot told me you do 1280 atm.

You seem to have the same RAM kit as mine (rated 7-7-7-20 ?), so we have the same psu brand, same cpu, same RAM, the only difference is the MB (its a big one since dependanding of the board one OC could be stable on one and dont even boot on the other one) but my case 'should' be close to the OC you could achieve.

As soon as you get ur cooler you could try the settings Thrax told sooner on this post, they are a very good start and then you can try to lower the voltage until the system is not stable if you want (like i did, but its time consuming).

1st step will be to find if ur ram can do 1600 with your cpu underclocked, then try to OC the cpu with Thrax voltage suggestion, see how it goes and watch temp (what cooler do you ordered ?) and then decide if you want to run at a lower voltage (long try/reboot process until you find the perfect cpu voltage for ur rig).

My cpu can do 4Ghz but it was running a bit hot (79C onload) so i'm using a 3.8Ghz OC atm for my 24/7 operations.