Top 5 great movies with slammin' soundtracks

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I am happy about having seen all the movies mentioned here.

I gotta say that the O' Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. If you haven't heard some bluegrass/folk music you gotta check it out.

Also A++ for Waking Life, very interesting movie.

Also welcome to Icrontic!
  • HubertGAMHubertGAM Detroit, MI Member
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Winfrey, I'm glad to be here!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    high 5 for Dazed and Confused. Double CD soundtrack of great 70's music.
    I would also throw in The Crow soundtrack.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Dazed and Confused along with O Brother Where Art Thou are both really good.

Another personal favorite is the Matrix (original) soundtrack.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    What a list! Great read.

Some filmmakers leverage symphony to set the mood, others prefer to just insert appropriate background music. I know its a pet peeve of Martin Scorsese's not to use much in the way of symphony, he feels that it does too much to lead the audience hampering the viewers ability to take their own emotional voyage. Others absolutely depend on it to shape the emotions of a scene, while some films are primarily about music themselves. Point being that film and music are kind of like chocolate and peanut butter.

So take a film like Hitchcock's Phycho which is obviously scored orchestrally to help add emotion in scenes that needed it at the time because a little chocolate syrup in a bathtub was considered gratuitous. Contrast it to the music Scorsese selects for films like Goodfellas or The Departed, and you can really hear a difference in the style and delivery, yet music is a critical component to those films. American Graffiti is another great film soundtrack entirely made up of appropriate tunes from that era. I remember seeing Lucas in an interview saying he preferred that approach, but just did not know how to apply it to Star Wars, then John Williams comes along.

Then you have soundtracks that are as much the films themselves, West Side Story is probably the best example of this.

Fantastic list, especially love the Trainspotting and Pump Up the Volume soundtracks.
  • edited November 2009
    Garden State is a tops in my book. It's where I first met Imogen Heap.

And if I could set my guy card down for just a moment, Moulin Rouge is fabulous. Same with The Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast soundtracks. OK, picking my guy card back up.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    The Blues Brothers, Tommy, The Harder they Come, and although they're more concert films than movies, The Last Waltz and Woodstock.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    The Fifth Element is one of the only two soundtracks I've ever purchased. Totally different. Wild stuff.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Garden State, The Wall, The Graduate, Forrest Gump, and... Half-Baked.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    The Fifth Element is one of the only two soundtracks I've ever purchased. Totally different. Wild stuff.

The blue opera singer's tune... I can't even remember how many times I rewind and replay that whole scene every time I watch that movie.

The Star Wars Ep 1 soundtrack was wonderful, even if the movie might not have been - Duel of the Fates was absolutely astounding. Gladiator (while often a ripoff of The Planets) is also in my top everything ever - fantastic music, and a top-5 movie to boot.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Gladiator (2 CD extended score), Kingdom of Heaven (4 CD extended score), Black Hawk Down and The Two Towers are amongst my favorite soundtracks. Songs like Rome Is the Light, City of Angels, Still (Reprise) and The Council of Elrond move me in ways "ordinary" music cannot, because they are inextricable from the drama of the narratives and scenes they supported.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    The Star Wars Ep 1 soundtrack

John Williams in general is an amazing composer. There's a reason why he's been nominated countless times and has won 5 Oscars.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Too true.
  • JasonJason H. R. Chufnstuf PDX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Sorry, but I am going to have to continue to say 'Garden State' and 'The Graduate' (two similar movies from different times) have the best overall soundtracks when actually watching the movie. Both just...fit. Also, Garden State has one of the best soundtracks you can listen to without ever having seen the movie.
  • HubertGAMHubertGAM Detroit, MI Member
    edited November 2009
    Jason wrote:
    Awesome suggestion, this is my idea of a long AVG. This would make my honorable mention list as I like the movie and the music, but I don't know if it up-seats any of the ones in my top 5. Out of all the picks so far, I slapped my forehead only on this one, since I forgot about it.

Another movie that I have never seen with a great soundtrack:

Soul in the Hole

Thanks everyone for sharing! You guys have quality taste, I must say. Many of your picks were in contention for me, like Garden State and The Harder They Come, which I own both.
  • CaffranCaffran Kansas City Member
    edited November 2009
    All of Darren Aronofsky's movies have good sound tracks(Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain).
    edited November 2009
    After giving this some thought I have my 5:

O' Brother Where Art Thou?: I love the soundtrack and have seen the movie enough to have most of it memorized

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: It's a musical, I know, but the music is great besides.

Toy Story: Randy Newman's music is great for this flick and on a relaxing day at home.

Juno: I really like the soundtrack, just fun to listen to.

Remember the Titans: I may catch some flak for this one, but Remember the Titans has just the right mix of R&B and Cat Stevens to make it all work.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Winfrey wrote:
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: It's a musical, I know, but the music is great besides.

for shiz, Winfrey. i just watched this (again) last weekend, and most of the songs crack me up.
    edited November 2009
    poofie wrote:
    for shiz, Winfrey. i just watched this (again) last weekend, and most of the songs crack me up.

Well bless your beautiful hide! :wink:
  • lersheelershee Keeper of J Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Here's my five:

<b>Newsies</b> - This a great musical that's based on true historic events!
    <b>Death Proof</b> - Awesome soundtrack. I especially love "Down in Mexico" by The Coasters.
    <b>Wicked</b> - What can I say? I love musicals!
    <b>West Side Story</b> - See number 3. And I'm talking the 1960's original movie soundtrack.
    <b>Hairspray</b> - Again, see number 3. I love the soundtrack on the most recent movies. Gotta love Michelle Pfeifer!
  • wahaywahay Cincinnati, OH Member
    edited November 2009
    1) The Fountain
    2) Atonement
    3) Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
    4) Prince of Egypt
    5) Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

This list only includes soundtracks I want to listen to outside of the movie experience. Other great soundtracks, like Up or Crash, have no business being played outside of the footage.
  • edited January 2010
    The Big Lebowski and The Virgin Suicides both had wonderful soundtracks too.