M2N32-SLI Deluxe & AM3 CPU in Windows 7

chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
edited March 2010 in Hardware
I'm having trouble with my combination of hardware and OS and I'm running out of ideas with my more-or-less limited knowledge of the hardware side of computing (compared to you guys anyway :)).

I recently picked up a new ATI Radeon HD 5700 series card and went shopping for a new CPU to upgrade as well. My motherboard, the M2N32-SLI Deluxe is getting pretty old at this point but it does support AM2+ CPUs (with a bios update) and I've read that AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2+ motherboards so I picked up a Phenom II X4 955 thinking it would work out fine.

A fresh Windows install was due as well so I decided to plug the GPU in and wipe the system drive and install Windows 7 (x64) from scratch while I waited for the new CPU to arrive this weekend. Everything worked fine, I was able to install the nforce drivers and I could open the NVIDIA control panel to change the RAID settings just fine.

Then the CPU arrived and I plugged it in, here's how things were looking:

CPU-Z.PNG

Running just a bit slow. My dad decided to upgrade his computer at the same time, identical setup for motherboard and CPU, he has an NVIDIA GPU and is also running Windows 7 (x64). He's also more of a hardware guy then I am. For him, fixing this was as simple as firing up the NVIDIA system tools and changing the settings and particularly the multiplier from there and everything's working great.

Unfortunately, things aren't working out so well for me. I installed the NVIDIA System tools (v 6.05) and this is what I get whenever I try to run the NVIDIA Control Panel:

NVIDIA%20Display.PNG

I can't seem to get past this, I suspect it's not seeing the forceware motherboard so it's just looking for a GPU? NVIDIA system monitor runs just fine, even NVIDIA's auto driver utility on their site found the motherboard but I seem to be out of luck getting the Control Panel to run.

nHancer gives me this error:

nvapi-dll.png

Oddly, the NVIDIA System Monitor runs just fine.

For what it's worth, the settings are correctly setup in the bios.

Any idea what I can do to get the NVIDIA tools to run? Alternatively is there another utility I can use to change the CPU settings?

I'd really rather not end up buying a new motherboard, budget is really tight right now after buying the Radeon (CPU was a graduation gift).

Comments

• chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    Well, I threw my old NVIDIA in GPU temporarily and I was then able to open the NVIDIA Control Panel and correctly set it. Pulled out the NVIDIA card and put my ATI one back in, Control Panel won't run and CPU-Z says I'm back down to 4x again.

Recommendations on a decent motherboard? Preferably not another Asus one?
  • edited December 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:

Recommendations on a decent motherboard? Preferably not another Asus one?

If you want to use your current DDR2 RAM with the new MB, you will need to buy a AM2+/AM3 MB. If you will buy new DDR3 RAM, you can buy AM3 MB. If you can, I would recommend switching to DDR3 and AM3 at this point. You can sell your current RAM while DDR2 is still in demand and its price is higher than DDR3.
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, I had not considered that.

Are there any downsides to leaving my 7600GT in the motherboard but running my ATI with my monitor? It doesn't even need geforce drivers installed for the NVIDIA control panel to pop right up.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Why do you need the system tools?
  • edited December 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    Hmm, I had not considered that.

Are there any downsides to leaving my 7600GT in the motherboard but running my ATI with my monitor? It doesn't even need geforce drivers installed for the NVIDIA control panel to pop right up.

Before trying such an ad-hoc solution, are you sure you are using the very latest BIOS of that motherboard, even if it is still beta? There must be other people having the same problem with you.
    edited December 2009
    Thrax, with it I can get at these clock speed settings:

control%20panel.JPG

Earning me this:

CPU-Z.JPG

As apposed to this:

CPU-Z.PNG

Setting the multiplier to a high value in the bios only let's me choose a higher multiplyer in the NVIDIA System Tools and, unfortionatly, those settings don't seem to stick when I pull out my geforce.

Am I fundamentally missing something? Or is there another way to access these settings with a different tool?

Mirage, well, you never know with Asus' site but it appears so. I'm running version 2209 from here.
    edited December 2009
    I guess what I'm asking is: Why not just set the correct multiplier in the BIOS? Overclocking via software sucks.

Nobody makes a mobo that needs a certain brand of GPU to set the right CPU speed. That's an antitrust violation, and would send the FTC crawling up their ass faster than Microsoft in a browser store.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Chris, I think that's just power saving mode... you're seeing the settings of the computer when it is idle. I'm willing to bet you'd crash instantly after using the nvidia control panel to set it to what you did.

To make sure it's working normally, reboot it (so it goes back to normal), start a Prime95 stress test, and then check CPU-Z again.

If you don't like it clocking down like that, disable Cool n Quiet and C1E tech in the BIOS.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    I guess what I'm asking is: Why not just set the correct multiplier in the BIOS? Overclocking via software sucks.
    Ah, you beat me to it, Thrax.

Chris, he's right, you're not likely to get very far overclocking in Windows. Use the BIOS.
  • edited December 2009
    Nvidia System Tools seems to support your chipset but I could not find an indication that it needs an Nvidia GPU to work.

Did you also try AMD Overdrive? Does it require an AMD chipset?

PS: To answer myself, yes, AMD Overdrive requires AMD chipset.
  • edited December 2009
    As I understand, Chris' problem is that the CPU is stuck at 4X multiplier. It is not a power saving/overclocking issue. The next problem is Nvidia System Tools, which can unlock the multiplier, is somehow refusing to work without Nvidia GPU.
    edited December 2009
    NVIDIA system tools ties itself into the NVIDIA control panel, which will only open when an NVIDIA GPU is present. That's simply why it won't open.

I still suggest disabling Cool n Quiet and C1E and see if there's still a problem.
    edited December 2009
    Doesn't matter what I set in the bios, nothing changes except for letting me set it high in the system tool.

Currently, the bios is set to 20x, but CPU-Z and other utilities tell me it's running at 4.0x.

Lordbean, I'll try it when I get home. Power options are set to high performance, on balanced or power saver I don't get the clock speed settings in the nvidia Control Panel. The problem is that I can't access the control panel without the gforce. I'm experiencing no crashes though.

With my old CPU the nvidia control panel popped right up because it knew there was an nforce motherboard. It's like it doessnt realize the nforce chipset is still there with the new CPU .
    edited December 2009
    Your CPU is running at its idle clockspeed. This is normal. It's what all CPUs do when their power saving options are enabled in the BIOS. Nothing is changing because you haven't put a load on it because you've probably been preoccupied with the presumption that something is wrong.

Unless you turn CNQ and C1E off, changing the BIOS multiplier won't have an obvious effect unless you trigger a CPU load, at which point the clockspeed will immediately jump to whatever is configured in the BIOs.

There's no need for that utility at all.
    edited December 2009
    Nice, I'm feeling brilliant at the moment :)

I will play more this afternoon after my final.

The NVIDIA thing still seems weird but I've had nothing but trouble with forceware over the last few years.

Also, you guys rock, thanks for the help, I've never really paid attention to this stuff before.
    edited December 2009
    LordBean & Thrax, I also just realized that I have run it with Cool and Quite and C1E off, but I might have still been on balanced power in Windows, would that still stop it down when mostly idle?
    edited December 2009
    Probably, yes.
    edited December 2009
    Okay. First the settings:

JumperFree%20Config.jpg
    CPU%20Settings.jpg
    power%20options.PNG
    advanced%20power%20options.PNG

Result: Stuck at x4.0.

Prime95.PNG

Ideas?
  • edited December 2009
    You have a BIOS problem as you said in your first post.
    Problem can be resolved by
    - Updating the BIOS. But I checked and did not see a later version than you have.
    - Find a way to make Nvidia System Tools work without an Nvidia GPU. Maybe you can try an older version of Ntune or find a command line parameter, or something like that, to convince Nvidia System Tools start. Or, you can try installing your Nvidia card along with ATI card.
    - Finally, buy a new motherboard as you were initially planning.
    - I searched but did not find, but you could also find a third-party overclocking tool. There was a Systool software for Athlon 64 but it has not been updated since almost two years.

That is such a shame for Nvidia to lock their software without the GPU, although the software is also for the chipset.
    edited December 2009
    mirage wrote:
    That is such a shame for Nvidia to lock their software without the GPU, although the software is also for the chipset.

That's what I don't understand, I don't think NVIDIA actually did (intentionally), I think there's some kind of bug since I ran it fine without the NVIDIA GPU before changing the CPU. Edit: granted, I didn't have System Tools installed...Actually...let's see if it runs without System Tools and just the nforce driver.
  • edited December 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    That's what I don't understand, I don't think NVIDIA actually did (intentionally), I think there's some kind of bug since I ran it fine without the NVIDIA GPU before changing the CPU. Edit: granted, I didn't have System Tools installed...Actually...let's see if it runs without System Tools and just the nforce driver.

You can try the followings
    - Remove the Nvidia card and reboot if you still have it in the system
    - Uninstall Nvidia driver, chipset software, Nvidia System software.
    - Boot into safe mode and use Driver Sweeper to clean every trace of all Nvidia tools.
    - Reboot into Windows normally and try reinstalling the Nvidia software without the Nvidia graphics card.
    edited December 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    advanced%20power%20options.PNG

System cooling policy should be on Active. Passive attempts to scale the CPU speed back before increasing the fan speed; Active increases the fan speed before scaling the CPU back.
    edited December 2009
    Awesome, without the NVIDIA System Tools the NVIDIA Control Panel launches just fine, with the System Tools I get the graphics card error. Which makes me think, I'll bet it wouldn't have worked on my old CPU either, I just hadn't ever needed to install System Tools.

LordBean, changed the option and still no luck.
    edited December 2009
    Here's another random suggestion...

At x20, your CPU speed would end up being 4000MHz (which is an overclock). For some reason, your motherboard or CPU may not be liking this. Try setting the multiplier to x16, which will produce your stock speed (3.2GHz). If the problem goes away, then you know the cause.
    edited December 2009
    No difference whatsoever :(

So, it looks like I'm running out of options so let me go back to the question about keeping the 7600GT in the computer but not actually using it, are there real downsides? It doesn't need the gforce drivers installed to work.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why are you so apparently set on using a software overclocking utility? Over the years, I've tried several manufacturers' CPU software solutions, all of which were mediocre at best. Use software overclocking for GPUs, but use the BIOS for the motherboard and CPU.
    edited December 2009
    Edit: Miss-read your question. How do I hardware overclock it? Whatever I do in the bios doesn't change the x0.4 multiplier and the 800 MHz.
    edited December 2009
    Have you tried simply putting AI tuning on Auto? It's possible if you let the BIOS configure the whole gamut of settings on its own, it may work.
    edited December 2009
    Yes, no difference.