M2N32-SLI Deluxe & AM3 CPU in Windows 7

2»

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Damn, man, what a bugger. Unfortunate as it is, the BIOS on your mobo must not be fully compatible with your new CPU. Sounds like all you can do is pray for an update (and possibly e-mail their tech support).
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited December 2009
    Oh this just gets better and better. I threw the 7600GT back into the machine as a second graphics card, fired up System Tools and BAM!

NVIDIA%20Display.PNG

*expletives*

Shut down, plug the monitor into the 7600 GT instead of the Radeon, boot, System Tools starts up just fine.

So, with this motherboard it's impossible to run my CPU at more then 1/4 speed using my Radeon.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    You should be able to use your Radeon as your primary card, but the Geforce has to have a monitor plugged in and enabled (even as a secondary) in order for the NVIDIA control panel to open up. I found this out when I was messing with Radeon+Geforce PhysX configurations.
    edited December 2009
    So the problems are mostly resolved with a second monitor I resurrected from someone's leftovers, I've got it stable at 202MHz with CPU multiplier of 17, the NVIDIA card doesn't seam to be causing any problems with the AMD one except for an occasional error from the Radeon when I turn off the LCD plugged into that. Anything over 17 seems to kill it but everything other then the HT bus and the CPU Core Multiplier are set to auto in the bios so I may still be able to tweak it higher.

Radeon's running like a dream, I have it overclocked to a core voltage of 1125 and memory clocked to 1200MHz and it seems to be rock solid. Loving that, it handles Batman at the highest settings other then anti-aliasing with a bare minimum of around 30 FPS and averages around 45.

Thanks for all your help guys, you rock!

I wish that fixed all of the problems I'm having though. I still have wired networking drop out a few times a day on me. All network connectivity just seems to die, sometimes I get an error that the default gateway is unavailable and sometimes it Windows can't figure out what's wrong. Weird thing is that it happens less when I use DHCP even though I'm giving it all the same information DHCP does except for the IP. Sometimes Windows can fix but usually I have to unplug the network cable and plug it into the other port and it works fine again for a while. I have two other wired devices that have no problems whatsoever maintaining their connections, just this computer.

To be fair though, this has happened to me before when I first installed Windows 7 back in the beta, at some point the problem just went away, nothing I changed. During the course of this I've reinstalled Win 7 two or three times and this problem crops up every time. Doesn't seem to matter if I have the nforce network drivers installed though I never install the NVIDIA Network Access Manager.

My newest problem just started last night when I tried to convert my Win 7 Ultimate trials to the Win 7 Enterprise license school finally got around to giving out. I used these instructions and I'm not sure whether this caused the problem or it just freaked out at the same time but the Windows 7 installer gives me this error:

"Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary installation files. To install Windows, make srue that a partition on your boot disk has at least 814 megabytes (MB) of free space.

Error code: 0x80070490"

That's weird, I've got 15-400 GB free on each of my different drives. So I open Disk Management and it just sits on "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service..." for a minute or two and then "Loading disk configuration information..." for as long as I leave it. I've of course rebooted and Windows Explorer has not problem seeing any of my drives. Think I should just reinstall from scratch again?

This was supposed to be such a good motherboard but it's been nothing but a nightmare.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    You should be able to use your Radeon as your primary card, but the Geforce has to have a monitor plugged in and enabled
    You might just need a dummy plug. Make a dummy plug in 30 seconds. These plugs will trick Vista and Windows 7 into sensing monitors are attached to the unused video card ports. Two of my multi-GPU Folding@Home rigs are running under Windows 7 using dummy plugs. Give it a try, if you don't want that second monitor on your desk. The resistors are are about a $1 for a six-pack.
    edited December 2009
    Oh that's cool!
    edited December 2009
    Went ahead an reinstalled Windows, the Win7 setup failed on me a number of times until I pulled out all my drives except my system RAID and I was able to install it just fine.

The fun new problem introduced along the way is that if I have a USB keyboard plugged into the computer at all it freezes while booting every time, usually before the post but sometimes after the RAID screen before Windows is started. Pull out the USB keyboard and it boots no problem.

Anyway, I'm on to learning how to overclock now. I've started with this article's process and a few articles and forum threads specific to my motherboard. I'm starting with the CPU frequency and voltage, I've read that people have gotten the voltage up to 1.5v but I decided to start at 1.3v which had some trouble booting after exciting the bios, going up to 1.35 seems stable though.

Next I'm adjusting the CPU Frequency. I went ahead an turned the CPU Multiplier to 7x and the Memory Clock Frequency to DDR2 533 as instructed and have started increasing the the CPU Frequency.

I'm up to 260 and everything seems stable but my CPU temperature is hitting 61C under load after 10 minutes of Prime 95 and this CPU is supposed to max out at 62C. So my question is, do I continue to increase the frequency until it gets unstable like the instructions said or do I stop it here and move on to the next step?
    edited December 2009
    Turns out I was paying attention to the CPU temp not the cores and it sounds like those are the more relevant readings. Looks like my maximum FSB is 271 MHz with voltage at 1.5 (though CPU-Z tells me it's only running at 1.392 V). Now for the next step.
    edited December 2009
    Finally found the sweet spot I think, CPU frequency is at 235 with a multiplier of 15 (3525MHz) with RAM at DDR2 800. I can actually hit 240 MHz at x20 in Memtest86 without errors but I'll bet it's actually not running at x20 since Memtest isn't setting that in software like I've had to do with NVIDIA performance in Windows.

I think I'm going to dick around with memory timings and then the Radeon overclocking but looks like this is finally gotten where I'm happy with it, even if it's been a bitch getting here. It'll be nice to use a decent USB keyboard again now that I won't be rebooting ever five minutes.
  • edited February 2010
    I have the same motherboard and have been contemplating upgrading to a Phenom also, I found on the ASUS website that the highest you can go is the Phenom II X4 940 with the 2209 bios upgrade.

I also was doing some research on AMD's processors and read that after the 940 all the Phenom's were socket AM3, the 940 was the last AM2+ compatible. I know you don't want to hear this news, and for your sake I hope this isn't your problem but I thought I should put it out there any way. Maybe you should try going back to your old GPU and see if that helps with your GPU problem, if it does you will have your processor compatibilty answer.
    chrisWhite wrote:
    I'm having trouble with my combination of hardware and OS and I'm running out of ideas with my more-or-less limited knowledge of the hardware side of computing (compared to you guys anyway :)).

I recently picked up a new ATI Radeon HD 5700 series card and went shopping for a new CPU to upgrade as well. My motherboard, the M2N32-SLI Deluxe is getting pretty old at this point but it does support AM2+ CPUs (with a bios update) and I've read that AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2+ motherboards so I picked up a Phenom II X4 955 thinking it would work out fine.

A fresh Windows install was due as well so I decided to plug the GPU in and wipe the system drive and install Windows 7 (x64) from scratch while I waited for the new CPU to arrive this weekend. Everything worked fine, I was able to install the nforce drivers and I could open the NVIDIA control panel to change the RAID settings just fine.

Then the CPU arrived and I plugged it in, here's how things were looking:

CPU-Z.PNG

Running just a bit slow. My dad decided to upgrade his computer at the same time, identical setup for motherboard and CPU, he has an NVIDIA GPU and is also running Windows 7 (x64). He's also more of a hardware guy then I am. For him, fixing this was as simple as firing up the NVIDIA system tools and changing the settings and particularly the multiplier from there and everything's working great.

Unfortunately, things aren't working out so well for me. I installed the NVIDIA System tools (v 6.05) and this is what I get whenever I try to run the NVIDIA Control Panel:

NVIDIA%20Display.PNG

I can't seem to get past this, I suspect it's not seeing the forceware motherboard so it's just looking for a GPU? NVIDIA system monitor runs just fine, even NVIDIA's auto driver utility on their site found the motherboard but I seem to be out of luck getting the Control Panel to run.

nHancer gives me this error:

nvapi-dll.png

Oddly, the NVIDIA System Monitor runs just fine.

For what it's worth, the settings are correctly setup in the bios.

Any idea what I can do to get the NVIDIA tools to run? Alternatively is there another utility I can use to change the CPU settings?

I'd really rather not end up buying a new motherboard, budget is really tight right now after buying the Radeon (CPU was a graduation gift).
  • edited March 2010
    gtoron wrote:
    I have the same motherboard and have been contemplating upgrading to a Phenom also, I found on the ASUS website that the highest you can go is the Phenom II X4 940 with the 2209 bios upgrade.

I also was doing some research on AMD's processors and read that after the 940 all the Phenom's were socket AM3, the 940 was the last AM2+ compatible. I know you don't want to hear this news, and for your sake I hope this isn't your problem but I thought I should put it out there any way. Maybe you should try going back to your old GPU and see if that helps with your GPU problem, if it does you will have your processor compatibilty answer.

You can go AM3 but ul need a bios with updated AGESA plus CnQ wont work and the multiplier must be set from within windows using a phenom msr tweaker mod edition.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a8eok5

Here try this rom, its been specially modded to recognise the AM2+ & AM3 cpus. So no more "unknown cpu" messages!

failing that pop over to bios-mods.com speak to TheWiz and tell him Ace sent you and he'l tweak the bios further if needed.