Expo Icrontic: Golfing 2010

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Dibs on the taller set between Ryder and Fatcat's spares

-Bobby
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'd like to join in again, but it's overlapping with the Catan tourney this year, so I'll have to give it a miss.
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I've got my own clubs as well - but depending on my job situation I may or may not be able to go.

I'll know more as we get closer to Expo.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm in for sure now fatcat. I have purchased my Expo ticket and I'm just shopping around for hotel rooms at this point. I have my own clubs.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    ardi - own clubs
    qch -own clubs
    ghoos - own clubs
    bobby
    fatcat - own clubs
    ryder - own clubs
    shwaip - own clubs
    jimmeh

maybe: zenmode - own clubs

How tall are you Bobby? I'm 6'1" and my spare set is the standard height, so just lemme know. my set does include a 460cc driver that Shwaip hits about 400 yards every year...
    edited May 2010
    also got a message from some strange-rocket-fuel-loving Floridian about some BADASS prizes for the golfers this year. more to come
    edited May 2010
    I'm between 6'1" and 6'3" depending on what convenience store I am leaving at the time. I've always played with my Grandpas clubs and they are way shorter than average so I've learned a cracked knee golf stance. I'm no pro golfer so whatever I can get my hands on is fine. I'd play the entire game with a 9 iron and a putter if needed.

Thanks!

-Bobby
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    My spare set is also standard length.
    edited May 2010
    Rates link is broke in the OP
    Please excuse our mess. We are currently re-vamping our website.

http://www.maplelanegolf.com/rates.html

-Bobby
    edited May 2010
    Also, I am all about saving money so this is relevant to my interest:
    PREPAID SPECIALS:
    Purchase a token for ten 9-hole green fees and save $20. The token can
    be used at any time, on any day throughout 2010 including league play. In
    addition, the token can be combined to play 18 holes.

Sounds like 5 people can go in and save $4 each. Would have to verify that this token can be used by multiple golfers.

-Bobby
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Working fine here:
    Rates 	                         Walking     Riding     
    Weekdays: 	  	 
    9-holes 	                   $20 	      $27
    18-holes 	                   $25 	      $36
    18-holes "Special" before noon                $30
    18-holes "Senior" before noon 	     	      $25

Weekends: 		
    9-holes 	                   $21 	      $28
    18-holes 	                   $27 	      $38
    18-holes "Special" after 3PM 		      $30
    18-holes 'Senior" after 3PM 		      $25

(Seniors = 60+ years)

edited May 2010
    Did you click my link or the orig link? Sorry I did not specify I was posting the updated link. The extension on the new page is .html and the original link is .htm and gives:
    500 - View not found [name, type, prefix]: article,htm,contentView
    You may not be able to visit this page because of:
    1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
    2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
    3. a mistyped address
    4. you have no access to this page
    5. The requested resource was not found.
    6. An error has occurred while processing your request.
    Please try one of the following pages:
    * Home Page
    If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.
    View not found [name, type, prefix]: article,htm,contentView

-Bobby
    edited May 2010
    original link fixt
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm amazed their rates haven't increased. $30 for riding 18 is a hell of a deal.
    edited May 2010
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'm amazed their rates haven't increased. $30 for riding 18 is a hell of a deal.

Yup, and they are always busy. Found the right price/profit ratio
    edited May 2010
    Due to the generosity of DogDragon, all participates will receive a 3-pack of brand new golf balls with enclosure :thumbsup: Now this WILL NOT be enough golf balls to get you through 18 holes, so you will still need to bring your own. (along with tees)

Also, new this year are Achievements and prizes for getting these achievements. These have been added to spice up the event a little and add to the LOLs. Achievements will be announced in my next post. Each achievement will win the player a prize, which will remain secret, but are all golf related ;)
    edited May 2010
    ACHIEVEMENTS FOR GOLF EVENT 2010
    (a player can only win an achievement once)

[TREASURE HUNTER] Player successfully hits the ball out of a sand trap onto the green. (20pts)

[WOOD CHUCKED] Player successfully hits a tree with the golf ball and has it land on the fairway or green (30pts)

[FLY LIKE AN EAGLE] Player successfully scores his team an eagle or birdie hitting the ball from anywhere BUT the green (no putting eagles or birdies) (40pts)

[HORSESHOES AND HANDGRENADES] Player successfully hits his ball closest to the hole from the tee box on a preselected par 3. (40pts)

[AIR JORDAN] Player completely misses hitting the golf ball with club. (must be an honest swing) (10pts)

[DIVIDED BY ZERO] Player successfully hits a ball for negative yards. (again, must be an honest forward club swing) (20pts)

[CADDY SHACKED] Player successfully hits a member of wildlife with the golf ball. (30pts)

[DRILL BABY, DRILL] Player successfully hits the ground behind the golf ball twice in a row. (honest swing again) (20pts)

[I'LL PLUG THAT OIL LEAK] Player successfully hits a golf ball into a water hazard from at least 75 yards away. (30pts)

[YOU MAD BRO?] Player hits a golf ball from the tee box over 250 yards and lands on the fairway on a preselected par 5. (40pts)

[GOIN' THE DISTANCE] Player successfully makes a putt of at least 15 yards. (30pts)

[CAPTURE THE FLAG] Player hits the flag pole on any shot. (except putts, the flag is removed during putting) (40pts)

[I KEEP MY BALLS IN A JAR] Player successfully completes the golfing event without losing more than one (1) golf ball. (40pts)

[EYE OF THE TIGER WOODS] Player successfully flirts with the beer cart lady. (gets free drink|phone number|date|brings her to expo) (bazillion pts)

[FOUR SCORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGO] Player has to shout "FORE" after hitting a bad shot and endangering other golfer's lives. (10pts)

[BIG BEEF BURRITO] Player is completely shitfaced by the end of 18 holes. (20pts)

[UNH, I'M SO FUCKING GOOD AT THIS GAMEâ„¢] Player with the most achievement points at the end of the golfing event . (gets special prize)

Each team will have a clipboard with a list of the Achievements so they can keep track during the golf outing :)
    edited May 2010
    GH tells me that he doesn't think that golf will overlap with my Catan tourney, so maybe I can make it afterall.

However, my short game is better than my long game, and I prefer putting over driving anyway, so these rule changes don't jive with me.

Instead of cutting out the putting, can we cut out the driving? Like "drive once, then pick-up your ball and proceed to the green"? Or better yet, just start on the green?
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    fatcat wrote:

[EYE OF THE TIGER WOODS] Player successfully flirts with the beer cart lady. (gets free drink|phone number|date|brings her to expo) (bazillion pts)

[BIG BEEF BURRITO] Player is completely shitfaced by the end of 18 holes. (20pts)

I see these 2 achievements working well together.
    edited May 2010
    CB, skipping driving and chipping would be like crossing the streams.... and it is a scramble, we play best ball anyways.

and prag, why the hell aren't you on the list of golfers?
    edited May 2010
    I move that Drill Drill Drill achievement get renamed to Drill Baby, Drill`
    edited May 2010
    In all seriousness, What's the point of golfing if you don't actually finish any of the holes?

I understand the time crunch, but wouldn't it make more sense to do fewer holes or something else instead of just quitting when we reach the green each time. Is that a normal golf thing that people actually do? It seems dumb to me.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    by quitting when you reach the green, you mean after 4 people miss a putt each?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    there will be a 2 putt rule once your team gets on the green. 2 putt rule is everyone on the team gets one chance to putt into the cup, if none of the players on the team make it, you pick up your balls, add a stroke and head to the next hole.

CB, there is putting just not allow 5 puts per person. Drive to the green and hope one of you can sink the ball, if not, add one stroke.
    edited May 2010
    QCH wrote:
    CB, there is putting just not allow 5 puts per person. Drive to the green and hope one of you can sink the ball, if not, add one stroke.

I don't know. I don't think that will really cut that much time off of each hole to make it worth removing it. I mean: It doesn't happen often anyway, so what's the difference if we take one more put to actually get it in? How much time does it really save?
    edited May 2010
    Here I always thought the 2-putt rule was that each person on the team gets 2 putts and at that point you pick up and add a stroke (i.e. - you have 3-putted the hole).
    edited May 2010
    say each putt takes 1 minute (very low IMO, I would say putts average almost two minutes and includes lining up your shot, hitting the ball, and watching it miss the hole)

times 8 golfers (if we have only 8 golfers)

times 18 holes

that is 144 minutes, over two hours.

most golfers 3-putt

the two-putt rule allows up to 4 chances (one per golfer) to make a putt.
    edited May 2010
    added these Achievements:

[GOIN' THE DISTANCE] Player successfully makes a putt of at least 15 yards. (30pts)

[CAPTURE THE FLAG] Player hits the flag pole on any shot. (except putts, the flag is removed during putting) (40pts)

[I KEEP MY BALLS IN A JAR] Player successfully completes the golfing event without losing more than one (1) golf ball. (40pts)
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    Each achievement will win the player a prize, which will remain secret ;)

;D I know the Secret, I know the Secret ;D

I also know what the winner gets, Fatcat has no clue :D
    Also since Q won this thing a couple times maybe you should
    have him take a shot or drink a whole beer before each T :D
    edited May 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    I move that Drill Drill Drill achievement get renamed to Drill Baby, Drill`

noted