Why id Software's RAGE is going to suck

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Few things

1. As stated, the storyline has been done before and will continue as long as it makes money. If you don't like it then find a different reason to play, if thats all you play for then don't play. It is a fun story to play and even though you've seen a million times you don't buy the game for just that, but the package itself. No need to cry about it. In the end the game will make the money spent on it off of hype alone.

2. The graphics will probably be "far" better on PC then the consoles, because PC's can be upgraded to increase capability and consoles can't (the short version). Do the homework and you will see why upgrading hard and software makes things like that better (Crysis). Graphics don't make or break a game. If anyone on here is at least thirty then you remember PAC-MAN, and TETRIS and possibly PONG. When I was a kid i played pokemon (red version all day). It wasn't the graphics but what I did in the game that made me play. Graphics are important, but the consoles have been out for awhile and the PC can only get so much better. Over time the "next big leap" in graphics will happen (such as playstation 1 to playstation 2 and later playstation 3). This type of stuff doesn't happen overnight and yes the hype did make things bigger than they appear to be, but it beats CoD graphics and Halo graphics. People play the shit out of those instead of Crysis 2, so is it really about that.

3. Games in general will always be speculated on. Someone will always have something to say and people will always talk shit because they can (that's the unconsious reason telephones were invented (if you remember that phones came before internet and don't complain about talking to your friends). At the end of the day, forums like this are pointless. Let someone talk about how they feel and then make them feel good by actually giving a damn. I am one of those people sadly since I am commenting. There are good games and bad games. Rage will be what you wan't to be. I would suggest trying it (via friend who owns or rent) and then determine if it is worth the money.

Final point to consider. Only the truly hardcore players still play the original call of duty right. Only people who have bonded to the game for some dam reason that I don't understand. Get your hands on it when it comes out give it a quick run. If you won't play it 5 years from now then it isn't worth it (or until next gen consoles appear). Pick up a book or start a collection of games you like to pass on to your kids. If your a kid then play whatever makes you happy and socially acceptable. The main thing to get out of this is, don't waste others time talking all the shit in the world about why something sucks. Be professional or leave it to the pro's. Write neutrally about the pro's and con's (and please god consider that the nothing that's come out thus far is as graphically captivating as real life).

For instance, the graphics in comparison to the Crysis games in my opinion are not as detailed or rich. However, they do outshine many similiar games which is a good reason to try it out (enjoy the minor upgrade). The story is tried and true. Not anything innovative, but (as far as we've seen which is about jack sht) should be worth a trial or two. Features in the game promise to keep the action and replay relatively good, but it won't last forever. If fallout and borderlands are your thing, and you wan't a taste of Crysis without the futuristic combat, then this game should be worth the time.

Leave hype and it's promises out of it. Everything has hype, what matters is what it can do and since no one here has played the game (or at least long enough to say it really is bad which it won't be because it isn't like your paying 60 for prey 1) no one can say what it will be or what it wont. Your opinions are important to you, but when I view these pages I expect to see factual evidence that supports such a statement as "id Software's Rage is going to suck".
  • edited August 2011
    Yea, its long, but it's worth reading, unlike the rest of the page. Unless you're bored, as I was.
  • edited August 2011
    Also in regards to the picture of the girl with "nice legs". It's those legs that will attract my more permanent attention. Not the dam wall. I run past walls.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I love id software, because every humanoid looks like it's been smeared in vaseline and encased in saran wrap.
  • edited August 2011
    I say damn development first for consoles this game proves the hell that their hardware is outdated. All games should be made for computer to the highest available quality that a PC can run then they should cater for the consoles not the other way around... Also rage dosn't have enough guns... Pistol shotgun smg assault rifle and that silly crossbow thing.. I wont buy this one
  • edited September 2011
    Some nobody says its going to suck compared to countless well known gamer sites and mags that have said it is awesome? Well Im convinced. Cancelling my reserve!
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Hear that Lynx? You a nobody. A NOBODY!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I only drink champagne from the finest Ford Edsel hubcaps.

No one at IGN can claim that.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Jason says UPSLynx is a Nobody

It is common knowledge that Nobody's Perfect

Therefor UPSLynx is Perfect

Yup, Rage Sucks.

-Digi
    edited September 2011
    Couldn't have put it better myself, Digi.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Jamoy says UPSLynx is a Nobody

It is common knowledge that Nobody's Perfect

Therefor UPSLynx is Perfect

Yup, Rage Sucks.

-Digi
    Jason actually.
    edited October 2011
    Ben Kuchera giving us some Real Talkâ„¢ on RAGE:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/10/rage-is-the-gamiest-game-that-ever-gamed.ars

It's funny, on Twitter today he was mentioning how EGM has EXCLUSIVE FIRST ACCESS REVIEW on the game, and guess what? They gave it a 9.5. Shocking.

I trust Ars more than any other online publication for game reviews because Ben is the real deal. You know Ars didn't get paid off for this review. And behold - RAGE sucks.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Ben Kuchera giving us some Real Talkâ„¢ on RAGE:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/10/rage-is-the-gamiest-game-that-ever-gamed.ars

It's funny, on Twitter today he was mentioning how EGM has EXCLUSIVE FIRST ACCESS REVIEW on the game, and guess what? They gave it a 9.5. Shocking.

I trust Ars more than any other online publication for game reviews because Ben is the real deal. You know Ars didn't get paid off for this review. And behold - RAGE sucks.

Ars is a consistently great site on all fronts. I'll still reserve judgement, but my impression from that review and the game-play I have seen is this is merely going to be a sorta, kinda, almost good game vs. anything extraordinary. It's a shame, it seems like id has become a mid tier developer and is no longer able to innovate. They are not a relevant player in the genre they created.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2011
    The reviews are rolling consensus is generally that it's a great looking game has lots of fun elements to it, play time is about 10-13hrs. It doesn't really push any boundaries but what it does it does well. In other words a typical ID game.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    It sounds exactly like Doom 3. "OMG AMAZING LOOK" and then the game is boring and stupid.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    It will suck because when I originally heard the title I thought it was a remake of the old Rage fighting game for SEGA with the badass dinosaurs.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    It will suck because when I originally heard the title I thought it was a remake of the old Rage fighting game for SEGA with the badass dinosaurs.

Primal Rage!

*this post in memory of all the quarters spent on Primal Rage in the arcade*

-Digi
    edited October 2011
    Oh Lord, if RAGE were a Primal Rage remake, I would buy ALL THE COPIES.
    edited October 2011
    It does make me sad that ID has lost their touch. I mean, they CREATED the FPS. We all have fond memories of playing their early games and using their engines (the amount of time I spent of Quake 2 engine games, specifically Half-Life, will never be surpassed by another engine).

Thing is, technically speaking, they don't even push boundaries anymore. Sure RAGE looks good, but what has it changed? Where did the engine innovate? Mega Textures is pretty much all they've got, and while that is cool it's not a game changer.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'm sure Rage is marginal, but just a few thoughts on the engine:
    It is still really impressive that id is doing most everything with their own code to the point where they can legally release this as open source some day.
    It's also extremely cool that the engine is apparently so developer friendly and that it can run on so many different platforms without major modifications.

From a developer's standpoint, having extreme flexibility and the ability to quickly learn and use an engine provides a lot of benefits ... especially when it is made clear up front what the engine is and is not for.

With that being said not all of the features in the engine have been made public. I'm hoping Rage is just to get some cash flow, and Doom 4 blows our minds. I'm hoping hoping hoping.

Basically I just don't want to jump on the id lost their touch bandwagon based on Rage, I'll wait for Doom4.
    edited October 2011
    I'm basing it on Doom 3, Quake 4, and Rage.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'm basing it on Doom 3, Quake 4, and Rage.

sad =(
    Now I feel like I'm in denial.
    edited October 2011
    id lost me when I paid $50 for Doom III. I was SO excited for that game. I was a fanboy. I was a believer.

Then I played it. And it sucked ass. Bad.

Then I shelved all that and got excited for Quake 4. Boom! Quake! What could go wrong? IT'S QUAKE. Some of the best gaming memories of my life were from Quake.

I paid $40 for it. Then I played it. And it sucked ass. Bad.

I was done then and there.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I keep forgetting there even was a Quake 4. I know exactly nothing about it, but it sounds like I'm not missing out.
    edited October 2011
    You're not.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, Quake 4 was awful.

I don't know what it is - did ID forget how to tell a story and make a proper fun game, or have they gone the way of DNF and just get way outside relevancy with modern shooter mechanics?

It sounds like they tried to do interesting things in RAGE with the cars and such, but the overall experience sounds mucky.

I wish Carmack would team up with some solid storytellers, like Valve. Imagine the game that would produce. I salivate just thinking about it.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Yeah, Quake 4 was awful.

I don't know what it is - did ID forget how to tell a story and make a proper fun game, or have they gone the way of DNF and just get way outside relevancy with modern shooter mechanics?

It sounds like they tried to do interesting things in RAGE with the cars and such, but the overall experience sounds mucky.

I wish Carmack would team up with some solid storytellers, like Valve. Imagine the game that would produce. I salivate just thinking about it.

The physiological recation I have is much different. :vimp:
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Oh memories of Doom 3.... I've never seen 12 shades of black take so much horsepower to render.
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:

My theory is that we grew up, other game devs grew up, but id didn't.

We expect more from our games now. We're better. The games are better. id never changed. BLOW UP STUFF COOL GRAPHICS RARR