Why id Software's RAGE is going to suck

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    My theory is that we grew up, other game devs grew up, but id didn't.

We expect more from our games now. We're better. The games are better. id never changed. BLOW UP STUFF COOL GRAPHICS RARR

I just don't understand why they hired Bethesda. I thought the relationship was id makes the engine, Bethesda makes the game. What was Bethesda's job in all of this if id was in charge of making a plot and good game mechanics?
  • edited October 2011
    Apparently the author is less a journalist, more a prophet. You hit the nail on the head over a year before its release. Good one.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    He's THAT good
    Teramona
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This is the second correct prediction that has come to reality this week by Lynxtradamus.

The omniscient Lynx tells all truth.
    Teramona
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    This is the second correct prediction that has come to reality this week by Lynxtradamus.

Ironically enough that is exactly the sort of problem id was trying to squash with an open platform engine in tech5.
    Now the stacked irony about what I just said: Carmack said he regrets developing Rage for consoles and says he should have just made it for the PC.

Meanwhile, does Lynxtradamus believe the save mechanics, marginal plot, and gameplay issues in Rage are the fault of id or Bethesda?
    edited October 2011
    Plot is on both of them - ID has never really told a solid story (space marine lost on a planet KILL EVERYTHING) and Bethesda, in my opinion, is mediocre at stories in games.

Save Mechanics, they both dropped the ball. That's just bad.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:

When will AMD release bulldozer?? :respect:
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Plot is on both of them - ID has never really told a solid story (space marine lost on a planet KILL EVERYTHING) and Bethesda, in my opinion, is mediocre at stories in games.

See, that's the problem here.
    We all know that ID doesn't do storytelling. It's not their thing. And that's just fine. Show of hands, people who didn't have fun playing Doom/Quake/etc? Exactly. A story is not required to have fun.
    Until a company known for not telling stories, tries to build a game that requires a coherent story. THEN it becomes a problem.

Ever since Daikatana, ID just seems to be missing the mark every time. They really need to get back to their roots. Or hire some real writers.
    edited October 2011
    When will AMD release bulldozer?? :respect:

Don't push your luck :P

But just know, if I were the type to say such things, I'd now have three correct predictions under my belt.
    edited October 2011
    RootWyrm wrote:
    See, that's the problem here.
    We all know that ID doesn't do storytelling. It's not their thing. And that's just fine. Show of hands, people who didn't have fun playing Doom/Quake/etc? Exactly. A story is not required to have fun.
    Until a company known for not telling stories, tries to build a game that requires a coherent story. THEN it becomes a problem.

Ever since Daikatana, ID just seems to be missing the mark every time. They really need to get back to their roots. Or hire some real writers.

And that's a big problem with their new games. They're not fun. FPS and gaming have grown up. Gamers expect more. Simple action romps don't really do it for people anymore (see DNF). ID hasn't been able to adapt.
  • edited October 2011
    got the game today... and gues what? its a broken mess on PC... 5 sec freezes after every5 sec... and i got a rig that aces crysis 2 with dx11 patch and ultra textures... this game is shit load of crap
    edited October 2011
    So I'm getting a ton of mixed reviews on this. I know a lot of people who have the game, have no problems, and love it.
    I guess it's a love it / hate it deal. I'll give it a shot when it is under $20 next year on steam and come back to this thread to let you all know my opinion.
    edited October 2011
    This is the most appropriately named game ever.
  • edited October 2011
    Great call on the article. Kudos for that. As far as whether RAGE is okay or not? Its a short linear shooter port from a developer known for linear shooters. If you are lucky enough to not have major technical problems and like that sort of game... Then you'll have fun. If not?
  • edited October 2011
    When i look at Rage on Youtube i really feal like skpipping this title and i will.

Why engineer Rage when you can do a new Quake Arena. It was one of their greatest titles.

Does id really think people are interested in their webbrowser based quake3arena?

Let them have a look at Bioshock 1, 2 and the to be released bioshock infinite; should they be interested in learning something about eyecandy, groundbreaking level design and the roleplaying element.

Better luck next time - rage is a fail - i hope they lose money on it.
  • edited October 2011
    This article could have been written yesterday. Good call on the future, your precience is astounding. RAGE is the biggest waste of 60.00 this year (besides Alice). Last year it was Bioshock2, Crysis2, Aliens vs Predator. This will spark an increase in piracy for sure.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    And that's a big problem with their new games. They're not fun. FPS and gaming have grown up. Gamers expect more. Simple action romps don't really do it for people anymore (see DNF). ID hasn't been able to adapt.

That's not entirely true. If you look at a lot of the FPSes out there today, let's be honest, people were playing TF2 before hats and after hats. They were still paying for it. And really, it is a simple action romp that more or less stayed true to a design 11 years old. I'm given to believe that Gears of War is more or less an action romp - a painfully linear one at that.
    The issue has simply been: Id hasn't been making fun games. What made Id's action romps fun was the fact that they weren't linear and they were inventive. This whole obsession with linearity (go here here and then here and that's it) and making it 'easier' is obnoxious to me. There's no chance to explore the world, no real risk. You're stuck on rails with training wheels - die? Just resume from the last autosave with all your weapons intact.
  • edited October 2011
    Well, you've won yourself a fervent reader. Unbelievable. You predicted it would be shit one year prior to its release. You're a fucking genius !
    edited October 2011
    lol win
    edited October 2011
    If it looks like crap, and smells like crap, and it's still a year from release.... it's gonna be crap.
  • WTF
    edited October 2011
    I just beat the game...I must say I feel sort of robbed of time just like with Halo 3. Funny how the game has alll these high rating and "good" reviews when the entire game feels like a long grind with uninteresting quests. Whole game is easy too. Just use a shotgun through the whole game and you're done!
  • WTF
    edited October 2011
    Oh and btw is the main protagonist a mute?
  • edited October 2011
    You were right - it sux.
  • edited October 2011
    Rage is total rubbish! Worse, dare I say than Duke Nukem Forever! Save your money! or Better yet buy my copy!
  • edited October 2011
    Glad to see someone's looking at this objectively. In this poorly done f3 clone you can't see why id tech 5 is so great, or even solid engine. For me, Rage really really sucks. Kudos, Bobby! :)
  • edited October 2011
    I thought RAGE was a good game. The only thing they could've done better is fleshed out the storyline better with a longer (Borderlands length) game.

I don't think there's any need for all this back slapping, self-congratulating circle jerk. The author predicted that RAGE wouldn't be the game of the century. That's not a difficult prediction to make. ID has never made mind blowing games. Bubble-gum-addictive games, yes. In depth games? Never.

Perhaps people were expecting more out of this game since Bethesda was involved, but apparently the only way Bethesda was involved is ripping off the Fallout vault storyline.

Still, this game was a thoroughly fun experience for me. Only thing I want is more length out of it. I was pissed off when I realized the game was over before the storyline was half fleshed out. It felt like the episodes in the HL2 series rather than a game in itself.
    edited October 2011
    ID has never made mind blowing games. Bubble-gum-addictive games, yes. In depth games? Never.

I am going to disagree with this, and I'm fairly confident the articles author will feel similar.

id invented the FPS genre (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom), and they basically did it with chewing gum and duct tape for resources back then. Seriously, they did that in DOS. id made a brilliant real time action game that constantly moved and changed perspective, when most AAA developers with more money and resources than id could dream of were putting out point and click adventure games with static 2D graphics. id pushed boundary's so hard, people started to wonder what they could do with real hardware and software development tools, id pushed computing forward, it was that big a deal. id software encouraged the investment necessary to propel PC gaming forward.

id popularized shareware as a concept. Like getting a free demo? Thank id.

id may not have released the first multi-player games to play over lan and modem, but they made the games that would ultimately made it desirable for a wider audience. Online gaming as you know it may have never gotten to where it is without id's influence.

Quake II is the single most important milestone in the history of PC gaming. I'm not saying its still the best game, but nothing, absolutely nothing came close to it in 1997. Every single first person action game today borrows something from Quake II.

Quake III was the most popular and well loved multi-player game, just about everyone played Quake III and enjoyed it for its innovative and addictive fragging. Multi-player shooters as you know them all evolved from Quake III.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the first game that recognized the need to really separate how the single player and team based multi-player portions of the game were developed. Splitting development was brilliant for this title, and many studios continue to employ this methodology to ensure that both portions are realized to their fullest potential extending value for all of us. Enjoy having a fulfilling campaign mode, along with great team based multi player options to extend the value of the package? Thank id.

Then Doom 3, which was a good game on many accounts, but Half Life 2 came out around the same time and set the new gold standard for the genre, and id has been chasing it ever since.

If you really understand the history of PC gaming, you know how important id is, and why PC gamers have such amazingly high expectations for them. We want for them to succeed in blowing our minds. It's unreasonable to expect each time, we know this, but it's what we hope for whenever Carmack introduces his next project. Releasing a good game may be good enough for a developer like Epic, Infinity Ward or GearBox, but for id, we expect the next big thing, and that's why we feel a bit let down.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I was totally with you until you claimed Doom 3 was a good game.
    edited October 2011
    I think Quake single-handedly made 3D gaming an issue. I agree; id was a very big deal.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I was totally with you until you claimed Doom 3 was a good game.

I meant, like, ho hum, kinda sorta okay, passable. It certainly was not great, definitely not their finest hour as a developer. It was disappointing.