New Gaming Router or overclock?

edited January 2011 in Hardware
I have a question for the network wizards on this forum :) I emailed Thrax, but I'd like everyone's opinion.

I'm trying to determine if I can benefit from a new router for my gaming needs, or if my WRT54G is sufficient enough. I have a laptop I use around my apartment so I do need decent wireless capabilities, but I primarily use my internet connection to play PS3 games online in which I play somewhat competitively. I hard-wire this connection for obvious reasons.

This router works great most of the time, but there are still random times when it doesn't. It could be the gaming host, the game servers, etc., but I was curious if buying a new gaming router (a friend suggested the Linksys E3000) was worth it. I read a thread here on overclocking on this router and that seems like a potential alternative. Currently on my WRT54G I have setup a DMZ IP, upgraded firmware, turned off the built-in firewall, and used port forwarding. Just about everything I can do (to my knowledge) to maximize my router's gaming capabilites.

I know that the best internet connection a router can provide is based on your max internet connection from your ISP. I have a great Comcast internet package and when I run my connection tests on my PS3 I get around 12-17 kbps d/l and 1.5-2.5 kbps u/l. Am I pretty much maxed out as it is without moving up in my internet package from comcast or can I still tweak my network on my own to enhance my experience?

Any information would be great, I truly appreciate it.

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    kbps?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Restore all settings to default, setup your wireless again with WPA2 and a strong key, hardwire your PS3, and just forward the stuff the PS3 needs. It doesn't need to be in a DMZ. What do you mean by "random times" it doesnt? Do you have specific examples? Could it be the game hosting on other boxes?
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I know my WRT54G lags my brother's xbox 360 when I'm downloading stuff from the internet or moving large files over the LAN, but then again, we only have 1.5Mbps DSL.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I know my WRT54G lags my brother's xbox 360 when I'm downloading stuff from the internet or moving large files over the LAN, but then again, we only have 1.5Mbps DSL.

Check the model number and upgrade the firmware to Tomato or DD-WRT. It won't lag any more.
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Check the model number and upgrade the firmware to Tomato or DD-WRT. It won't lag any more.
    +1
  • edited January 2011
    _k_ wrote:
    kbps?

The package I have from Comcast peaks out at 12 down, 2 up (How can I have speeds faster than this?? Maybe I am maxed out? The next package is $10 more and is 20 down, 4 up). I go through a 1 to 3 splitter with the cable to my modem being on the least resistant connection on the splitter
    Tushon wrote:
    Restore all settings to default, setup your wireless again with WPA2 and a strong key, hardwire your PS3, and just forward the stuff the PS3 needs. It doesn't need to be in a DMZ. What do you mean by "random times" it doesnt? Do you have specific examples? Could it be the game hosting on other boxes?

When I say random ther are some days where the "lag" will be bad, some days when it's mild (but mild is still lagand irritates us gamers to no end...might as well be horrible lag lol), and others when it's just perfect. i play the same few games at pretty much the same hours of the day almost everyday so there shouldn't be much variation I wouldn't think. It could be the hosting player's connection or the game's servers themselves which I cannot help of course, but I am always trying to maximize my connection to rule out any lag being an issue on my end.

Why doesn't it need to be in a DMZ? Doesn't DMZ negate having to port-forward?
  • edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:

This won't help my situation at all, will it?
    edited January 2011
    It depends on your problem, which is hard to isolate, but it defintely could help and won't hurt. The DMZ does negate portforwarding, but I don't know if that is safe ... :/
  • edited January 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    It depends on your problem, which is hard to isolate, but it defintely could help and won't hurt. The DMZ does negate portforwarding, but I don't know if that is safe ... :/

Yeah, when I setup DMZ originally I knew that this function, along with turning off my modem's internal firewall, would essentially open me up security-wise, but I read that a slong as you have sufficient security on your PC you should be fine; and the PS3 is virtually un-hackable.
    edited January 2011
    If you DMZed the PlayStation 3's internal IP, it's no big deal. There's nothing there to hack.
  • edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    If you DMZed the PlayStation 3's internal IP, it's no big deal. There's nothing there to hack.

Yeah I made my PC and PS3 very diff static IP addresses since they seemed to interfere with each other randomly if I didn't. I setup my DMZ with the PS3 IP
  • edited January 2011
    btw, I'm at work right now so I will have to wait to do the things you guys mentioned, but it sounds like I can configure my current router in such a way that a new gaming router is not necessary.
    edited January 2011
    I'll give you a tip that might save some money down the road: "Gaming routers" are a scam. There's nothing you can do with one of those that you can't do with a normal router.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't care if it's a gaming router as much as I do a "higher end" router, but I do appreciate the tip. Is the only difference that higher end routers are already setup to be that way while reguilar routers require lots of techy changes to meet the same bill? I don't need a fancy router with a USB, seperate guest access login, 20 different access points, etc. All I want is a smooth, solid, lag-free connection; efficiency if you will. Which is a lot to ask I guess, but as I said, I only use it for gaming really. I use my laptop a lot, but it's for general purposes (ms office, internet, youtube, facebook, etc)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2011
    If you can upgrade the firmware on the router then I'd suggest tomato over DD-WRT but between the two it comes down to personal preferences. Either of those will increase the stability of the router dramatically as well as add/unlock extra features.

Unless your router is in some way damaged changing it won't make things better. Your bandwidth and connection in general from your ISP is going to be the bottleneck. Your router can handle much more bandwidth then what your ISP is giving you. In fact if you are looking at a possible hardware culprit your modem is far more likely to fail then that router.

Now with that out of the way if you can upgrade to Tomato or DD-WRT firmwares there are some settings you can tweak to possibly help speed things up.
    edited January 2011
    When you say "upgraded firmware" what does that mean? Are you using the newest Linksys firmware? If so, their firmware is quite simply bad.

Depending on the serial number of your router (post it for me!), we can potentially upgrade you to custom, third-party firmware that dramatically improves the range, performance and reliability of the WRT54G. You will not have lag problems any more.
  • edited January 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    If you can upgrade the firmware on the router then I'd suggest tomato over DD-WRT but between the two it comes down to personal preferences. Either of those will increase the stability of the router dramatically as well as add/unlock extra features.

Unless your router is in some way damaged changing it won't make things better. Your bandwidth and connection in general from your ISP is going to be the bottleneck. Your router can handle much more bandwidth then what your ISP is giving you. In fact if you are looking at a possible hardware culprit your modem is far more likely to fail then that router.

Now with that out of the way if you can upgrade to Tomato or DD-WRT firmwares there are some settings you can tweak to possibly help speed things up.

I'm a layman...explain how this firmware makes my router more stable or efficient? Which features should I be interested in? If I'm reporting speeds around or above the so-called peak speeds of my ISP, then woudln't my issue pretty much be my internet service? It almost looks as if my router is doing more than it's job in terms of speed, but lag/latency is another issue.
    edited January 2011
    Firmware is your router's operating system. A shitty operating system makes for a shitty computer, and so it goes with routers.

There are many points along your network that can be used to explain your lag. Maybe it's your firmware (upgrading will fix that). Maybe it's your PC or modem (we can assess those, too). The point is, let's start ruling out culprits, and the firmware is a good place to start. Linksys firmware is known to be bad.
  • edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    When you say "upgraded firmware" what does that mean? Are you using the newest Linksys firmware? If so, their firmware is quite simply bad.

Depending on the serial number of your router (post it for me!), we can potentially upgrade you to custom, third-party firmware that dramatically improves the range, performance and reliability of the WRT54G. You will not have lag problems any more.

I go into my router's settings once every month or so and upgrade the firmware as I have been told that's a good way to possibly enhance my connection. It appears that this is not the case though, haha. I would love more efficient firmware. That not only helps me not spend $150 on a router, but I was also debating going up a package from my ISP.
  • edited January 2011
    I understand it's best to rule out the most obvious cuplrits and work from there. I'll get you the serial # as soon as I get home. If and when we can get my connection in tip-top shape, will I see an increase in my connection speed(s), or solely in terms of latency

P.S. I'll stop quoting, apparently this forum doesn't use it :)
    edited January 2011
    This forum uses quotes. :)
    Sometimes I'm just lazy and/or forget to use them.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:

This oh my gosh. If you have a router that will support Tomato change to it. Everything that can do it runs Tomato in my house and if it can not then DD-WRT, but I wish it all could run Tomato. Specifically the WRT54G almost always runs better and longer with Tomato loaded on it instead of the default firmware.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm assuming Tomato is how you overclock
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    No, Tomato is just another firmware for your router. Think of it like upgrading your router from windows 3.1 to windows 7.
  • edited January 2011
    Well right, but in upgrading it provides that capability? OR does the factory default firmware allow you to do that too?
    edited January 2011
    Tomato is a more stable firmware. It is better able to handle many simultaneous connections (BitTorrent, online gaming). It makes the router more responsive under heavy downloading.

It extends the range by increasing the power of the WiFi transmitter in your router.

I think this answers your questions.
  • edited January 2011
    Router Info:

Linksys WRT54G ver. 6, 2.4GHz, 54Mbps, with 4-port switch
    S/N: CDFD1G1O8971
    MAC: 0018F8C36FF9
  • edited January 2011
    Looking at a list of Tomato-supported routers (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) and it appears that only versions 1-4 are supported. Maybe I have to get DD-WRT instead?
    edited January 2011
    Yes, you will have to go with DD-WRT. It's not quite as friendly as tomato is, in my opinion, but it's still very good firmware. Definitely worth the upgrade!
  • edited January 2011
    I went to http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database and selected my router, but there's five files available. I'm guessing I run the killer program to wipe the current firmware out, then the prep file. What are the other files for? I want to make sure I do this correctly...