New Gaming Router or overclock?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0

From the model page, follow those instructions exactly.
  • edited January 2011
    im trying to do the following step:

"After you have done this, if you haven't been asked to change your password when you login to the webgui,(presuming you are doing a hard reset on a dd-wrt build newer than 9707, June 14, 2008, when the auto reconfig password was introduced) you haven't done the hard reset properly."

but i dont know what the "webgui" is
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    WebGUI is the router's web-based interface.
  • edited January 2011
    thats what i was assuming, but i just wanted to make sure. for some reason i cannot get the hard reset to work. i've done it multiple times with the 30-30-30 process and when i type 192.168.1.1 i get a page that says "Management Mode Firmware Upgrade" and the instructions clearly say that i should be asked to change my password. my laptop still identified my router under the name i've made for it "Section D" so it looks like the hard reset has indeed failed. this seems pretty easy so im not sure why its not working. any help asap would be great, lol. im hoping to have this done by the end of the football game since i have online gaming to do :)
  • edited January 2011
    i powercycled after the hard cycle and then got into my webgui without entering any username or pw information. does this mean the hard cycle worked? the name of my router has now changed back to WRT54G...
  • edited January 2011
    Ok I figured it out...just had to clear my cache. I got dd-wrt setup, but the internet isn't working wirelessly through the router. I changed my username and pw as the webgui suggests, but whenever I click on a link it asks for my username and pw and it's not registering at all. The only way I can get on here is connect directly to my modem. Need some help :)
  • edited January 2011
    ugh. still no luck on the user/pw part. i highly doubt i typed it in wrong, but that may be the case. am i going to have to redo the whole thing now or am i just screwed? hopefully not the latter!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Just hard reset the router to restore the default user/pass (I believe it's USER: root/PASS: admin on DD-WRT). It's the little button on the back of the router; hold it down for 30+ seconds.
  • edited January 2011
    ok, did the hard reset and now the user/pw works. and i powercycled both my modem and router and now the wireless is indeed working through the router. ok, i'm glad that's done. now onto the good stuff...

what's the best way to secure the network?
    how can i use this software to maximize my connection like you guys were saying before?
    edited January 2011
    The connection maximizing is already taken care of by default. Ditto for extending the range. :)

Best way to secure the router is to set up WPA2 Personal with AES encryption. It should be one of the basic security options (though I couldn't tell you what menu that's in). When you set up the password for this, make it a complete sentence like "I love Icrontic dot com." Using a sentence is the most amount of protection you can offer a password.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't need to change the channel (currently 6), overclock (currently 200 MHz), NAT/Qos, DMZ, port forwarding, etc? I guess this software already comes with maximized settings for my particular router/setup? I thought once I installed dd-wrt it would allow me to tinker with settings in order to maximize connection, but perhaps not. As I said originally, I just want to eliminate any and all lag/latency issues for when I am playing my ps3 online. I ran speed tests on my cpu and ps3 and it looks pretty much the same as before, but I guess it's more stable than before?

Sorry to sound like a noob, just trying to understand everything since this is all new to me. One reason I setup a DMZ, etc. before is so that when my ps3 AND my pc is using the internet, I want the ps3 to take priority in packet transmittal.

EDIT: I am once again running my ps3 wired and my pc wirelessly through the router. Before I had static IP's for both (pc= 192.168.1.50, ps3=192.168.1.200) so that they wouldn't interfere with each other when running simultaneously....can I still do this or does it matter?
    edited January 2011
    DMZ doesn't alter priority. QoS should be able to help that; port forwarding the PS3 ports may help as well. The speed tests results would only matter while you are playing a game, precisely when you cannot run a speed test (from the PS3). You will never be able to eliminate any and all latency issues until we are all plugged into the backbone of the internet and all have a UPS on our PS3 and router. You can setup static IPs again for PS3 to use QoS, but it won't matter if you setup the computer with one also.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2011
    Just a point of clarity. Over clocking your router won't make it faster, it'll only boost your range, it can cause your router to burn out quicker. So unless you need to boost the range of your signal overclocking it is pointless at best and detrimental at worst.

Your router's network connection is already faster then your internet connection.
    edited January 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    Just a point of clarity. Over clocking your router won't make it faster, it'll only boost your range, it can cause your router to burn out quicker. So unless you need to boost the range of your signal overclocking it is pointless at best and detrimental at worst.

Your router's network connection is already faster then your internet connection.
    I think he was referring to the actual processor in the router, which could increase speed (if the proc was a limiting factor already, which it probably isn't)
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah i don't need an increase of range, just a more solid, stable connection. I've read places where changing the channel and other little tweaks like that can optimize the router's performance, but perhaps i've maxed out as it is. How is it even possible that I am recording speeds faster than my internet package allows?
    edited January 2011
    Cable internet connections can go above their rated speeds when your ISP is relatively uncongested.
  • edited January 2011
    Interesting. I always assumed they put a strict cap on each account's bandwidth depending on their service.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Changing the channel can help your connection if there are many other routers on the same channel in close proximity. I'd only do it in that case, though.
  • edited January 2011
    I have no idea if that is the case. My laptop detects 5 or 6 wireless networks in the area.
    edited January 2011
    In my experience, the WRT54GL (two of them) have lagged profusely on any channel but the default with Tomato. Very strange, but no big deal.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I have a WRT54GL as well, running DD-WRT instead of Tomato, I have not had any noticeable lag issues while running on a non-default channel.
  • edited January 2011
    after a week or more of running with the dd-wrt firmware i've noticed that if i'm running "too much" on my internet (through my laptop) then my router basically stops working. my pc can't recognize the router anymore or if it does, the internet portion of it simply stops working. i then power cycle my router and in about 30 seconds my internet stats working fine again. why is this happening? i thought my wireless signal was supposed to be stronger and more stable? with my previous stock firmware i never had this problem. sure, if i was running "too much" my internet would go slow, but i've never had to power-cycle the router before. now i have to do it multiple times per day. it can be as little as running facebook and windows media player at the same time that can cause this which is ridiculous. is there a setting on dd-wrt that corrects this??

please let me know, i would really appreciate it!
    edited January 2011
    Most likely, your router is running out of memory. The later model WRT 54G routers (with the exception of the GL model) were extremely memory limited. If you have too many open connections it can cause the router to run out of memory (it has to keep track of each open connection for firewall purposes) causing it to lock up/crash. I would recommend making sure you're running the DD-WRT "mini" firmware which has fewer features but runs on less memory. Also, you may want to schedule a reboot every night for a time when you're not online (you can do that in the administration page). P2P programs, especially BitTorrent is very connection hungry and can run a lower end router out of memory in a flash, make sure you limit the number of connections in any BitTorrent clients you are running (I would recommend no more than 75 connections allowed for a later model WRT54G). If you're still having problems after that, especially if you're having problems when you don't have many connections open, then your hardware may be dying. No software can compensate for faulty hardware.
    edited January 2011
    I also highly recommend looking at how to decrease the following parameters in the router settings:

Maximum Connections: 2048 (half default)

TCP Timeouts
    Established: 1200
    SYN Sent: 120
    SYN Received: 60
    FIN Wait: 120
    Time Wait: 60
    Close : 10
    Close Wait: 60
    Last ACK: 30

This will reduce how many concurrent connections your router is trying to track, and also frees up "dead" connections from other peers on BitTorrent that do nothing but bog your router down. This should solve the reboot issues.
  • edited January 2011
    how do i know if i'm running a "mini" version of dd-wrt? thanks for the info and i'll try that, but just so you know i'm not even running any torrent programs when this happens. as i said before, it usually dies when i'm trying to run a facebook app with windows media player at the same time, no ps3 or torrent programs open whatsoever. that's why it's so strange.

oh and my laptop is 15 ft from my router and my signal is 55% (was 85-90% when i first installed dd-wrt)...very weird.
    edited January 2011
    It's the version you should have downloaded to flash your router with. You might be able to see if it's the mini version on an "about" page in the router.
    edited January 2011
    For instructions on changing the various TCP timeouts (as Thrax mentioned, can't believe I forgot about that, I remember tweaking with those on my old GS back in college to get it stable), see this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown#Increasing_Max_Connection_count_beyond_limits_of_GUI
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I'll give you a tip that might save some money down the road: "Gaming routers" are a scam. There's nothing you can do with one of those that you can't do with a normal router.

i have a dir 655 and it is by far the best router i have ever used period.

after some tweaking and/or upgrading/flashing to different firmwares and configuring again, i have the best speed, range and can game just fine.
  • edited January 2011
    Ok so I'm checking my router info and cannot find an "about" page, but this is my Firmware Version: "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro - build 12548M NEWD Eko"

@Thrax: Where do I edit those "TCP Timeouts" at? I keep looking in every section of my router info and cannot find it.

Also, when playing online my NAT Type used to be "open" or NAT 2 which was supposedly good, now it's labeled as "moderate" which has created some headaches online.

Some random inquiries while browsing my router info that may be an issue?...

1. If i have a perfectly good firewall on my laptop, can i disable the SPI firewall on the router? Would that negate an unnecessary hurdle?
    2. My used memory is currently 93% (5284 kB / 5688 kB) and all I'm running is Firefox (no facebook, youtube, streaming videos, torrent programs, etc)
    3. Wireless Packet Info: Received (RX) 100%; 30111 OK, no error Transmitted (TX) 100%; 40918 OK, 16 errors

There's a ton more information obviously, but what should I be looking for? Is there certain performance information that is more important than others in determining where my router may be bogging down my connection?
    edited January 2011
    1. I don't know where those settings are stored in DD-WRT. Perhaps someone running it could chime in.

2. You should uninstall the firewall on your laptop and let the router do the work.

3. The memory usage is high, but not abnormal for this class of router. It's just a matter of getting it stable. We'll get there. :)