Overlay Ad

MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
edited February 2011 in Community
Not sure if this is something you guys are aware of or not. Image attached.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Kodak attack! Hells jah
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Yes, we're aware. There are ads. Just click close, then carry on.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I bought 4.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Yes, we're aware. There are ads. Just click close, then carry on.

Just making sure this was intended. Though I am disappointed...
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Disappointed by what? I'm cool with my favorite websites making a little money. Yeah, its a pop up, but it has a clear X in the corner if you want to get out of it. Heck, maybe you could even do something cool for Icrontic and click the link, see what the advertiser has to offer? Like it would kill ya.
    edited February 2011
    Disappointed by what? I'm cool with my favorite websites making a little money. Yeah, its a pop up, but it has a clear X in the corner if you want to get out of it. Heck, maybe you could even do something cool for Icrontic and click the link, see what the advertiser has to offer? Like it would kill ya.

I have zero problem with unobtrusive ads. I consider that obtrusive. I've clicked a few ads here at IC, but I have never (on principle) clicked a pop-up/layover ad.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I was going to post something to this effect earlier, but didn't because I didn't want to be perceived as a jerk.... but now that Cliff has chimed in with his comment...

I don't have a problem with ads. I don't have a problem with people trying to monetize their site. That's great, prime and Linc should get paid for what they do, if ads help with that then so be it.

That said, ads that break the site (and as far as I'm concerned, screenjack ads break the site) are ridiculous and I make it a point NOT to click them on principle even if it's something I may be interested in. Why do screenjack ads break the site (IMHO)? Well... simply because I didn't come here to see an ad. I came here to see content. If there's an ad off to the side that's pertinent and interesting, I'll click it. The minute an ad says "HEY, I KNOW YOU'RE HERE FOR CONTENT BUT LOOK AT ME INSTEAD I'M MORE IMPORTANT" I lose all interest in giving said ad any consideration. Sadly, more and more sites (or perhaps it's just the ad providers) have been opting for this type of advertising. It makes me sad and makes me less likely to click the ads or visit the site for that matter. There have been a number of cases where I've seen screenjack ads and have simply left the site immediately out of sheer annoyance. I probably won't do that for Icrontic (since I'm already hooked) but it has happened and I think site owners really need to ask themselves if the risk of driving their audience away with these ads really outweighs the handful of extra clicks (probably accidental ones) they may get with these ads. I don't think it is, but then again I don't run a highly trafficked site.
    edited February 2011
    How is the pop up or "screenjack" any different than waiting twenty seconds to sit through a commercial before an internet video begins?

I just don't find it all that obtrusive. Its advertising, its how content gets paid for. I'll click on a pop up or two for Icrontic.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    If anyone is really looking for an ad-free Icrontic, can't they just subscribe?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Yes, Winfrey, they can.
    edited February 2011
    Winfrey wrote:
    If anyone is really looking for an ad-free Icrontic, can't they just subscribe?

Just to be clear, I never said I wanted an ad-free Icrontic (without paying anyway). I just expressed my distaste with screenjacks specifically.

@Cliff - because prerolls don't pop up over top of your content to try and trick you into clicking them. Perhaps it's only a semantic difference, but it's one that matters to me. I would think that you wouldn't have a problem with semantic arguments Mr. "grumble grumble mail in rebates are a scam"
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I'm not going to pretend to like obtrusive ads just because my homies own the site.

I might subscribe or buy more swag or something, but I know there are other tech sites I've stopped going to that do annoying stuff, so I'm concerned things like this might keep other people away.
    edited February 2011
    As I hit reply to that message that add came up. Took half a second to hit the X in the upper right hand corner. As far as pop ups go, folks, it ain't that big a deal.

I suppose I just have a different view of things. I understand that content costs money to produce and understand that advertisers want to get what they are paying for. I agree that certain pop ups are very obtrusive, this one from Best Buy, it is not so bad.

And a rebate claim, now that is obtrusive, cut this, photocopy this, go to that website, mail this, and if your lucky you won't have to fight us for the $30 we owe you.... I think anyone would agree thats a bit worse than dealing with a pop up on the internet.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Personally, ads before youtube vids are getting to me - especially when the content itself is 47 seconds, and the ad is 30. There's gotta be a line there.

Ads are fine, and it's what it takes to keep things going.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I've only seen it once, so meh. I'd subscribe, but every dollar counts for me right now. As soon as new jorb takes off, subscriptions for everyone on me!!!!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I saw that yesterday, on principle I don't like ads, but the unobtrusive ones are fine (so long as they don't have sound). I guess I'm fine with the kind of ad I saw yesterday, since it has a clearly marked X, and no time limit. I'm more angry at the ads I have to watch before videos, and video ads that prevent me from looking at my sites. They slow my video/web browsing to a point where it feels like I'm back on dial-up.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I generally ignore ads, but I have noticed this popup one. Didn't bother me much.

On the off chance that I take the time to notice ads in general, it's apparent that Icrontic has a MUCH lower ad density than most sites these days.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Rabble!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!! RABBLE RABBLE! These threads always bother me when they come up.

If it makes my friends life easier, if it helps justify the INSANE amount of effort and time they put into this site and community over the years, If it helps move this community and site forward, I'm all for it.

We all hate ads, that's easily agreed upon. We all <3 Icrontic. They could easily be pasting this site with ads, but they don't because they don't like them as much as we don't. They are also realists and not insane, so if they can help pay for the site with ads and not put themselves in the poorhouse, they will. I think it's a well done balance. Hit X, move on, quit yer bitchin.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    You just *love* to rouse the rabble, don't you?
  • pseudonympseudonym
    goes all Mubarak on this joint.

Just clicked on it! Muahahaha!
    Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    goes all Mubarak on this joint.

Just clicked on it! Muahahaha!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I get them all the time. I do this and click X.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3FF2XvYenc0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited February 2011
    I can see I'm in a very small segment of the people who this bothers, but I consider ads like that (and the other Best Buy Ad that hijacks the bottom of my screen with animation) worse than pop-ups, at least I can forcibly block those from happening. I have no problem with Icrontic making money, and I'd consider subscribing if it were a little less expensive ($90/yr is more than I pay for my car tags and registration).

I understand the nature of making money on the web. I know it's not all kittens and puppies. I just dislike anything that interrupts my browsing experience and forces me to deal with it. Video ads? Close the video, screw that. Pop-ups? Haha, no. Overlays? Yeah...not ok.

The fact remains that I've seen that overlay ad no less than 5 times since I posted this. Seems excessive.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    You're not alone. If I have to do anything to get rid of it it's intrusive and therefore aggravating to no end. If I have to go looking for a close button, then track my mouse to it, and click it, then it's too much. It's not much, but disrupts my thought processes to go kill it (what little of that there is). I have to take advantage of a thought stream when it happens, I can't afford to waste one off hunting a close button. To few to waste anymore.
    edited February 2011
    Also, anyone else having problems not being able to close random bottom banner pop-over ad? As much as I click the 'x' it won't go away, rendering the bottom of the site unusable when it decides to show up (which seems to be more and more often of late). This is in Chrome on Linux.
    edited February 2011
    I'm using Chromium and I'm ok. Not Chrome though...can't imagine any direct complications.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I've lowered the subscription to $20 for 1 year.

Anyone who had a current subscription (at the higher price) has had it extended an additional year.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Lincoln wrote:

This is relevant to my interests.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I'm not going to chime in my opinion on the ads, but just offer some possible insight.

I think the reason why so many people are sensitive about seeing an ad like this on Icrontic is that in previous times, when Netshelter threw up full screen ads, moving ads, and noise making ads under the radar, they were reported to the higher ups by the community and subsequently removed.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    They're extra annoying on my incredible because the "x" is so small it's nigh impossible to hit without accidentally following the ad.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I love when the ad pops up on this thread and blocks me from reading the QQ's...

SO THANK YOU AD!!!

:p