Overlay Ad

2»

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Stop pretending like you read the forums :P
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    This ad makes it impossible to view Icrontic on my cell phone (Samsung Epic.) The ad pops up and greys out the screen and when I scroll to try to get to the x to close it, the ad moves to a different position and I cannot see the x without trying to scroll over to it, which then in turn moves the ad again...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    We should indeed have a mobile version of the site with modified ads. Sorry Joe & shwaip, that sucks. :-/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    We have fixed the subscriber program. Don't like the ads? We have a solution for you! :D
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    While I appreciate the drop in price and will certainly weigh the positives and negatives, I feel like my discontent is not being understood.

I have no problem with ads. I think the large, large majority of ads on Icrontic are unobtrusive. They help support the site, so do the affiliate programs (which I do my best to remember to use).

The root of this problem is I believe these ads break the functionality of the site. Maybe I'd have less of a problem if I didn't see it half of the time I navigate to the forums in a fresh browser session. Maybe I'd be less inclined to complain if, as Lynx mentioned, you hadn't removed these ads previously.

The fact remains that I find these types of ads beyond distasteful and they cause me (as someone who has been coming here for a few years) to be disinclined to visit the site.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    The revenue difference between those Best Buy ads and "unobtrusive" ads is incredible.

Instead of removing them this time, we're providing a reasonable alternative.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I subscribed, but mostly because I have a bro-crush on Brian.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Dustin, I hear you, but man... It's just like... This site is expensive to run as it is, we want to grow it, and we need money to do that. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to run these ads, and on top of it, I don't personally feel they're THAT obtrusive.

We've given you an alternative, we've weighed the cost/benefit, we implement a plan... That's about it.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Not that this dead horse has not been beaten enough, but in defense of Icrontic, just go to Yahoo this morning and try and watch an Oscar coverage video. For twelve seconds of James Franco struggling to read the teleprompter, you have to endure a minute long add from Chrysler, each and every freaking time!! A minute long ad for twelve seconds of video coverage, Yahoo, FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

After seeing that, trust me, an overlay that is easily close-able in a second or less won't seem nearly as irritating.
    edited February 2011
    Not that this dead horse has not been beaten enough, but in defense of Icrontic, just go to Yahoo this morning and try and watch an Oscar coverage video. For twelve seconds of James Franco struggling to read the teleprompter, you have to endure a minute long add from Chrysler, each and every freaking time!! A minute long ad for twelve seconds of video coverage, Yahoo, FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

After seeing that, trust me, an overlay that is easily close-able in a second or less won't seem nearly as irritating.

[strike]False dilemma[/strike]

Ignoratio elenchi
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    It's not really a false dilemma because he's not posing the Yahoo! advertisements as the only alternative. You're looking for ignoratio elenchi or (though not a logical fallacy) rhetorical deflection.
    edited February 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    It's not really a false dilemma because he's not posing the Yahoo! advertisements as the only alternative. You're looking for ignoratio elenchi or (though not a logical fallacy) rhetorical deflection.

Thank you, I will correct myself (but leave the error in!)