The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Quad Exynos probably won't make it to North America. The Exynos 4412 still doesn't support LTE, and nobody wants to suck up the BOM cost of a separate baseband. There may not even be internal room to support it.

Expect any LTE carrier to use the Qualcomm S4. It's no slouch, but it absolutely will not be as fast as the 4412 by any metric.

TouchWiz was a foregone conclusion.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Definitely not enough to tempt an upgrade from the GNex. Decent, but only incremental update.
    Aye, I'm glad I already decided to wait for a Cortex-A15 phone. The GNex is still a better phone from a software perspective, and an equal contender in the hardware department if you don't play 3D games (I don't).
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    So now with the S3 not coming until "summer" and not all that super impressive anyways, I have to decide on getting the Nexus now or waiting a few weeks for the Evo 4G LTE One X HTC yada yada yada.
    Evo 4G LTE vs. Galaxy Nexus is the exactly the same debate as SGS3 vs. Galaxy Nexus: not really an upgrade if you don't play games.
    Yep, that's the way I'm leaning. Heading to the Sprint store tomorrow to check out the Nexus. I do like the idea of pure Android.
  • HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    I've had the Nexus (sprint) since release. I love the phone in every aspect.. but one. The automatic screen brightness setting is too dim for my liking in most daytime conditions. I have to manually set it higher, thus killing battery life.

I understand there are some extended batteries that fit within the same form factor... and also one that juts out a bit far, but provides a ton of capacity.

Looking into these options... because I like a bright screen... and would rather have to charge more often than stare at a dim screen.

The Nexus really is a sweet phone. I haven't played with the HTC/Samsung skins to compare to bare Android.. but ICS works well for me. Several "utility" apps I used to have with Gingerbread I no longer need (for example, settings from notification drop-down)

Oh... that reminds me... the one thing ICS did not have out was a nice Timer/Stopwatch built into the clock. I got an app called "StopWatch & Timer" that is simple, clean, and works well for that function.
    So after trying to send me a refurb three times without getting my GPS to work Sprint offered me a brand new Nexus S so I took it and I'm loving ICS.
    Quad Exynos probably won't make it to North America. [...] Expect any LTE carrier to use the Qualcomm S4.
    Confirmed. Every US carrier gets the SGS3 in June, and it's Qualcomm S4 for all of them. Much, much slower than the international Samsung SoC.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Just pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S3 for t-mobile. Might even get it overnighted to me at EPIC.
    Updated.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Thoughts on Galaxy Nexus for 350 vs S3 for 550? I'm not unsatisfied with my current phone but I see those sexy specs and experience reports from you guys and I'm jelly of Jelly. This is on AT&T (currently) and I'm totally comfortable with root/ROM-ing
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Depends on your carrier/requirements.

If it's Verizon and you care about custom stuff (CM9/10, etc), then GNex. If it's Verizon and you care about specs and don't mind TouchWiz, S3 (I have one, it's a mighty sexy and fast piece of hardware. Once it gets all unlocked and stuff, it will be amazing).

Not Verizon, then it's pretty open. The S3 has higher specs, but there's been more development for the GNex by nature of the fact that it's been out 1000% longer.
    If you don't play 3D games, the SGS3 and Galaxy Nexus provide essentially identical experiences. The Nexus wins out because it's easy as hell to hack, and will get any ROM for the foreseeable future faster than any other phone presently on the market.

However, the VZW Galaxy Nexus has scads of problems because it utilizes a shitty LTE baseband, LTE/CDMA handoff is a freakish never-should-have-existed and Verizon's LTE network is inherently unreliable because of its coexistence with CDMA.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Sounds like a GNexus then. I rarely play games on my phone as it is and none of those are 3D. Thank you both for the input.
  • I finally settled for the Galaxy Nexus... UNF, I love it. Still don't like not having sdcard to backup to... but otherwise it's a mind blowing phone.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

I finally settled for the Galaxy Nexus... UNF, I love it. Still don't like not having sdcard to backup to... but otherwise it's a mind blowing phone.

The lack of an SD card hasn't made a bit of difference to me. You can still back up your data easily with a USB cable.
  • I've had this discussion before on here. I plug my phone into a computer maybe once every few months. It's way easier and more foolproof to just have a backup app automatically do a backup to an SD card.
    Just a few days to the Galaxy Note 2 announcement. Anyone else excited? :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I am... but considering that T-Mo just "released" the 6 month old Galaxy Note this week (for a premium price), I doubt I will see the Note 2 for another 6 months (if ever) on T-Mo. But I AM excited to see it released.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Given the state of VZW and its retarded pricing changes, I'll be looking at getting an "older" phone when I upgrade to save money by buying at retail. When VZ says retail, do they mean I must buy from them directly or can I get it elsewhere and switch sims?
    You more or less cannot buy your own phone and bring it to Verizon. Ditto Sprint. That's the penalty for being on CDMA.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Retail means just not using your subsidy.

You can buy from a 3rd party just fine, it just MUST be a Verizon-branded phone.

If you're not using subsidies, take about a 3-6 month lag from release to purchase and pick up NIB on eBay for about half of the "retail" price.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2012

Shot of what the new iphone may look like. Im happy to see the damn high gloss back go away.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Just a few days to the Galaxy Note 2 announcement. Anyone else excited? :D

I'm not getting my hopes up for it be related to AT&T in any way.
    It'll be for AT&T, but it'll be a Snapdragon S4 with LTE rather than the 50% faster Exynos 4412 with HSPA+.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edit: Well since I'm going to be in an area with no LTE I may just get a world version.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

I've had this discussion before on here. I plug my phone into a computer maybe once every few months. It's way easier and more foolproof to just have a backup app automatically do a backup to an SD card.

Didn't wait long enough, @ardichoke: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/21/3257805/google-galaxy-nexus-superior-rumor
    Google has said they don't want MicroSD for Nexus devices. I doubt the information is accurate.
  • mertesn said:

ardichoke said:

I've had this discussion before on here. I plug my phone into a computer maybe once every few months. It's way easier and more foolproof to just have a backup app automatically do a backup to an SD card.

Didn't wait long enough, @ardichoke: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/21/3257805/google-galaxy-nexus-superior-rumor
    /me shrugs

Even if that is accurate, my N1 was 2.5 years old and showing its age badly. I needed a new phone. I don't regret pulling the trigger on the GNex one bit. As for the lack of SDCard, I'm not a fan, but I've solved the one big issue with that by using Titanium Backup and Titanium Media Sync to copy backups off device automatically. Those applications need a serious usability overhaul, but that's beside the point.