The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The time is approaching for me to be looking at new phones (and networks...) and I'd like some advice.

I have enjoyed using 4G LTE, but it is frustratingly unreliable - sudden disconnections, long lags when the service reconnects, and the verizon 3G here is incredibly slow.

So for the Iowa/Wisconsin area, (and all the rural between) is there a better network?

In addition to that, is there a phone that can last more than a few hours while browsing, checking stocks, streaming music, youtube, audio books, twitter, etc (no games) that will reliably have fast speeds? I'd also like to be able to use said phone internationally in a pinch. I would guess that I use somewhere between 2 and 4 GB of data in a month.

Can you make a plausible recommendation?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Sounds like a Galaxy Nexus
  • I would guess that I use somewhere between 2 and 4 GB of data in a month.

I can't offer advice on your area (So Cal, here) but based on all the things you said you'd like to do (browse, stocks, music, etc.), you're looking at 5+ GB of data if you're not on WiFi. I'm a frequent victim of AT&T throttling because of my data usage, and I pretty much just stream music and use GPS for my drive home. Make sure you don't exclude high data usage plans from your search.

Good luck!

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    http://opensignalmaps.com/ should tell you everything you need to know for provider coverage, which could be your problem.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    +rep @fatcat

I also think they're the best deal around (other than maybe StraightTalk). It's awesome that you can save money buying a phone up front, not have bandwidth caps, and not be under contract.

Edit: looks like T-Mobile signal is scarce in your area. Moving seems to be the only sensible answer.

Edit Edit: I think StraightTalk SIMs use AT&T towers. They've got better coverage than T-Mo, so that might be the way to go. $45/mo unlimited everything.

Edit Edit Edit: Confirmed, StraightTalk can send you a SIM compatible with either T-Mo or AT&T towers.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    I've also heard SimpleMobile tossed around as well

Buy the Galaxy Nexus and choose your GSM provider :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I am a very happy T-Mo subscriber; I recently drove back and forth through Wisconsin.... My coverage was crap throughout your entire state.

*Caveat: I did not go through Madison, I only skirted it. As I got further north, I roamed into a provider called "Bug Tussle". No Joke.
    edited September 2012
    My drive from Madison to Dubuque is a joke of coverage and does appear to be my problem.

Seems like another thing to motivate me here.

Edit: I might change to T-Mo / StraightTalk AT&T for pricing reasons. Wow those are cheap. Now if i can cover the $260 verizon contract closure...

EDIT EDIT: No US Cellular towers (shown) in this area on that map. They share with Verizon, right?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

EDIT EDIT: No US Cellular towers (shown) in this area on that map. They share with Verizon, right?

For 3G, yes. When they switch to LTE, it looks like they'll use GSM-based LTE (source)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    It sounds like a non-Verizon iPhone 5 would fit your criteria. Not that I expect you to commit such techy blasphemy. I'm personally interested in getting an unlocked one for T-Mobile when my contract runs out in June (I hear they will be available in October sometime).
    edited September 2012
    Can't use iPhone 5 on T-mobile (no way to get SIM into phone)

EDIT: nevermind, looks like T-Mobile is switching it's 3G from 1700 to 1900 and will get LTE in 2013 sometime. So yea, an unlocked iPhone would work

As an apple fanboy, I'm surprised an unlocked iPhone isn't against your moral compass Lincoln lol
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    fatcat said:

As an apple fanboy, I'm surprised an unlocked iPhone isn't against your moral compass Lincoln lol

Skipping past the flamebait, Apple has sold unlocked iPhones directly from its online store starting with 4.

Lincoln said:

fatcat said:

Skipping past the flamebait, Apple has sold unlocked iPhones directly from its online store starting with 4.
    was unaware of that. $549. ouch
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    When I lived in WI, AT&T was my carrier of necessity due to the available coverage. Good HSDPA speeds at the time, though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    All LTE is GSM-based, which is why it's such a shoddy and unreliable service when put next to a CDMA radio on Verizon. The two just weren't meant to coexist.

That said, if coverage is your concern, you should street clear of US Cellular and MetroPCS, no matter what the coverage maps tell you.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Thrax said:

That said, if coverage is your concern, you should street clear of US Cellular and MetroPCS, no matter what the coverage maps tell you.

The first phone I got was on US Cellular. The coverage was ATROCIOUS. Absolutely awful.
    In major metro areas, they're great. But if you're not in an urban center, GTFO.
    In Iowa, the provider with the most rural coverage is US Cellular. Odd. They also seem to have shoddy 3G.

I think the moving option seems to be the best choice.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    My brother has US Cellular in Iowa, and their phones are the only ones that have signal when we go visit with our Verizon and Sprint phones.

In Iowa, the provider with the most rural coverage is US Cellular. Odd. They also seem to have shoddy 3G.

I think the moving option seems to be the best choice.

Thrax said:

no matter what the coverage maps tell you

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Looking hard at the Note 2. I've read it's supposed to be out on AT&T the 21st of next month. Not sure what the differences are going to be between that international version you have listed and the US version. Unless that's an international version release and not a US version release...
    @midga: Allegedly Oct. 21 for AT&T.

Compare the performance delta between the US Galaxy S III and the int'l Galaxy S III to see how much slower the US Note 2 will be than the int'l version. The gap will be virtually identical.
    Then what's the disadvantage to getting the international version and using it instead? At least, I assume that can be done. I know I did it years ago with an old Razr 3.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    International version doesn't have LTE modems. If you're planning on using LTE, it could be a dealbreaker.
    Yeah, I did some reading around and was just about to edit my post XD

From what I've been reading, though, it looks like it's quite possible the 1.6GHz 4core Exynos will be in the LTE version as well. At least the "reputable source" has said the US carriers' versions will be "virtually identical to the international version." We'll see when it happens, I guess.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I know the 4-core Exynos is planned for LTE, but not quite sure where they're at with it yet. Was hoping we'd get that for the S3, but the Qualcomm S4 is pretty beefy as it stands, and LTE rules.
    @Thrax any news other than the generic "here's the same possible Samsung spec 'leak'" articles for the new Nexus phone?
    LTE does me almost no good here in Ass-End Texas, but when I /do/ make my way to civilized regions it'd be nice to have.
    Tushon said:

@Thrax any news other than the generic "here's the same possible Samsung spec 'leak'" articles for the new Nexus phone?

Nothing convincing on the next Nexii.