The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    I need some advice. I have the Iphone 3, should I trade it in to get the Iphone 4s or just buy the Iphone 5 when it comes out. Is it really worth it, or am I better off with the first option.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    By 4 I assume you mean 4s?
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    midga said:

By 4 I assume you mean 4s?

Yes.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    If you are sticking with apple, I'd probably wait and get the 5 ... but I never bought into that and with the whole proprietary connector change-a-roo that they did and all the other shenanigans Apple gets up to, I won't in the future either.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Personally, I think I'd wait for the 5 release and /then/ trade for a 4s. At least I /assume/ there will be a significant price drop when that happens...
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Spreadsheet needs some updating love :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    My next phone will be a Note 2 on T-Mobile. Can't wait to get my phablet on.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Strongly considering that for my next phone as well, especially if it's Exynos-based in the US as the next Nexus devices end up meh.
    5.5" screen, bitch better come with 1920x1080 resolution. Also, I assume using the pen is completely optional
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    MY next phone will be the Note 2. ;)
    Pen optional, 720p.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Wait... There's no way that's a capacitive stylus. Is that a pressure sensitive screen? I see that it's something called an S Pen, but I've never heard of that.

Edit: found this review of the original S Pen. I wish it was possible to get one for my device. I have a HAND stylus now, which is the best capacitive stylus I've ever been able to find, though pricey, yet still doesn't hold a candle to a traditional stylus. The S Pen seems a good compromise. I'm surprised this is the first I'm hearing of it.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Yes, for pen to be optional, and 720p density also, has to be pressure sensitive like the Excite's are.
    edited September 2012
    CB said:

Wait... There's no way that's a capacitive stylus. Is that a pressure sensitive screen? I see that it's something called an S Pen, but I've never heard of that.

The first Note used a Wacom digitizer, so I'm assuming it's still the same technology. S-Pen is branding BS.
    The pen is an extension of the digitizer layer embedded in the screen, as Garg said: like a very small Wacom tablet.
    any release date for the Note 2? Contract price?

Contract price will be $200+. Release in October.
    edited September 2012
    hmm, so my options next Monday come down to:

Stay on Sprint for $79.99/month:
    GS3 for $199
    iPhone 5 for $199
    Wait for G Note 2 for $200+

Leave Sprint:
    Get year old GNex (new, but year old specs) for $350 and find a no contract plan for $50-$60/month

Sprint LTE coverage sucks, but is expanding and I don't expect Verizon to buy them out. AT&T and Verizon are overpriced unless you have grandfather'd unlimited. T-Mobile isn't going to true LTE until sometime 2013 (reality 2014) and their future is the most iffy of the 4 carriers.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Stay with Sprint and get your GSIII from Amazon wireless. You'll save $50.
    edited September 2012
    fatcat said:

Sprint LTE coverage sucks, but is expanding and I don't expect Verizon to buy them out. AT&T and Verizon are overpriced unless you have grandfather'd unlimited. T-Mobile isn't going to true LTE until sometime 2013 (reality 2014) and their future is the most iffy of the 4 carriers.

T-Mobile's 42 Mbps HSPA+ is damn near what you'll get from LTE, anyway. And they're cheaper. To get good LTE coverage, you have to bend over to AT&T or Verizon and accept capped data and overage costs.

To me, people are crazy to go with AT&T or Verizon unless they can't get coverage from Sprint or T-Mobile. And then there's still StraightTalk for AT&T's towers but without the crazy $$$.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Or we're already Verizon customers with unlimited LTE.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If you travel all over the country often, Verizon is a better choice. I spent several days of my year this year without coverage at all because of T-Mobile's limited coverage. Major swaths of entire states: Missouri, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Wisconsin.. Verizon worked fine. T-Mo, no go.
    yea, even being in Michigan's third largest city (Warren) I didn't get coverage at old ICHQ with Sprint.

I would love to go no contract, and I think the GNex is a great phone "today". But 6 months from now? A year from now? I don't want to have to spend another $500 on the GNex2 in 6 months if I went contract-less even though not having a 2 year contract is very enticing.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    If you're planning on buying Nexus, it would be prudent to wait for a month or so. New ones are generally announced soon, and you'll at least know what you're looking at for the next few months down the road.
    Nexus phones are generally behind the curve vs. what will be released just a few months later in the spring. All the big hardware makers align with the Feb-May timeframe: GSM MWC, IFA Berlin and CTIA Wireless all fall in that timespan.

OTOH, their hardware platforms do stay relevant for longer because Nexus.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

If you travel all over the country often, Verizon is a better choice. I spent several days of my year this year without coverage at all because of T-Mobile's limited coverage. Major swaths of entire states: Missouri, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Wisconsin.. Verizon worked fine. T-Mo, no go.

I do not travel much, and will not be travelling for a while, but have a distinct sense from watching coverage map progress that Verizon will be who I go with when I get a real smartphone next year early to mid year. They now have LTE where I am and blanket the home area I am in with new towers or leased tower space. Sprint it putting in lots of towers now(last 3-6 months), but they are using 3G equipment on them.
  • I wish to proclaim the obvious. Android 4.1 > Android 4.0 - It's not even subtle, the performance and navigation improvements are huge on my Galaxy Nexus.
    ardichoke
    edited October 2012
    HTC One X+

1.7ghz quad core Tegra 3
    64GB Storage
    4.7" 1280x720 Gorilla Glass curved screen
    2100 mAh Battery
    I've decided I am going contract-less. Screw the two year crap.

So this leaves me to a phone. I've narrowed it down to 3.

Galaxy Nexus:
    Pro:
    $349.00
    AT&T and T-Mobile networks
    Vanilla Android
    Highest PPI
    Removeable battery
    Well developed community

Con:
    Year old tech
    5MP camera
    Non-removable SD card
    GNex 2 coming soon

Bottom Line: Gives me options on which network I want to be on. Gets the newest Android first. But, is a year old so the longevity is questionable.

Samsung Galaxy SIII International
    Pro:
    Quad-core CPU
    Removable battery
    Removable SD card
    4.8" screen
    Hack until your eyes bleed
    8MP camera

Con:
    $499.00
    AT&T only (for now)
    Blueish tint on whites
    1GB RAM

Bottom Line: 2nd Fastest smartphone around. Huge modding community. Good longevity but only on AT&T network until T-Mo switches frequency

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Pro:
    Quad-core CPU
    Removable battery ??
    Removable SD Card
    5.5" huge screen
    8MP camera
    S-Pen
    2GB RAM

Con:
    $699
    AT&T only (for now)
    S-Pen
    Does it fit in my pocket?
    Do I look stupid talking on a phablet?

Bottom Line: This is the SGS3 on steriods. 1.6ghz quad CPU is fast as hell. S-Pen pro/con is debatable, and the price of $699 is steep but you're basically getting a phone AND mini-tablet. Large modding community is still unknown.

So, which do I pick? Still debating while my current Sprint phone LOLs in my face ;)

(if I got any errors here please let me know)

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I would wait until the end of the year. Rumors have been flying about GNex 2 release soon.