The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I dunno if you tweaked something, but this morning I looked for examples I could test, and Canti had last reply on two threads and a "started by" on a third, and none were unflagged after reading the first.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Unfortunately, it happened again this morning, but with 2 threads that did NOT share a common last commenter.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    I didn't tweak anything, no. I couldn't fathom how that could be the bug (the logic for this doesn't involve the authors), so I've stayed in wait-and-see mode. :)
    10:20 pm or so Central European - I read the library thread and Steam Deals came off unread status.

• Not sure if this is an intended feature or a bug, but I've been noticing today that if I read a thread that only has an initial post, the next time people reply to that thread it shows as "all new" even though I've already viewed the first post.
  • Aaaand today, the site is showing that I have 1 new message in my inbox, even though I do not (and have not had a new message in my Inbox for months). It also doesn't go away after clicking it.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    ^^ This, sent a PM to Lincoln, the notify disappeared....
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Got that yesterday. It went away after I opened the first message in my box (there was nothing new in the message).

-Digi
    That was a spammer that got nuked.
    Reading the Comfy Trucker thread nuked everything above it that was unread from the Gaming Backlog of Shame category. Any chance parent categories can unmark read status for child categories?
    Reading shwaip's photo-a-week thread in Livin' the Icrontic Life DID clear new tags on posts made in Food & Drink and Style (both subfora of LtIL), but reading a Gaming thread didn't clear the new count on the post in the TF2 subforum...

I'm baffled.
    Was the photo-a-week the only unread discussion in its category, but the gaming thread wasn't?

My theory: Vanilla knows when you've read everything in a category. Maybe it's mis-applying that to child categories when you've finished the parent's content.
    edited August 2013
    I just read the photo a week thread and the "new" disappeared for the Watch thread.
    Prior to that I read the AOC monitor thread, then the L4D3 thread, then the Hogs of war thread. It was only after I read the Photo thread that the Watch thread "new" disappeared.
    1 more tidbit of info, I am staying with mom, so this is not my normal machine it is her computer. Browsing with Chrome Version 28.0.1500.95
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Similar thing happens to me at least on mobile but I can't pinpoint the pattern.
    edited August 2013
    I'm increasingly convinced my theory above is correct. It makes sense from a programmatic point of view too.

I clicked "Mark All Viewed" earlier to start poking around. The Animated GIF thread (Pub) just cleared it after I'd read the other 2 discussions, which were in Community (Pub's parent).
    Experimentation supports this theory. I noticed a TF2 thread amongst the rest this morning, so I read everything in Gaming first, and as I finished the last one, the TF2 thread got unmarked.
    edited August 2013
    Edit: The posts were going through. I've deleted the dups.

{"Targets":[{"Target":"","Data":"\/vanilla\/post\/comment2.json?commentid=880837&inserted=1","Type":"Ajax"}],"CommentID":"880837","DraftID":"34478","MyDrafts":"Drafts","CountDrafts":0,"FormSaved":true,"DeliveryType":"VIEW","Data":"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","InformMessages":[],"ErrorMessages":"","RedirectUrl":""}
    Can I post here?

Yes, but not in the Helium Wars thread :(

-Digi
    Everything looks OK about that reply, not sure why the Javascript was choking on it.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Possibly a dumb question, but how does one go about having IC show up in the dark theme? Thanks!
    Canti
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    since when all the infos on our profile pages are gone? (real name, steam, xblive, etc...)
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    Also can't fav a thread on the mobile version
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    You still haven't fixed the About Us page guys. Surely if there's a page to get right it's that one (other than the homepage :)), or what does it say about us?..
    Lincoln said:

My theory: Vanilla knows when you've read everything in a category. Maybe it's mis-applying that to child categories when you've finished the parent's content.

Been paying attention for the last couple weeks. Yes, this is what is happening. When you finish what is in a parent, the child is then marked as read.

Snarkasm
    Both Rah and I (that I am aware of) are not receiving mention notification emails.

I've double checked my preferences and I do have it selected to email me when mentioned.

-Digi
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I also don't receive any notification emails.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    Same.
    must be the new server isn't configured for smtp?
    Probably sendmail not running. I've poked support.
    midga
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    It's working now
  • OH GOD ALL THE NOTIFICATIONS PINGING MY PHONE AT ONCE.
    UPSHitman