The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Ilriyas said:

Ah cannae change mah title

In English I believe he is trying to say that the settings will allow him to change his title to "Resident Sunbro" but the change does not reflect on the forum. I want to say this has been brought up before but I don't remember if there was resolution.

-Digi
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Can I just say that this thread was harder to find than it should be. Can't there be a link for members only in the footer or something? Bugs? Hit here...

I was poking around the site and the About page includes the latest articles. They don't have any styling.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    I don't know if anybody else has seen this, but if I'm going through unread posts, and let's pretend there was a list of 20 threads with updates or so, I work from the bottom up - and occasionally, I read thread 20, I hit "All discussions" to go back, I read thread 19, same thing, thread 18, no big deal, but then on some of these I'll hit All Discussions to return and one or two threads higher up will suddenly have no unread updates, when there's no chance I've seen those threads yet. What do?

Similarly, I've had posts with unread updates show up in the middle of the listing rather than at the top where they're supposed to be if they're the most recent updates. Somethin' strange goin' on.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I think that has to do with the voting system @snarkasm. Threads with high vote counts get promoted up the list even if they don't have the freshest posts.
    UPSHitman
    Meaning lulz/awesomes/helpfuls, or threads with polls?
    Snarkasm said:

Meaning lulz/awesomes/helpfuls, or threads with polls?

lulz/awesomes/helpfuls... Also, bampz to a much larger degree (or so it seems like to me).
    I use All Discussions to read Icrontic every day and have never noticed the lulz/awesome/bompz effecting the position of the threads in the list. It is always listed in order of last post (the recent exclusion to that is the pinned to the Epic Rules Thread).

Other things that effect that list is there is a Sink, this causes the thread to never jump to the top, and Spam being deleted (though logically this simply removes the newest post placing the thread back where the previous newest post would be) and neither of these sound like what you are running into Snark.

-Digi
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Reactions don't effect discussion order, ever.

BobbyDigi's explanation of sinking & spam deletion sound like the most likely causes of that.
    Hmm, that's interesting. In that case, I've definitely seen issues like Snarkasm mentioned where there have been threads showing up higher in the list whose latest comment was made later than ones lower. I always just assumed it was because the topic had large quantities of votes and/or had been bamped.
    UPSHitman
    I'm not thinking it was spam either, tbh. We're talking 20 threads in a row all with new posts, then some of the mid-level ones lose their 'new' flags despite still containing new posts. And I'm doubting people were awake at my hour nuking spam... :)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Maybe try to grab a screenshot next time it happens?
    Just to clarify, it is if if they are being read? Is there any possibility that the pages could be loading on another device you are logged into?

-Digi
    I always leave on the recent threads page, never on an individual thread, so it's unlikely to be that. Didn't happen today, though, so I'll just keep an eye out.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    @Lincoln, Keep an eye on the "Detroit Accommodations" thread that Wags started. The adjacent thread (in this case earlier than it in chronological order, thus below it) lost the "new" status twice on me today. Talked about it once this morning, happened again near the time of this posting.
    The thread that "lost" its new status was Prime's happy birthday thread, totally different thread than earlier this morning.

Clicked to read the new post in the accommodations thread, then clicked the back browser button and "new" was gone.
    No sweat here, just trying to give you some useful info.
    Yes! Three threads lost their new status on me a while ago, but I didn't have a screenshot of the pre-status to prove it or anything.
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    Soo, it's not that important but there seems to be no way to delete a post from a mobile, or am i blind?
    There's no way to delete a post at all, mobile or not.
    oni_dels
    @Ryder @Snarkasm I think I know what's happening.

On a desktop (main theme), I've unhidden the 'new' tag for discussions you've never read.

On mobile, it's the default, which is to only show the 'new' tag on discussions you've read previously and there are now new comments.

If you change devices, that would account for phantom 'new' tags.
    I don't use mobile, so I don't know if that'll be the cause for me. And just to clarify so we're on the same page, when you say 'phantom new tags,' do you mean new tags that exist for no reason, or no new tags when there should be? Mine is the latter, so just want to make sure. :)
    edited July 2013
    "Should be" is subjective here. On mobile, there won't be any 'new' tag unless you opened the discussion at least once before.

//edit: I'd obviously like them to be consistent, but I'd need to fork and customize the mobile theme which is... a thing.
    I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but the 4th of July NSA spying banner has a typo. Pretty sure the right for people to be secure shall not be VIOLATED, not violeted. Might want to report that on upstream :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    It's like "violated" + "deleted"
    On the other hand, the picture is purple, so I'm pretty sure it's intentional punny lols... sort of?
    Now it's corrected, so I guess I was giving it too much credit.
  • I used to come to Icrontic for help with with spyware/viruses. My computer has been dormant (completely unused/unplugged/disconnected) for over a year and now that I have it set up and reconnected, it seems to not want to function right. I don't think I have a bug. I think it just needs updated versions of everything, but I don't know for sure. I get about 30-45 minutes of use before my CPU usage sticks at 100% on the Windows Task Manager and all function freezes. Can anyone help me please?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Generally I will say get security updates, but there are times you should not. I think, if it runs 30-45 minutes, depends on how old it is, and if it needs cleaning inside to get dust out and possibly get it to run more than 30 minutes, will determine whether you can even get a year's worth of security updates for windows.

That said, I would get it checked out at a shop. I would get it cleaned out if it needs it.

Since you do not tell us it is always acting some way, I think as you do that possibly there is no bug in it. But, a shop that is worth it would virus scan the computer, so if you can, get a paid for Malwarebytes Antimalware Pro and update it and scan the thing with a full scan.

Please, once it is scanned and cleaned physically, inside, and properly cleaned, if you find stuff, start a thread about it in software area. We might be able to tell you what to run to get rid of it.
    melezdad1kimono54
    @Lincoln, I may have figured it out. "New" disappears from any thread, that a single person has replied to since your last visit, once you have read one of the threads they replied to.
    That is kind of a run on sentence but do you understand what I mean?
    So you've read 2 threads, Brian replies to both, you read one again, and they both get marked as read?
    Yes.
    This morning, "Theme Changes" and "Terin Table" both had new replies by Creeperbane2. I read the Theme changes thread and when I went back to "All discussions", Terin Table no longer had a "New" Flag.
    The other morning, I had three threads' new flag disappear, but it only happened once. I didn't notice the last posts, but this sounds like it could match that (and has the benefit of being programmatically possible).