Pre-game for Drew's campaign

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2012 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
Hey @drasnor

We were talking tonight about the campaign you'll be running. All we know so far is:

Pathfinder
All core classes available

What I'd like to do is get some pre-game stuff ready. I'd like to plan my character out and start doing background and backstory; the others that I talked to tonight would like to do the same thing.

Unless you plan custom classes and races, I don't think we'll need to know anything about the campaign world except for Deities for divine spellcasters. If you could just let us know what races, classes, and deities will be available in your campaign, I think we can start to build our characters.

I picked up a discounted copy of the Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide and it adds six new core classes, a bunch of new spells, and even new rules (including combat rules like drag, dirty trick, steal, and reposition and Hero Points). There's one new core class that I'd be particularly interested in for my character if it's available. If you'd rather not use anything from this book, that's fine, but I'm hoping you'll take a look at the book and agree that they're well balanced and not game-breaking.

How many people are you going to allow in on the campaign? I'm definitely in if there's a spot for me.

For those who don't have the books yet:

Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide

Pathfinder Core Rulebook

Pathfinder Bestiary

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Also: What's Bender's forum name? I need to give him access to this forum.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I just sent Drew a message before I saw this post. Oops. Anyways I was looking at the gunslinger class from the Ultimate Combat Manual but I am cool with looking elsewhere if that wouldn't be allowed.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I need to clean up my notes before I really get y'all into planning. My experience with web design is virtually nil so I don't really know how I'm going to get you this information outside of a Word doc with table of contents and such.

Do you want me to give you the high-level overview at the risk of confusion or wait for the player's guide? Joe, I saw your message and I need to go through the expanded stuff to see what's suitable. Know that I am considering your request.
    Also, now would be a good time to ask, what are your feelings on NPCs in the party?
    I'd rather risk a bit of confusion and get at least a high-level overview so that I can plan my character. As far as NPCs, I'll be honest, I think we had too many in the current campaign. Even though CB did an amazing job keeping them all individualized with his voice acting, I still felt that one person managing so many different characters became a bit of a blur. I know the characters by their voices, but any distinguishing characteristic beyond that was lost; I can't, for example, remember what classes each of the NPCs is.

I think one or two NPCs could definitely round out a party, but at the same time, I'd rather there be another player instead.

Drew, would you consider allowing me to play an Alchemist from the Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide?
    OK, no problem. Actually from reading stuff many people consider the gunslinger to be pretty weak compared to other classes, but I think it'd be fun... I mean these would be smoothboore pistols and such at the earliest age of gunpowder so there's always a risk of them blowing up in my face... :-)

Ultimate Combat was a full Pathfinder release so it's official and legit and everything. Let me know what you decide, if not no biggie, I can figure something else out.

I agree on NPCs though. CB did fantastic, but he is a trained voice actor so he was able to keep all of them separate. Pretty much everything that Brian said about NPCs though.
    I would not introduce more than two NPCs to be party members for those reasons anyway, so no worries on that front. I guess the question was more along the lines of how do you feel about story-critical NPCs being in the party? The players always control the direction of their story, but where it intersects or parallels major events in the world storyline (as currently imagined) they would have the opportunity to shape those portions of the story through interactions with those NPCs. Is that something that you would want to play or would you feel like in those situations "it's not about you"?

As an aside, I am not planning on letting the party recruit grunt NPCs unless they have the Leadership feat, some Charisma, and a good reason.
    I like NPCs that intersect with our story for a short time and then go away to do their thing. Kind of like Saelin or the Bryan's News; they are part of the world, and occasional interactions with old friends makes the world feel more alive.
    I again concur with Brian.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I agree that my NPCs got out of hand. I had never planned for the campaign to be so NPC happy. It just happened organically, mostly because you had to have a crew for your ship, and then those guys stuck around with you. It was fun though, and interesting that it happened that way. :)

Also: quit talking about The Isles of the Sun like it's over.... There are at least two or three more sessions remaining. :D
    GUYS, GUYS, REMEMBER WHEN CHIPPEDLANCE DIED?
    Who?
    Also, remember that time that I brought back Saelin from certain death only to see him immediately bitten in half by a dragon?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Actually, I think you got that backwards: you brought him back from disabled and dying right into certain death.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I love me some NPCs. They make me happy so I'm totally down for what you're suggesting.

I'd like a high-level overview so I can start roughing out a character.
    Also, I use the online SRD frequently in CB's game. Here's the Pathfinder version for future reference:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
    The link in your post returns to this thread. I think you mean:
    http://icrontic.com/discussion/95371/firmament-campaign-setting-wip#Item_0
    I just copy/pasted the link from the forum view. Vanilla is weird.
    Are we going to use point buy (if so, what level) or die rolls to determine ability scores?
    I'm planning to use die rolls unless y'all really want to do point buy.
    Dice!
  • So the badge system makes me feel like I should have a caretaker guarding against my need to eat the paste and noodles during craft time. Its training me not to check the inbox.
    edited July 2012
    I just accidentally clicked on the Fantasy Grounds Icon, and saw that there was an update.

There are lots and lots of really cool updates that I wish we'd had when I was running. NPCs have spell lists now, and can even be switched to different types, like traps. There is a party sheet that allows the DM to manage the party as a whole, a calendar to help the DM and party keep track of time and major events, lots more options for automating combat stuff, and a bunch of other things.
    The Pathfinder modules are getting better too...
    I can't find where to get the pathfinder module on the website.
    They're user modules, though there's now apparently a $10 dlc for it in the for-pay modules section. I don't know if clients will need to buy that too; I've only got the user modules from the forums.
    How much of the interface we're used to will change with a new rules module?
    The character sheets will be different, but the functionality will be the same. About what you'd expect, I'd say.
    So any ETA for a campaign start? No rush, just wondering.