Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    or the 3045 is the one I got but mostly they are turning junk
    BTw where do you guys get your bands??
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    They've noted http://www.sectime.co.uk/ a few times
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Sectime, watchworx, acetimer, crown & buckle.
    Having a hard time finding replacement strap for my Seiko SNL036 any help would be appreciated!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Sectime is a good site. I got the watch strap for my Vostok there and I recommend it.

Having a hard time finding replacement strap for my Seiko SNL036 any help would be appreciated!

That Seiko appears to use a custom bracelet and lugs. I doubt you could find a replacement.

I was afraid of that, But for 80 bucks for a awesome seiko Ill stick with the standard Stainless band
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Groupon currently has the Timex Weekender on sale for $17. I have one and love it, it's definitely a good deal for less than $20.
    http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-timex-weekender-watches?utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=361116&utm_source=rvs
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    My AK Homme stopped yesterday while I was running, and winding won't start it, am I SOL? I also wore it skiing so I haven't exactly treated it gingerly.

The real explanation must be that I picked up my Raketa from the post office in the morning. AK so jelly.
    Give it a few firm shakes and see what happens.
    @Thrax Still silent.
    Woot, watch repair guy fixed it.
  • I don't know how people feel about Invicta watches, but Woot has a truckload of them for sale currently: http://www.woot.com/plus/invicta-watches-aplenty
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Okay, I'll go through and read this thread later. I'm about a page and a half in, but I actually need to get crap done. Anyway, wanted to say I'm loving this Sea-Gull, but it's been so long since I regularly wore a watch that it's bothering the crap outta me. Feels like the circulation in my wrist is getting cut off (and it's dog-collar loose). Also, the back crystal has a serial number stamped into it in black...that seems a little weird. In all a lovely watch, though. Think I'm gonna enjoy this a lot when I get used to wearing it.
    It's the model number of the watch, so the lineworkers pull the right caseback for the case and movement during assembly. :)
    midga
  • Welp, it happened. I was leaving the gym and went to toss my bag over my shoulder and my watch fell out. Face is cracked and the movement is no longer working. :(

Not sure what my options are here? Repair myself? How difficult is that?
    That sucks, man. :( I assume it could be repaired, but if the movement is busted, I'd probably send it to a pro.

I've decided I really need a different band for this Sea-Gull. This leather thing just doesn't work for me. I went to a few of the only places that even sell watches around here, but they didn't sell bands. I think there's a watch repair shop here, so I might check them. I am not very confident about it, though. Any suggestions on what to look for, and what online might have something? I just want something that'll actually contact my wrist all the way around without having to be so tight it leaves a mark, won't slide around (or shift so the watch is on the side of my arm...), and still looks good.
    NATO strap, leather or nylon.
    Well, I Googled, and wasn't impressed with what I saw. The nylon are just a no on a nice-looking watch, and I'm not too excited by the look of the leather. I'll probably either try to shape this one or find a decent metal band. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Also, this is relevant to thread.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    #BMS

But seriously, the first limited run of 1000 timepieces are going to be a steal at $550... The low serial numbers will cement a place in collector history. If you are a collector, this is an investment. Made in America, baby! Right here in Detroit. I seen 'em do it!

edited March 2013
    Brian, can you shed light on Shinola's decision to rebrand a Ronda movement as the "Argonite?" Or is "rebrand" the wrong word in your mind, that is to say: is Ronda the ODM for a movement uniquely built to spec for Shinola, or could I find it in another timepiece under a different name? Is there a hope we might seem an assembly video one day? Does Shinola employ a master watchmaker? Where are the straps made? The cases?

I don't usually play in quartz watches, but the sapphire glass, domestic assembly and the final MSRP has raised my interest in the 47mm model. I want to go a step further and understand what level of uniqueness the investment would grant me. Might Shinola be pursuing COSC certification? Do you guarantee a secs/day accuracy? Can you shed any light on future plans for chronograph or moonphase complications?

I'd also be interested in hearing who you consider your competitors to be, and why you're a stronger choice.

I'd ask you these questions privately, but I think others may be interested in the answers. :)
    edited March 2013
    The Argonite movement is not a re-brand; Ronda AG manufactures the individual components of the movement, and has spent months here in Detroit training locals to not only assemble them, but understand them so that they are more than just factory drones; if there's a problem, one of our workers can troubleshoot it. They know how the movements work.

The movement is dubbed "Argonite" because our HQ is in the Argonaut Building on the border of New Center and Midtown in Detroit, which used to house GM's legendary design teams.

Here is a short video about the watch assembly, which I cannot embed because Vime-no lol.

The strap leather is made in Chicago by Horween Leather. The straps themselves are made by Hadley-Roma in Florida. The cases are made in China to Shinola specifications, as are the dials, hands, crystals, and buckles.

We do have a Master Watchmaker on staff. Shinola has no current plans to pursue COSC certification. We don't currently offer a seconds/day accuracy guarantee, but that is something we could possibly be offering soon. As far as future plans, we aren't announcing anything other than the Runwell for now.

Our long-term goal is to make all components right here in America using domestic sources—either through our own factories or through the development of local cottage industries. In order to accomplish that goal, obviously we need to start selling some watches.

The reason we're the stronger choice than, say, Hamilton, is because we believe fully that every single component can be manufactured here in the US, and that is a goal we are actively working towards. We're investing in Detroit, which is obviously also very personally important to me. We're not just assembling watches here; we're turning Americans back into craftspeople.
    midga
    Excellent on all counts. :) Thank you.
    I would LOVE to welcome a few of you to the Shinola community :)@BuddyJ, when I was meeting with my new co-workers, the guy whom I'm taking social media over from had a few Twitter listen columns up and there was your name, right up there on the screen. I was like "HEY, THAT'S PETE, I KNOW HIM. I KNOW HIM!" :p
    WagsFTWmidga
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Awesome! I'd totally rep Shinola in Oklahoma for ya ;)

@Thrax based on some Twitter and Facebook posts, along with the current half-finished Shinola watch owner's manual PDF (It's lacking about half of the language translations currently but is still online), it looks like a chrono or two is in the works. I believe their assembly crew is currently working on assembling quartz chrono movements.
    I'd So put up 250 but not 500 for the watch. That's just my limit. I saw the watches on Uncrate and they still make me drool.
    It's a watch with a great concept behind it. It looks simple and clean, and I like that. If it was automatic or solar or something, I'd seriously consider pooling cash for a while and getting in on it. I'm just personally not a fan of pure battery-powered quartz for my nicer watches. Nothing against them on other people, though. It's one I'd definitely wear if I had it, but the price is a bit rich for me for what it is. That said, it's still tempting considering the company and what they're trying to do.

They gonna give you one to wear around and pimp out, Prime?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Welp, it happened. I was leaving the gym and went to toss my bag over my shoulder and my watch fell out. Face is cracked and the movement is no longer working. :(

Not sure what my options are here? Repair myself? How difficult is that?

I know this is an old comment (been staying out of this thread while my post-THQ unemployment stint was leaving me without monies, heh) but I do not recommend you try to replace the crystal yourself. Despite needing very specific tools and hardware to make the repair, there is a high risk for further damage or even things as simple as dust/moisture getting into the movement.

Any proper jewelry store will be able to help you quickly and cheaply. Don't take it to a mall jeweler, if you can find a specialty jeweler or watch shop where you live.
    After a few months of screwups on my part, I finally have it:

ChoochmidgaUPSWeezer