Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It would be easy to fix. The movement and dial needs to be pulled out of the casing and have the hands reattached at 12:00 exactly. Once that's done, you can re-case it and it should be fine from there on, provided the movement is otherwise in good shape.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Can you document their experience?! Plz oh plx oh please!
    mertesn
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Yeah I MIGHT be able to do that :D
    I mentioned the watch and the problem to our watchmaker today. He smiled and said, "Oh yes, I know Jaragar very well. I get them all the time in my repair shop. The most common problem is that the hands fall off." He said he'd be able to repair it.
    BuddyJmidga
    He has a repair shop?! Can you get me his contact info please? I have a watch needing repair.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    So how many of that model do we have in the Icrontic family now? @primesuspect's makes 3 with mine and @thrax's.

Anyone else have that one?
    I have 4x Jaragar.
    I have two, myself. I was speaking specifically about the model Brian just got which you and I also have.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    i have 1
    I am really disappointed with this purchase; seems like I lost the "cheap Chinese mechanical" gamble. Sometimes the hour hand moves, sometimes it doesn't. This thing looks pretty, but the quality is dismal. I notice that the seller on Ebay wants us to contact him for replacement before we leave negative feedback, but that just seems like a cop-out, like it's a built-in part of doing business with them. Sure, he'll replace my $20 watch with another $20 watch that may or may not work... and keep sending them until I luck into one that works, right? Of course, with 2-3 weeks between shipping.

"You get what you pay for". I'm beginning to understand.
    In all seriousness, you bought a $20 mechanical multi-function watch from China after having read through this thread and knowing the coin-flip involved in the process.

The risk:reward ratio is generally pretty favorable, but there's always (a pretty good) chance that you will get a dud or two.
    And it's all about buying from the right seller, for better or for worse. Not all cheap mechanicals are made the same.
    seagull is you friend Prime
    I got the watch back from Stefan today. He said all of the hands were installed incorrectly and misaligned, but he was able to fix it (sorry, no pics, he took it to his home workshop this weekend). Now it seems to be pretty much perfect. I would have been pissed if I bought this watch, it was defective, and I would have had to pay to have it fixed.

The seller was everyday.deals, who came highly recommended. Their service was fine; they offered to replace it with a new watch for $5, and I can keep the defective one. I have no issues with the seller, just the product quality (or lack thereof).
    And now your watch can claim to be Built in Detroit!
    primesuspect
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    BuddyJ said:

And now your watch can claim to be Built in Detroit!

Well, rebuilt in Detroit anyway.
    Ford commissioned us to do 1000pc of this:

Mustang 50th Anniversary watch.
    midga
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Not even a Mustang fan but I like that.
    Flipping through the Baselworld newsletter this morning, and this one stopped me in my tracks:
    UPSLynx
    I would kill something precious to go to Baselworld and GSMA MWC.
    Y'all bitches don't even want to know how much that Jacques LeMans watch will cost.
    you're right.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Dude. Want. I love that the moon phase dial also doubles as a day indicator with that small hand. That watch would look great with a mostly formal getup.
    Pricing: $3500. Le sigh.
  • My grandma recently passed away and left me $1000. I would like to use to money to but a watch to remember her by. What can you recommend? I want something that is going to last a long time, is cool to look at. All i know is i like the look of the skeleton and tourbillion watches. Any advice would be helpful, thanks
    $1000 will get you a lot of watch. @Thrax will be in here shortly I'm sure with a big stack of recommendations.
    you can get a seagull watch that would fit you needs for much cheaper and still have some left over
    @Fletch:

What kind of watch are you looking for? Do you have an idea of what aesthetic you're looking for?