Expo 2013: Vintage Scotch

13»

Comments

• UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    Although if I were going, I would be completely down. Sounds awesome.
    Linc
  • brightbright Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    I'm going to ask this here because of reasons.

I'm thinking of doing the scotch tasting* at the 2013 Alaska Scottish Highland Games. I have never tried scotch, is there anything I should know? Should I run away from the scotch?

*For $30 you receive a souvenir glass and 5 exciting samples of some of the finest single malt Scotch, Scotland's namesake beverage.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    My advice: Drink all the scotch
    BasilUPSLynx
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    (for reals helpful)
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Do you have any idea what malts you'd be getting?

Regardless, it sounds like a fun thing to try, just be sure to report back after so the IC whisky drinkers can recommend a bottle that suits your tastes.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    Nope, just 5 samples.

Will do.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I'd say that $30 entry fee would be a fantastic place to start sampling. If you don't want to wait until then, read up on the various regions and the distillers and tastes that come from each region. Find something that matches what you think you might like best and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and start there.

Oh, and http://www.masterofmalt.com has some excellent info on each region.

Examples:
    Islays tend to have a smoky flavor. @UPSLynx enjoys them. I tolerate them. Laphroaig is a good representative of the region. Their 10 year is supposed to be good. I've tried the 18 year, but it's a bit expensive for a first foray.

Speysides are a particular favorite of mine. They seem to be a lot more balanced in their flavorings, but that's not to say they are without character. Personal favorites are Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Glenlivet 12 year, and The Singleton 12 year.
    UPSLynxbrightBasilRyanFodder
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Yeah, agreed with the others- it's worth trying. You'll know immediately which ones you dig and which ones you hate - or if you just hate all of them, you know scotch whisky isn't for you. But sampling something with an expert ALWAYS does the trick.

I've been a beer fan since I turned 21 (well, more like 22 after Prime and Linc introduced me to Oberon but I digress). I've always loved sampling craft beers and foreign beers, and I knew how to pick the ones I liked and how to describe their tastes. But I was never good at really explaining the 'why' of a beer - I couldn't point out the tasting notes, the aromas, etc.

Fast foward six years to last March and I find myself in Boston for work. I took the opportunity to visit the brewery of my favorite craft beer company - Samuel Adams. On the tour, they took us through all of the ingredients they put into Boston Lager. We could smell and taste each major ingredient by itself while the guide explained it. We then went into a tasting room and had three beers by Sam Adams, including the Boston Lager. It completely changed my perception. Where before I just knew I liked beers but couldn't go into detail as to why, after the tasting I knew exactly why. I could pick out the ingredients in the smell and taste, and I understood their contribution to the color, clarity, and head of the beer. I left the brewery changed, and now my experiences with beer have been completely elevated.

Tastings are always worth it in my opinion. There's always something to learn.
    Basil
    Learning to make beer did the same for me on figuring out just what it is that I like for both beers and Scotch.
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I can't still be in on this, I didn't know it changed from a waiting list. And I know UPSWeezer won't even be in attendance.

I can't still be in on this, I didn't know it changed from a waiting list. And I know UPSWeezer won't even be in attendance.

Yeah, a bunch of people originally on the list dropped out for various reasons.

I'm confused a bit by your statement. Do you still want in?
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    No, I can't do it. Ran into some expenses, going to be tricky to do Expo as it is. Wish I could though!

No, I can't do it. Ran into some expenses, going to be tricky to do Expo as it is. Wish I could though!

Ok, thanks for letting me know.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Requesting that this be held in backyard if Giant Catan is not taking up whole of yard? plz plz @Lincoln @mertesn