The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Steam in the living-room.
    What about Steam in the great room? Or the Pacific Room?

Steam Battle for the Pacific Room sounds like a summer blockbuster.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

The only thing I care about: Can I then buy Castle Crashers on Steam and then play it with 3 other people on my TV? If yes, win.

this may just be my cynical attitude, but I'm going to say those other 3 people will need to own a copy of Castle Crashers as well
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    fatcat said:

I'm going to say those other 3 people will need to own a copy of Castle Crashers as well

If that turns out to be the case I feel pretty confident predicting a flop. It'd be like combining the worst parts of console gaming with the worst of PC gaming.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    A bit off topic, but the PC version of that game doesn't have local multiplayer? Wat?

Also, that'd be a developer issue.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Lincoln said:

fatcat said:

I'm going to say those other 3 people will need to own a copy of Castle Crashers as well

If that turns out to be the case I feel pretty confident predicting a flop. It'd be like combining the worst parts of console gaming with the worst of PC gaming.
    i do hope I'm wrong of course.

Expo Icrontic would be awesome if we didn't all have to buy a copy of the game and just had a dozen steam boxes going. None of us would need to bring a PC ;)
  • Prepare for a shocker! I'm about to complain.... :p

This drawn out marketing ploy to keep everyone guessing is terribly annoying. I know why they do it, but this is going a little far. I'm officially irritated with the wait. I just want to see the damn Steam box already.
    edited September 2013

Prepare for a shocker! I'm about to complain.... :p

This drawn out marketing ploy to keep everyone guessing is terribly annoying. I know why they do it, but this is going a little far. I'm officially irritated with the wait. I just want to see the damn Steam box already.

Maybe it's just me, but this announcement basically turns any computer into a 'steambox' - I'm not sure what there is to wait for, anymore.

This whole thing is just so confusing ... I get why people are excited (steam = babyjesusetc.), but at the same time I don't. I'm not going to dual boot a new OS if it won't support all of my games off the bat, but I realize they're not after me, too.

But how do you grow the market for the non-PC gamer they're trying to woo with that in mind?

gabe pls
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    NiGHTS said:

Maybe it's just me, but this announcement basically turns any computer into a 'steambox' - I'm not sure what there is to wait for, anymore.

Doesn't Windows turn any computer into a Windows computer? So why do Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer and Gateway all release Windows computers?

Answer: Because not everyone wants to build their own, some just want to buy a box and know it's going to work
    edited September 2013
    Still too niche, still don't quite get it.

It'd be like an add-on box for gaming PC builds from here on out. You basically need like a Roku at this point. Endgame is removing separation of office and living room.
    _k
  • One thing to remember is that SteamOS will be free. Windows is not.
  • NiGHTS said:

Still too niche, still don't quite get it.

It'd be like an add-on box for gaming PC builds from here on out. You basically need like a Roku at this point. Endgame is removing separation of office and living room.

I don't think I quite get what you're saying. It seems like the point here isn't to remove the separation, but rather to get a foothold in the living room. Steam can now just say "why choose between the console and the PC? Buy the game from us and you can play it whichever way you want"
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Lincoln said:

Steam Battle for the Pacific Room

This really does sound so effing cool, like we should all be wearing copper plating, modded goggles and gear shifty top hats. It sounds like something I can tell my great grand nieces and nephews about WAY down the road.

kids: Uncle Jay, you were in the great battle of the Pacific Room?

Me: Yeah, I was in the Battle for the Pacific Room. It was a helluva fight, let me tell you. But in the end, we won and their has been peace ever since. (smoking my pipe made from copper piping and the end of an old kitchen sink faucet).

kids: "oooooooooooooh"
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Ew, smoking a copper pipe would taste nasty.

I'm in the small sector that loves to do exactly what this is made for, that is game with a controller on my tv, but that already does it with my computer hooked to a controller and my tv. That being said, SteamOS still sounds like fun to play with.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    fatcat said:

Lincoln said:

fatcat said:

i do hope I'm wrong of course.

Expo Icrontic would be awesome if we didn't all have to buy a copy of the game and just had a dozen steam boxes going. None of us would need to bring a PC ;)
    Wat, castle crashers on pc has local multiplayer support. I played it with a couple gamepads and the keyboard with my nephews when they visited last.
    midga
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Having recently run DVI from my PC to my TV in the living room, SteamOS?

-Digi
  • BobbyDigi said:

Having recently run DVI from my PC to my TV in the living room, SteamOS?

-Digi

Why not ZoidbergSteamOS?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Hey, that's what I do to get around web-only shows on Hulu.

(side note: device-exclusive shows is really dumb.)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    CB said:

Hey, that's what I do to get around web-only shows on Hulu.

(side note: device-exclusive shows is really dumb.)

That is because of the content providers.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    He didn't blame the device, just said that the idea was dumb.
    And I didn't blame him for blaming the device.
    Quite.
    edited September 2013
    Hardware beta
    Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
    If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.
    Controller
  • AHHHHH... I need to hook a gamepad to my computer and play a game using Big Picture mode.
    _k
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

AHHHHH... I need to hook a gamepad to my computer and play a game using Big Picture mode.

That's the only part I can't do from my current location. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home.
  • mertesn said:

ardichoke said:

AHHHHH... I need to hook a gamepad to my computer and play a game using Big Picture mode.

That's the only part I can't do from my current location. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home.
    Same here. Also, I don't have a Windows compatible gamepad... closest I have is a PS2 to USB adapter, which some games don't like to recognize as an acceptable controller. Guess I'll be making a stop at the local Best Buy after work. Looks like they have a $25 Logitech gamepad in stock...
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Is it just me, or does it appear that the interior of the solar image for today is starting to look like the Black Mesa logo?
    ardichoke
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    mertesn said:

Is it just me, or does it appear that the interior of the solar image for today is starting to look like the Black Mesa logo?

I'm intrigued by this, can you explain more about what you mean? I don't see it.

Edit:
    Found it:
    http://cdn3.store.steampowered.com/public/images/promo/livingroom/CeEUY1Jchw/machines_planet_image.jpg

Dammit mertesn y u do dis to me. Now I'm going to obsess.

mertesnardichoke
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2013

Not by any stretch of my imagination.
    midga
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'm assuming it's got more to do with the OS.

In the symbols they've given us, we have

O which I assume is the OS

[O ] the OS in a box (with room for stuff I guess)

O+O which I have only some nebulous ideas about, but I'd be willing to wager they're still using O as whatever it's been throughout.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's more community crap. I hope it isn't, but it would be about par for the last few years.
    midga said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's more community crap. I hope it isn't, but it would be about par for the last few years.

SteamBox Live Network. Paid for in #hats