trooster89_k
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    Yes new recruits! Yarg. To the clouds!
    _kZealocktheGreat
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Work ran even later. Home and zepplining
    _kZealocktheGreat
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    So either the guys were playing against last night were really good, or I'm a horrible engineer. I'm guessing it's the latter, we lost 0-5 three times. What am I doing wrong? Run around the ship hit stuff with mallet and wrench, put out the occasional fire?
    _kZealocktheGreat
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Buff during breaks or after deaths, use the mallet on the guns or when you're out of danger, use the spanner (wrench?) on stuff that needs to be repaired quickly or after something totally breaks. Sometimes there is going to be nothing you can do. I've watched the armor bar drop from full and just stated "we're going to die".
    _kZealocktheGreat
    I'm also not the best captain ever. We also didn't have a very good partner. We were also relying on AI for some stuff. The opponents were also pretty damn good. It was a lot of things. As an engineer, your two biggest priorities over everything else ever are the balloon and the hull. Without the hull, you die. Without the balloon, you fall to the ground and hit your hull and your hull breaks and you die.

Also, @_k_, I'm sorry we passed like airships in the night. I should have dropped the reconfig I was doing and gotten you in there, but my brain didn't react that quickly.

I'm freaking loving this game, and the community is pretty decent. Seriously, anyone who's on the fence about it really needs to get off the damn fence and into an airship.

Tonight I will be trying to learn to fly a pyramid :D
    _kZealocktheGreat
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Yeah, I think I loitered around the engines too much. Should of just gave them a hit with the mallet and ran up to the hull. Tried to repair them during firefights when the hull was fine, I think I should be camping the hull during fights?
    _kZealocktheGreat
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    The 2 loadouts I have been playing engie with, since that is my main focus right now until I get to level 5, is mallet-spanner-chemical sprayer or hammer-spanner-chemical sprayer. The big draw back on using the hammer is repairing the hull you are pretty much worthless because it has to much HP to effectively build with just the spanner. Being able to buff the balloon and the guns can win some fire fights but it is a big trade off.

Normally there should be a team make up of 2 engies, 1 pilot, 1 gunner. The engies spread out on two different decks where the person handling the hull that is their primary focus and if they are busy the second engie should jump down and whack stuff, the mallet is great for this because it tops components off with health and has a long cool down so you can make rounds on the ship before you can hit something again allowing for circuit healing. When the hull needs to be rebuilt everyone should focus there unless the balloon is failing because if the hull goes then you die but if the balloon is almost down someone needs to be there to try and keep the extra damage from falling hitting the hull....but if you are really high up there should be time to let it fail and then rebuild.....this takes practice and knowledge.

Don't forget to fire the guns if you aren't really taking damage and parts in good repair.

@midga I just got home from a run and was only going to play one because I was tired and it was midnight, non-issue.
    midgaZealocktheGreat
    I find that Pipe wrench, Dynabuff and extinguisher makes for a decent support engine as long as there is a "traditional" engie on board with spanner and mallet. I can intermittently maintain things while trying to help as a second gunner. Plus I can buff while waiting for a reload.
    _kIlriyasZealocktheGreat
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    @trooster89 knows what is up. Engineers need to have tools that cover gaps that the other one isn't carrying. Everything in this game is an extreme give and take.
    trooster89midgaIlriyasZealocktheGreat
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I've always felt that double spanner for maximum rebuild ability with one mallet, one buff. pipe wrench is great for a gunner or pilot but in a crisis situation rebuild is priority, the mallet has huge repair for the cooldown and in the time before the mallet man can whack it again buff Bro can already have that component running at 110%

tldr when your hull is exploding you need that second spanner.
    trooster89_kZealocktheGreat
    That was amazingly useful and answered a lot of questions I'd been having. Thank you!
    ZealocktheGreat_k
  • ZealocktheGreatZealocktheGreat SkyCaptain Captain of the Sky Icrontian
    No problem. I'm glad that it's helpful to someone.
    _k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Last night was a blast. I'm really getting the hang of the engineer, although I really need to remind myself to let let the gunners have priority on the guns. Also, need to remember to hop off guns and repair the hull before the ship explodes. That's crucial. The fire extinguisher is extremely useful, but man I feel useless at the start of the round just standing around without a buff hammer.
    midga_k
    Last night was indeed fantastic. Pyramid really isn't my thing, but I'm getting pretty alright with that fish. It's all dependent on crew and partner, though.

Honestly, I'd prefer to have a guarantee of good repairs during intense battles than to have buffs on anything. And really, if you want something to do before we get there, all you gotta do is ask ;)
    _k
    I have a burning desire to throw a Lochdanagn shot onto a Lumberjack heavy Mortar and see how quickly I can dissolve an enemy flyer's armour.

Didn't think I'd enjoy gunner quite as much as I did though I have to remember that I'm not an engineer so scrambling all around the ship with a pipe wrench is not on.
    _k
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I am interested in this game so if anyone has any spare copies floating around from a four pack or whatever let me know.
    _k
    @Ilriyas Yes. When you have a bullet next to your name, you are not an engineer. PUT THE FUCKING WRENCH AWAY ILY
    Signal_k
    BUT I HEAR THE LOVELY SHIP EXPLODING AND I HAVE TO.

It's seriously some kind of neurotic impulse as you said, even one little tick off and I'm hammering away.
    Signalmidga_kZealocktheGreat
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Ilriyas said:

Didn't think I'd enjoy gunner quite as much as I did though I have to remember that I'm not an engineer so scrambling all around the ship with a pipe wrench is not on.

Yeah, we were doing each others jobs a few times. You'd be hitting something with a wrench when I could have hit it with the mallet. I was firing the main gun, ran it out of ammo, went to go repair something, and you hopped on trying to shoot only to find an empty gun.
    midga said:

@Ilriyas Yes. When you have a bullet next to your name, you are not an engineer. PUT THE FUCKING WRENCH AWAY ILY

To be fair, before that pub Weafus or whatever his name was figured out he was playing an engineer, every time Ily went for a gun, Weafus was on the gun. I think Ily just gave up and switched classes. Also on the topic of Weafus, how the hell do you not have speakers in a communication reliant team game like this?
    _k
    It's fine to jump off and repair the guns you're using when you don't have a shot. It's something entirely different for you to run across the ship so that when I get the 3 second window lined up for you to take a shot, there is no one on the gun. If things are breaking, just let the engineers take care of it. If they're not taking care of it, let your captain deal with it and just keep shooting. If the ship explodes, the only thing you should be disappointed about is you not having killed the opponent faster.

And the reverse holds true, at least on my Goldfish. I'd much rather have one person jumping between the three guns as I tell them which one will be lined up and two engineers just kinda hanging around waiting for things to break than to have a gunner who can't get on a gun I just directed him to and an engineer who has to run an extra second or two to get to the stuff that's breaking.

Of course, in the end it's all chaos and there are times when it's good to step outside your role. Engineers jumping on a secondary gun when there's a great shot while the gunner's engaged with the main target is hardly a bad thing as long as it doesn't lead to the ship exploding or engines going offline. A gunner running back and helping with the engines when there are no targets to be had in a tactical retreat is also useful. If you trust your teammates to perform their jobs, it makes it a whole lot easier to do your own well.
    _k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Ilriyas said:

BUT I HEAR THE LOVELY SHIP EXPLODING AND I HAVE TO.

It's seriously some kind of neurotic impulse as you said, even one little tick off and I'm hammering away.

I know the feeling. One second I'm rebuilding the downed hull, next 'OMG! they're passing right by our flamethrower!' Drop tools and man the gun ignoring the flak canon pointed at our 25% health hull.
    midgatrooster89_k
    @CrazyJoe I think @bobbydigi was interested. If you guys can find 2 more people, the 4-pack's a good deal.
    _k
    Signal said:

Ilriyas said:

Yeah, we were doing each others jobs a few times. You'd be hitting something with a wrench when I could have hit it with the mallet. I was firing the main gun, ran it out of ammo, went to go repair something, and you hopped on trying to shoot only to find an empty gun.
    midga said:

To be fair, before that pub Weafus or whatever his name was figured out he was playing an engineer, every time Ily went for a gun, Weafus was on the gun. I think Ily just gave up and switched classes. Also on the topic of Weafus, how the hell do you not have speakers in a communication reliant team game like this?
    I think their name was Wraethe, and there's no telling whether they just couldn't play with audio, or possibly are deaf, or what. It was a little annoying, especially since there's zero chance I'm going to type out anything while I'm steering, but once they remembered they were holding a wrench it went alright. Honestly, I've had pretty successful games where no one spoke a word. If you know your role and pay attention to where other people are and what they're doing, it works out alright.

By the way, I don't know if y'all know this or not, but during setup you can click on the ship name or the player and see loadouts. It really helps when deciding what you're going to carry and how you're going to position yourself. It's also how all those douchebag captains hold up games waiting for people to switch their loadouts to their exacting specifications. >_>
    _ktrooster89
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    @CrazyJoe My bro has a spare from the 4 pack, however if you and Digi and whoever else want to do the 4 pack instead, we'll hold it.
    _k
    @Signal & @Ilriyas
    I'm right there with you guys. That match where @ZealocktheGreat had the Gallion was rough. It was the (2) of us plus (2) Pugs. It was my first time on that ship.

I was engie and it was my first match on the ship. I took the lower deck to help gun and the other engie took the top.

We kept getting harassed by a Squid and the gunner kept jumping off the guns to help repair.

It quickly became a catch 22. We kept getting harassed because there was no offense. and there was no offense because the guns kept getting set on fire. I couldn't extinguish the guns bc they were constantly on cooldown from the gunner pipe-wrenching them.

I think my ideal situation is on a pyramid.
    (2) engies 1 gunner.
    1 engie stays up top and watches balloon / guns. he's free to jump down to hull/flamethrower in a pinch. The other engie watches hull & engines. gunner's nice and cozy up top.

_kmidgaSignal
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@CrazyJoe I think @bobbydigi was interested. If you guys can find 2 more people, the 4-pack's a good deal.

@crazyjoe Go ahead and grab the one from the Rah bros. I've got an out of town conference for the next week so it will be 1 1/2 - 2 weeks before I can even consider getting into another game.

-Digi
    _k
    @BobbyDigi Hopefully there'll be a few more people interested by then :)
    _k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    midga said:

I think their name was Wraethe, and there's no telling whether they just couldn't play with audio, or possibly are deaf, or what. It was a little annoying, especially since there's zero chance I'm going to type out anything while I'm steering, but once they remembered they were holding a wrench it went alright. Honestly, I've had pretty successful games where no one spoke a word. If you know your role and pay attention to where other people are and what they're doing, it works out alright.

By the way, I don't know if y'all know this or not, but during setup you can click on the ship name or the player and see loadouts. It really helps when deciding what you're going to carry and how you're going to position yourself. It's also how all those douchebag captains hold up games waiting for people to switch their loadouts to their exacting specifications. >_>

Yeah, that was the guy. It was annoying that he couldn't communicate with us but once he figured out what class he was playing he was on the ball with repairs. I was a little sad when he left because we were doing really good with him. He consistently repaired things immediately and even extinguished the hull so it would have a fire buff when we came up next to the ship with a flamethrower at one point. Just imagine how good that game would have went if he could of heard us.

I did figure that out how to see peoples loadouts at one point which is why I went with the buff hammer the match with Wraethe, he had an extinguisher. I think you are not giving the buffs enough credit. I could tell if I looked closely when I only buffed one engine that the ship pulled to the other side until I buffed both sides. The biggest benefit was buffing the hull. Buffing the hull meant more time to run off and repair a gun or repair the hull while it was being destroyed. Couldn't tell from my end if the effects were noticeable on the guns or balloon though.
    _kmidga