Guns of Icarus Online

Comments

• ZealocktheGreatZealocktheGreat SkyCaptain Captain of the Sky Icrontian
    Alright after a series of bad runs yesterday. I have decided to start throwing around some tactics.

Gun Usage

Shooting guns kills boats that's rather obvious, but if you're shooting the wrong guns you'll never manage. In order to kill a boat you have to strip away its hull armor, and then hit its hull. Hull armor can be repaired the hull cannot. A good gun combo is Gatling/Double Mortar as the Gatling can annihilate armor and the mortar is a specialized hull killer. IMPORTANT one gun is never enough to kill a boat two will work it down three will hurt it badly four will devastate it.

Circling

Now this is a tactic that I almost never see, but it offers a LOT of tactical advantages. You have to utilize a ship that has broadside guns to do it though for obvious reasons. What the captain does is pick a distance that his guns will be most effective (mid range with a Gatling/Double mortar combo on a Pyramidion or a Junker or Typhon HeavyFlak Cannon/Lumberjack Heavy Mortar for a Galleon) and then expose your broadside to focus two guns on one boat. While you do this bring your speed up ahead half, and keep turning slowly to keep your guns trained on the enemy. When you do this you ensure that both your guns are firing, AND you're a moving target! An added bonus is if you have a teammate that rushes in head long towards a bad position and dies you can easily bring yourself to ahead full, and run away with a head start. If your friend rushes in, and with combined efforts you kill an enemy you can bring yourself ahead full, and charge in close disturbingly quick. A good combo for this tactic is long range guns on the side of a Pyramidion and short range guns on the front, or long range guns on the port of your Galleon and Short on the starboard. IMPORTANT Try as you might you can't swing a Pyramidion around quick enough to effectively utilize the port guns from what the front guns have done. Sorry Midga.

Team Gun Stacking

This is where one ship takes mostly armor destroying weaponry, and your teammates ship takes mostly hull destroying weaponry. An example is two Pyramidions one armed on the port with two mercury field cannons, and two Gatling guns on the front while the other has two Flak guns on the port, and two Double mortars on the front. This requires deep teamwork, and stacking up on one enemy boat. What's more is that if one of you dies the other is screwed, but if you play it right you can kill them long before that becomes an issue.

More tactics later gentlemen
    trooster89_kSignalmidga
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    _kZealocktheGreat
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Does anyone else play this when starting the game to get pumped in the lobby?

trooster89_kZealocktheGreat
    @Signal. I'm usually singing/humming it to myself every time.
    ZealocktheGreat_k
    _k
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    ZealocktheGreat
    youtube.com/watch?v=Fur86y7dQJ4

Starting at 1:14 is what I prefer
    _k
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Prolly gonna pass tonight. Y'all have fun.
    _k
    _ktrooster89
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    trooster89ZealocktheGreat
    ZealocktheGreat_k
    ZealocktheGreat_k
    Ended up having to go to New Mexico today, sorry guys :(
    ZealocktheGreat_k
    No worries. next time : )

You just missed a whole bunch of mines:

ZealocktheGreat_k
    New Mexico? I'm from that S***hole!!!

Junker with two phobos mine launchers on each side. That is the set up that we had to face tonight, and I have to say that the mine launcher is way too powerful. There was no way to combat the endless barrage of mines, and it easily made up for whatever the enemy captains lacked in skill. I now have a deep seeded hatred for anyone that spams the mine launcher on their boats.
    _k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    So many mines... every time I thought I had the ship fully repaired, BAM! Mine hit. It pushes us into another mine, we almost hit another, but dodging that one we run into another we didn't see. One minute everything is fine, the next more than half the ship is in the red or needs rebuilt. Crazy loadout they had.
    _kZealocktheGreat
    Sounds like I'm gonna have to try another build... ;)
    _k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    It was definitely interesting if not a little cheap. They are able to fire the mines a short distance so they were running circles around us firing mines until we were enclosed. While we were just spinning around trying to shoot them, their partner was picking us apart.
    ZealocktheGreat_k
    IT TAKES TACTICS OUT OF THE EQUATION, AND IN GENERAL THAT BUILD INFURIATES ME! You guys thought is was bad being on the CREW!?! Try being in the pilots position against one of those things. Needless to say plenty of curse words were said with a muted mic.
    Signal_k
    Er, it kinda sounds like a tactic to me...
    _kZealocktheGreat
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    midga said:

What you hear is the anger of a new tactic outsmarting the old. I think we should all stand in lines and shoot at each other like honorable men

_kmidgaZealocktheGreat
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    midga said:

So is pocket sand but that doesn't make for a good tactic. We could have copied their ships loadout and matched what they were doing to us, but we chose to fight fairly and like gentlemen. We tried to overcome their obvious firepower superiority. (Mines are greatly overpowered) It was a dick loadout. We knew it, they knew it. Also I should mention that these guys were all above level 9. Our teammate ship (is that the right term?) were levels 3, 2, 1, and 1 I believe. You had these very experienced players using a cheap (my words) and overpowered (general consensus) mines on people less than half the level they are. That being said, we lasted a lot longer than they expected us to. We gave them a fight when they thought there was none.
    ZealocktheGreat_k
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    fleetmates

I agree that it seems overpowered from what you guys are describing, but not "exploit" worthy or anything like that. It'll certainly be patched and it sucks to play against experienced people who seem to be min/maxing, but c'est la vie
    ZealocktheGreat_k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Thanks.

Nah, we're not claiming exploit. We're just complaining about the bad form. It's like spawn camping. We just wanted a chance to play, ya know?
    ZealocktheGreat_k
  • IvanIvan
    thinks this is an uplifting topic for discussion.
    Icrontian
    thinks this is an uplifting topic for discussion.
    trooster89ZealocktheGreat_k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    Speaking of Sam Rockwell mining helium on the moon. I got a coworker and his SO to buy Guns of Icarus Online. Hoping to help them get trained on being good Engies sometime this week.
    midgatrooster89ZealocktheGreat_k
    _k
    Here's a cap from tonight's that reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean:
    SignalZealocktheGreat_k