Benson Custom Engineering

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If I had my 3D scanner - I would be able to print it, make a clay mold of the coat of arms, re-scan it, and print the whole thing as one. Maybe.

For now, its just a few hours of work to make the coat of arms.
    midga
    Technical issue: The coat of arms is too detailed. Especially where the talons grab the rockets / shotgun. I'm going to have to improvise a fair amount.

What happens is the details are too small to model, and especially too small to print / make mold of. It'll just be a mess there.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    That raises a question, then: how small/detailed/etc can you go?
    _k
  • Assuming infinite resources and money, is there an equivalent to 3d plastics printing for metal/laser work? I mean could one potentially do detailed metal work on a thin plate, heat the plate up, and then embed/wrap it in to the tankard? This is just out of curiosity, I'm not wanting to fund a $10,000 mug of beer :)
    Yes.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

I'm not wanting to fund a $10,000 mug of beer :)

Yet.
    JBoogaloo
    midga said:

That raises a question, then: how small/detailed/etc can you go?

I'm not sure. Appearing to have problems at sub 0.25 mm.

Assuming infinite resources and money, is there an equivalent to 3d plastics printing for metal/laser work? I mean could one potentially do detailed metal work on a thin plate, heat the plate up, and then embed/wrap it in to the tankard? This is just out of curiosity, I'm not wanting to fund a $10,000 mug of beer :)

Yes, Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DLMS). Prints a usable metal part. Machine is $600k + though.
    midga
    GnomeQueen
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Given that most IC events lead to drinking, there might be a future in IC branded livers, Ryan.

http://www.dvice.com/2013-11-6/3-d-printed-liver-slices-are-able-function-normally-40-days
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    @midga Up to the nose I was pretty sure it was a toilet.
    midgaGHoosdum
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Sorry I forgot to grab the calipers this weekend. I owe you measurements and I am going to give you photos of the couple of steins/mugs that I have for handle references.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    This came in my industry news digest this morning and may be relevant to you: http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_11_08_2013_p0-635147.xml
    I want a SolidWorks license so bad but the expense is totally unjustifiable for hobby usage. I tried out FreeCAD and it's pretty useless. How are normal people generating solids for 3D printing that aren't just absolute garbage?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Piracy?
    midga
    drasnor said:

I want a SolidWorks license so bad but the expense is totally unjustifiable for hobby usage. I tried out FreeCAD and it's pretty useless. How are normal people generating solids for 3D printing that aren't just absolute garbage?

Cubify: Invent is about $50. I watched some demos and it didn't do all the things that I wanted, but would work well for hobby usage.

Google Sketch is pretty awful.

Here is Shapeway's breakdown. I found this fairly useful.
    CB said:

Piracy?

Anecdotal evidence: A friend of mine pirated a copy of Pro/Engineer. His business blew up, and Pro/E tracked him down. He ended up buying a license anyway to avoid some pretty scary charges / fees.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    Get a student version if you just plan on fluxing around with drafting on your own. The costs are much more manageable (20-100 ducks), and if you are aren't planning on moving outside of hobby dicking (yup) you can probably live with the annoying watermark on the program.

However if you want to dick around as a helper to CannonFodder you will need a full version. Student version saves won't load in professional versions, but the other way does work.
    My student license expires at the end of the year and I'm totally not a student anymore. I've been spoiled by having real FEA too; the SolidWorks license for the stuff I use is like $20k (SW + Simulation Premium).
  • Take a class at a community college for $75, that would make you a student.
    drasnor
    If you're learning something (solidworks?), and not making a profit at it... you're a student.

I could use the simulation part. I just have the base model, and would have to pay for simulation support currently. Its hand calculations for me!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    For the figure stands that I have the post is 3mm in height and 2.75~mm in diameter. The figures holes in their feet is about 3mm, had a hard time actually measuring that.

Here are some photos of the figures and steins.

My wood mug is my favorite handle because I can squeeze my knuckles into it and the horn on the handle is fantastic. The small handle on the ceramic stein only allows a couple fingers and if you keep it at 0.5L full or less it works out nicely. The glass stein is just a decent tall high volume item.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    @Pragtastic just asked, in regard to baby making, "Does that make my penis a 3D printer?"
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    No, the penis is just the feedstock. Uterus is where the magic happens, so the vagina is the heating element?
    Quick update: Rendered to show some shadows.

_kmidgaBuddyJBlueTattoo
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2014

//edit: Also, please print an NSX: http://www.honda-3d.com/
    RyanFoddermidga
    _kRyanFodderTushonBobbyDigi
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Where do you put the coal in?
    Coal?