Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2014

giant phablet

Thrax drools

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

If I can buy the Verizon-compatible version from the Play Store, it's sold already.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    If I can buy the Verizon-compatible version from the Play Store, it's sold already.

Wait, Verizon is going to allow a Nexus on their network again? What are the odds they leave it the hell alone and let Google do the updates?

Slim to none, just like the GNex
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

More likely than not. The Moto X has been almost completely un-fussed-with on Verizon, and was even the first to get the 4.4 update outside of the Nexus.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Do want, but just bought the OnePlus One.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@Tushon said:
    Thrax drools

Have giant phablet. Cost 50% less. Not really "worse" in any user-facing respect. Will get Android L. Feelin' good about my choice.

midgaUPSLynx
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

More "the phablet is the future" that you and @midga‌ went on about ... somewhere.

midga
  • Nexus 9 = 4:3 display? WUT???? Soooo.... None of my HD video will be optimized for the display aspect, thus black bars, thus not really 9" diagonal display? Just seems like a bizarre design choice.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

The price of the 6 seems like a step away from what made the Nexus program so good :( Cheap (but awesome) phones

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Yeah, $650 is too much for a Nexus device. Much happier with the Oneplus One at this point, hard to look past that price point with how capable the hardware is.

• Meh, don't really want a phablet and definitely don't want to spend 650 for a Nexus device. First Nexus device since the S that I will be skipping. As for the Nexus 9, I like the 4:3 aspect ratio on a tablet, but I already bought a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and got it for less than what they want for the 9.

It pains me to say it, but this revision of Nexus devices is a miss for me.

I am looking forward to Android Lollipop though, might even switch to stock L away from CyanogenMod (since it has been giving me trouble lately).

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2014
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

Verizon support? What the...

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

but seriously 4:3 resolution on the 9.........Guess I'll keep looking/waiting.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

No MicroSD on the Nexus 9, and the Nexus 6 is available with 64GB but the Nexus 9 isn't?

And I thought tablets were for media consumption.

Streaming is the future.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I have a 32GB Nexus 10 and currently use 26% of that storage capacity. I don't see the point in additional storage space on devices anymore. It used to be an absolute must have in a feature list for me to even consider a purchase, but with great service like Google play music, I have no need for SD cards.

edited October 2014

I have a 64GB iPhone 5S and currently use just over 50% of the capacity. I would love to see a 256GB version so I can have my entire music collection as well as all of my apps. Streaming is great, but when you're not on the WiFis it can get expensive.

Not on T-Mobile. ;)

@Thrax said:
    Not on T-Mobile. ;)

T-Mobile doesn't work west of my house. This is a problem. I can have Verizon or AT&T. I pay less for AT&T than I would for T-Mo thanks to a family plan.

• @mertesn said:
    T-Mobile doesn't work west of my house. This is a problem. I can have Verizon or AT&T. I pay less for AT&T than I would for T-Mo thanks to a family plan.

Also, not everyone wants to pay the premium for unlimited data.

I'm with you @mertesn‌. I'd love to be able to store my whole Music library on my phone (I can on my tablet because, lol, microSD slot). That way I can continue to pay roughly half as much as I was on T-Mobile for my cell service and not have to rely on streaming services.

Several streaming music services no longer count against any kind of cap. Google Music, Pandora and Spotify are all on the list.

@Thrax said:
    Several streaming music services no longer count against any kind of cap. Google Music, Pandora and Spotify are all on the list.

Not on AT&T :(

• @Thrax said:

That's great for people that are operating on a capped carrier. When you're on a carrier that does straight-up utility billing, it isn't. I'd rather carry my media on my device and pay 50 bucks a month for our two phones than pay 95 (or more) and stream all the things.

Speaking for myself, I also just don't like streaming media from a philosophical standpoint. If it's the media I own, I shouldn't have to rely on a connection to a service to access it. I don't mind it in the case of subscription services, where you're essentially renting the media, but when it comes to media I have purchased (i.e. - my music collection), it just seems wasteful to download it again every time I want to listen to it.

Streaming may be the future for some (probably many) people, but there are plenty that still see value in having control over their data and not having to rely on the 3rd party.

edited October 2014

Your point was that you don't want to pay for unlimited on T-Mo. My point was that you don't need it to stream on T-Mo. "I don't like it" is an entirely different argument.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2014

@Thrax said:
    Your point was that you don't want to pay for unlimited on T-Mo. My point was that you don't need it to stream on T-Mo. "I don't like it" is an entirely different argument.

I never said I don't want to pay for unlimited on T-Mobile. I don't want to pay the premium for any "unlimited" data plan. I'd rather have a much lower phone bill by paying for what I actually use, and be mindful of my usage. Especially since Unlimited on T-Mobile would set me back $140 per month before taxes and fees (for two lines), versus the OTD ~$55 per month I pay now at the cost of being mindful of my usage.

Streaming isn't worth $85+ a month to me.

Google just updated Play Music with material design. Sexy.

Also on Play Music, you can queue songs and albums and download them to your device. I think Spotify does the same thing. So you are only streaming when you want to listen to something you have not already queued.

• @Sonorous said:
    Also on Play Music, you can queue songs and albums and download them to your device. I think Spotify does the same thing. So you are only streaming when you want to listen to something you have not already queued.

Right, but that brings us back to not having enough storage to store our entire media library. My one pet peeve when it comes to the Nexus line has always been the lack of SD card for this exact reason.

Or you could do the logical thing and keep a few dozen albums and play lists downloaded and add and remove stuff as you tire of it. I haven't been in a situation where I need my entire collection available to me all at once, hence my refusal to worry about storage space on the new Nexus devices or any other phone.