TF2 Gun Mettle Update

Comments

• StrikesStrikes Lincoln, NE Icrontian

I believe we're on for Thursday 6:30 Pacific / 8:30 Central / 9:30 Eastern. General group shenanigans if you manage to finish your contract before that time somehow.

(I'm just quietly hoping that I don't get another map contract.)

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Yeah I think we will stick with Thursday unless @primesuspect speaks up before tonight and can't do Thursday.

Part of our group is inevitably going to get a map contract, and we will start on a server with that map. The Gun Mettle servers only run the Gun Mettle maps anyways so there is not going to be a lot of variety map wise for the next 8 weeks.

Incoming blog post...

-Digi

• SignalSignal Icrontian

The contracts work on any valve server maps though, we could play payload or KOTH maps after we get map contracts done.

_k

Dig's Gun Mettle Blog: Week 5

So a good sized group of us got together last Thursday. As planned we found a server with no one on it, 6 or 7 of us joined and it filled up pretty quick.

What did my Waifu Miss Pauling have in store for me this week?

Scout Contract
    Score points as a Scout: 1 CP
    Kill a Medic as a Scout: 5 CP
    (Advanced) Capture an objective as a Scout: 10 CP

Sniper contract
    Score points as a Sniper: 1 CP
    Kill a Heavy as a Sniper: 2 CP
    (Advanced) Headshot kill as Sniper: 4 CP

I used a couple of guns I had laying around:

Scout contract was cake and pie.

Already had one. Pitched it on the market for a couple cents.

While getting the initial 100 points was easy with Sniper, getting the 30 extra 4 at a time with head shot kills took me frustratingly longer than expected. There were no more Icrontians on when I finally finished.

...and then it gave me another case. Slightly disappointed, I didn't even screen cap it.

I've continued to play the Steam Market with Gun Mettle guns. Over the weekend I hit the milestone of over 100 items in the collection, approximately 95 being different then the others. I also made some huge flips and have now paid for all the guns and the key I purchased. As of right now, I am now only down $4.61 of the original $5.99 that I paid for my ticket. All other monies paid out, including over 200 purchases from the market and a Gun Mettle key, have been earned back.

As I posted, 1 of the week 5 contracts was released over the weekend. I have no info currently as to why.

Looking forward, I am really interested to see what happens with prices tonight. Tiers of weapons continue to go down in price and quite a few of the lower tier weapons have hit rock bottom at 3-4 cents each for Battle Scared, Well-Worn, and Field Tested conditions. (Of Note: Valves minimum cut for a transaction is 2 cents, thus 3 cents being the cheapest they will get as that still nets the seller 1 cent). Cases have been stable at 25-35 cents for Concealed Killer and ~60 cents for Powerhouse.

I obviously have not made as much Steam Wallet profit as some have (yet?) but I would put how much fun I have had with this update up against any of you. Also I am rich with weapons. So many weapons.

-Digi

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

im up for tonight

I'll be getting on on Thursday to do my contracts. I am still at work currently.

-Digi

• There is a strange specialized killstreak pinkelephant stickybomb launcher up for only $15.00 right now. That seems underpriced to me, but I also would never buy it. Just thought I'd throw it out here if someone here really wants a sweet pink sticky bomber (that sounds like a drink, or something naughty).

steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Strange%20Specialized%20Killstreak%20Pink%20Elephant%20Stickybomb%20Launcher%20%28Field-Tested%29

oni_dels

Meh, you could buy the gun for 11.50 and the Killstreak kit for 3.50 and have your choice of effect.

-Digi

PirateNinja
  • @BobbyDigi said:
    Meh, you could buy the gun for 11.50 and the Killstreak kit for 3.50 and have your choice of effect.

-Digi

TIL you can apply killstreak kits to gun mettle stuff. I have no clue why I mentally blocked that as an option.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

So the other night I unboxed/unencrypted (whatever it's called) one of my contracts, it was an engie contract. I didn't play engie at all because I was saving it for Thursday. Fired up TF2 last night and it's back to encrypted status. Anyone ever had this happen? Did the contract expire? How long do you have to do them?

• StrikesStrikes Lincoln, NE Icrontian

@Signal said:
    So the other night I unboxed/unencrypted (whatever it's called) one of my contracts, it was an engie contract. I didn't play engie at all because I was saving it for Thursday. Fired up TF2 last night and it's back to encrypted status. Anyone ever had this happen? Did the contract expire? How long do you have to do them?

Per @FettBacon, contracts will only save their state between instances of TF2 if you're connected to the item server when you start them. I've had some lose their points and decrypt status because of something that was at least similar. It was still the same contract when I decrypted it, though.

When they're not messed up, I couldn't say how long they last, but I'd expect them to go until the end of September.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

That's what I thought, I wonder if it will be the same contract when I decrypt it again tomorrow.

• I can't make it tonight, but I did just make another $4 off of a buy/sell on the market. This patch is the best patch. I'll catch you guys next week for sure.

As of 3:10 Pacific today 8/6, I am at a 14 cent Steam Wallet profit for the Gun Mettle update.

I've spent $5.99 on the ticket, $2.49 on a key and $46.12 on 233 market purchases.

I've sold 143 weapons for a total of $54.74.

My largest single profit so far was $2.35 by flipping a Strange Killstreak Carpet Bomber Stickybomb Launcher (Well-Worn).

I had 2 flips along the way that I lost a total of 3 cents on.

My Steam wallet is higher and I have 102 more items (including a Gun Mettle Key) than I had when I started.

...and there is still at least 8 weeks and 16 contracts left

Hope to see you guys tonight!

-Digi

PirateNinja
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

We doin' this?

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@PirateNinja said:
    I can't make it tonight, but I did just make another $4 off of a buy/sell on the market. This patch is the best patch. I'll catch you guys next week for sure.

I guess if your most fun is working what is essentially an economic experiment. Gameplay suffered though. The economist in me loves watching this shit the gamer in me is heartbroken.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

I just wanted to complete some contracts tonight, @Farge just wanted to shoot me in the face...repeatedly...

_kPirateNinjaStrikesRahnalH102
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Playing with pubs on valve servers makes me feel like I know what I am doing as spy.

PirateNinjaStrikes

My computer decided I didn't get to play at 6:30. It didn't let me play until after 7:15. Ah well, started on some contracts. Played with a couple Icrontians but wasn't feelin' it tonight. I'll see if I can get some time in this weekend. I'll try to remember to send out an announcement so others can come play with meh.

-Digi

• SignalSignal Icrontian

I'm so bad at soldier secondary. I have to kill airborne targets to finish out the bonus on this soldier contract and I don't know how. I get the mechanics of it, shoot at their feet to pop them up in the air then finish them off with the shotgun, but in practice I either get too excited to switch, or I switch too late and their on the ground killing me.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

@Signal said:
    I'm so bad at soldier secondary. I have to kill airborne targets to finish out the bonus on this soldier contract and I don't know how. I get the mechanics of it, shoot at their feet to pop them up in the air then finish them off with the shotgun, but in practice I either get too excited to switch, or I switch too late and their on the ground killing me.

take the Reserve Shooter, which switch faster and has mini crits on airborne. this will make thing easier.
    not sure if you have to kill airborne target or target that became airborne due to your rockets, but if it's only "airborne target", then try to aim at a jumpy scout

_k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

@oni_dels said:
    not sure if you have to kill airborne target or target that became airborne due to your rockets, but if it's only "airborne target", then try to aim at a jumpy scout

That's my new strategy. I got two off of people just jumping trying to avoid other people. I'm trying to learn this tactic but even if I do I probably won't use it after this contract. I only ever use the shotgun when I'm out of rockets. Pyro I could do this with, but soldier it's just not my play style.

I'd just shoot the people in the air with a rocket once you knock them up.

_k

@Karma said:
    I'd just shoot the people in the air with a rocket once you knock them up.

I believe the contract states it has to be a secondary kill on an air born target. That is where the difficulty comes in to play.

-Digi

_k

-Digi

PirateNinjaoni_delsRahnalH102

I feel the "I love arena mode" is the bigger joke than "Inventor of the rocket jump".

PirateNinjaoni_dels

Just finished a medic contract on my alt account while defending the last point on dustbowl for the full 20 minutes after getting rolled on the first two stages, set the benchmark for all my medic stats. It felt good but a demoman took top MVP by about 10 more points. Also got a Hickory Hole-Puncher Pistol Factory New for the contract.

Achievements gotten:
    Midwife Crisis
    Autoclave
    Preventive Medicine
    Double Blind Trial
    Trauma Queen
    Surgical Prep
    Quadruple Bypass

Most points:59 (as Medic)
    Most assists:31 (as Medic)
    Most dominations:3 (as Medic)
    Most ÜberCharges:13 (as Medic)
    Longest life:18:58 (as Medic)
    Most health healed:18,984 (as Medic)

PirateNinjaStrikesRahnalH102BobbyDigi
  • "stupid_k" "_k" .... "smart_k" ?

@_k does this mean I get heals when we play again? Can I just put you in my pocket and take you everywhere while you shower me with your beam of glowy shit.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

So anyone up for hopping in a chat tonight then finding a server?