Windows 10 launches this week. AMA.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Karma said:
    Media keys aren't working.

Is it a laptop? Perhaps there are drivers needed. That was the case for my laptop, though I didn't go through the upgrade process.

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian

Ok - on my current issue of installing onto my AMD rig, I decided to direct files to a usb drive and try that route. Everything went smo0the until the final reboot and then it just sat idle all night on a black screen and would not pull up a windows 10 desktop. After I rebooted it attempted a recovery and resorted back to the original Windows 7 Pro install.

Now I am considering that a fresh install of Win 7 Pro may do the trick, however, the disk was lost long ago. It is a copy I purchased OEM through Newegg.

My question is, is there any way to download a replacement and use the original activation key? Or, what would I have to do to get this rolling in the right direction? Since it is registered, does MS have the information I need to prove legitimacy of my install?

This is driving me up the wall because Christopher needs the pc to continue his homework like last year and school starts tomorrow.

Any help appreciated. thanks.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@mertesn said:
    Is it a laptop? Perhaps there are drivers needed. That was the case for my laptop, though I didn't go through the upgrade process.

Nope a desktop.

Turns out my computer sleep problem still persists. I climb through the logs and it keeps telling me an unknown source is causing the PC to wake. Legit annoying as fuck.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

My PC has the same problem, but also had it on Win7 and 8.

@Thrax said:
    My PC has the same problem, but also had it on Win7 and 8.

I did not have the problem with windows 7, though. I also did pretty much a straight upgrade. So I don't know what to make of this.

• Waking on network activity maybe?

I have NIC wake from sleep disabled. :/

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

I've had lots of wakeups lately, and it turned out it was from TeamViewer. Didn't see any options from within TeamViewer to stop that, so I just killed it. I don't really need TeamViewer if my computer is asleep most of the time, anyway.

I turned off waking through network, And @Gargoyle it was originally teamviewer having a wake up timer, that kept waking it. I disable all wake up timers. But it still does it.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

The Teamviewer service keeps renewing the timer every 30 minutes, at least for me. Stopping the service removed the current timer and stopped setting any new ones for me.

I use teamviewer, but also have wake timers disabled in the power profile. I'll see if TeamViewer disregards this setting tonight.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I use Teamviewer and have never experienced this issue under 7/8.1 or 10

Okay so it turns out this is an issue with the latest version of team viewer, that is causing this issue. I rolled back to an older version and it looks like the problem is solved. Again..... I hope.

Sonorous
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

I had issues with Sleep and disabling the Intel GPU and only going with my AMD Radeon made the difference. Almost like the Sleep turned off the AMD and the Intel never took over the GPU duties.

edited August 2015

When I create a usb installation package, does it copy the activation data from my previous legit version of the installation?

Like, I need to do a complete reinstall - is this possible?

Specifically what I'm having trouble finding is "Intel 82583V drivers for Windows 10" drivers that actually install and work. I get the error "Cannot install drivers. No Intel (R) Adapters are present in this computer" when trying to install. Other than that the installation went fine.

When you upgrade, a hash of your hardware is created and sent to the Microsoft activation servers. From that point on you can do a clean install, as the activation servers will ID your hardware and permit activation without a key. But you MUST do the upgrade before doing a clean install, or you can never activate the free upgrade.

• Do you know what pieces of hardware are used to generate that hash? If I change out hard drives and reinstall, will it no longer validate? What about CPU? Memory?

Unknown. Theory is motherboard. But you can call and reactivate.

Okay my PC stayed in sleep all night. I am going to go ahead and say. TeamViewer was the root of all my problems. So if you use TeamViewer don't use the latest version.

edited August 2015

@Thrax said:
    When you upgrade, a hash of your hardware is created and sent to the Microsoft activation servers. From that point on you can do a clean install, as the activation servers will ID your hardware and permit activation without a key. But you MUST do the upgrade before doing a clean install, or you can never activate the free upgrade.

I did the upgrade from the usb drive. So how do I trigger a fresh install? Doesn't appear to be any executable files in the root of the drive. Do I need to create some type of usb installation package or will what I currently have work?

If you've performed the upgrade, hit the start key and type "reset." A "Reset PC" function will appear. Use it. It's a clean install.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Just in case, don't lose the installation media. I tried doing that reset PC thing when I first upgraded and for some reason all it did was format my drive and it didn't install the OS. It tried to boot when it finished supposedly installing and all it did was loop reboot and BSOD. I had to go to a secondary PC and create the installation media and do a clean install.

@Thrax said:
    If you've performed the upgrade, hit the start key and type "reset." A "Reset PC" function will appear. Use it. It's a clean install.

Come to find out it was a reset that I had done after the upgrade but in hindsight it was totally unnecessary. After tinkering with network drivers for an hour I rebooted and ventured into the bios.

There were overclocked settings, but I had done an F5 prior to restore optimized settings. So I reapplied an F5, rebooted, and viola.

All I can think that happened was one of the OC settings had disabled the ethernet.

All is well, I'll just wear this "kick me" sign for the rest of the week.

Thanks for all of your help. :thumbsup:

primesuspect
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

So it looks like I should wait for my new Mobo/CPU and SSD to arrive then fresh install Windows 7 and then get the Windows 10 upgrade? Looking forward to having a shiny new OS.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Seems like a good idea.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I love watching people complain about WIndows10 privacy on Facebook. It's just so delicious.

SignalErrorNullTurnip

I WANT MY INTERNET-CONNECTED OPERATING SYSTEM TO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET