Windows 10 launches this week. AMA.

1234568»

Comments

• I want my Internet connected operating system to not send my data to Microsoft WHEN I TELL IT NOT TO. Subtle difference.

Gargmertesn
  • My Internet connected operating system is pissing me off today. Last night, it started having major issues. Excessively long boot times, terrible responsiveness, got to the point where I could move the mouse and do nothing else. Couldn't launch anything, even the start menu wouldn't come up. After reboot, I couldn't even log in. It just.... sat there, doing nothing. Tried using some of their fancy new Windows 10 restore tools.... none of them worked. Every single one failed. Now I'm doing a full wipe and reinstall. Not exactly a good start there Microsoft.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Sanity check your hardware for failure? I've experienced none of those problems.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I was going to say, sounds like a storage failure/beginning of failure.

• Nope, all tests came back clean. Complete wipe and install is up and running with none of the issues from last night (at least so far). It seems Windows completely and utterly shit itself.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

No complaints from me thus far. Especially after replacing my old video card erased a lot of BSOD headaches I used to get. Also replacing your video card doesn't require re-validation of any kind for Windows 10.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

So I accidentally upgraded to windows 10. Not bad.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2015

This thread is designed to be a helpful place for people who are interested in and excited about Windows 10. I have moved the criticisms to their own thread.

• So we dowloaded Windows 10 to a Lenovo G70 laptop and immediately it started making this incredible noise. Download the video from the included link, you will see what I mean. You have any idea how to resolve that? Worked fine in 8.1, updated to 10 and suddenly the audio is going nonstop making this horendous noise.

https://goo.gl/photos/b9JzGpUdPtQZbWmi7

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Sounds like feedback from the mic to the speaker.

• I was thinking the same, the user does utilize the built in webcam mic. I disabled it in the device manager but the problem persisted. Now I'm about to load Linux on a pendrive to see if a generic audio driver does the same.

• @Thrax you are right. After confirming it wasn't hardware by loading Ubuntu from a usb drive and enabling audio and webcam mic without issue I went back into Windows and dug around some more. Strange little bug, disabling the webcam / mic in the device manager wasn't working. I went into the mic settings and "listen to mic" had somehow been checked off, I'll not blame Windows for that, I'll say user error, but it's a little weird that I couldn't just shut the mic down through software. Oh well, problem now solved.

• Minor tip, if you clean up your system files you can get a lot of space by deleting your previous install. Just do a disk cleanup on your system drive then select cleanup system files. Of course you lose your ability to revert to your previous version of Windows, but at least for me that meant gaining 22GB. It is worth doing if you are happy with the new OS and in need of some gigglebytes.