Keith "Mortin" Whitsitt

Comments

• MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2004
    I am sad to hear this.

The KT7 FAQ was frequently used, when I had my KT7/KT7A-Raid, and that made me aware of APU/Icrontic.
    I officially joined Icrontic shortly before it was hacked, I had been lurking for quite a while though.
    BTW:I loved all the Ghetto mods as well, great stuff. ;)

My condolences to his family and friends.
  • BriltBrilt brooklyn
    edited October 2004
    You know when I read the e-mail from keebs I thought hmm maybe were having a reunion of the old apus/icrontic forums but then I finished the letter and found what I was reading was something very tragic and very sad.

I never met morton in person; actually I don't know anyone from here in person. But I do know good people when I meet them. Keith was one of them. And the world seems is a little bit colder a little bit darker when we lose someone who brought it so much.

I consider most people on this forum more my friends then most people I’ve actually met in real life. Keith "Morton" Whitsitt brought us all together. I thank him for that in more ways then he can imagine. His site and his work let me into a community, one in which people were there for each other, opening their heart, minds and homes to help out their fellow man. I used to think the world was a very difficult place where everyone was out to get each other and that there was no room for a nice guy. Keith and everyone in this place has proved me wrong and I am eternally grateful for that

Rest in peace Morton and godspeed
    You and your family are in my prayers
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited October 2004
    i guess i haven't mentioned this yet, but Keith was disconnected from life support last night and his seven organs were harvested to save the lives of others.

Keith Allen Whitsitt, "mortin"
    10/26/1984 - 10/24/2004

just a random tidbit, mortin came from a misspelling of morton salt. before that, back when he was like 12 or younger, though, he went by neatfeet.
    transplantedheart04
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Thanks for the update, Celcho.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited October 2004
    Like I said to Geeky on IM, I didn't know him at all. But ... to hear he's doing bad and will probably be disconnected is one thing... actually having it happen is another :(
  • edited October 2004
    I was a member of Icrontic ever since Apus Hardware. Keith/Mortin was the one idividual that really sparked my love for hardware. I had always looked up to him as a role model. as the years progressed, Mortin and I grew distant as we had a few disagreements, but i always respected him. I left the community when shortmedia was formed. Its a shame that i was brought back to you all in such bad circumstances. My condolences to his mother and father.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    celcho wrote:
    i guess i haven't mentioned this yet, but Keith was disconnected from life support last night and his seven organs were harvested to save the lives of others.

Keith Allen Whitsitt, "mortin"
    10/26/1984 - 10/24/2004

just a random tidbit, mortin came from a misspelling of morton salt. before that, back when he was like 12 or younger, though, he went by neatfeet.

I'd like to offer my condolences to Keith's family at this time.
    It will be his 20th birthday in a few moments and I cannot imagine how they must feel at this time.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited October 2004
    csimon wrote:
    I'd like to offer my condolences to Keith's family at this time.
    It will be his 20th birthday in a few moments and I cannot imagine how they must feel at this time.
    20 is just too young, too young. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
  • edited October 2004
    Heh, I remember Mort as the guy with all the crazy ideas... that could've worked. The good old days working on Icrontic... right before it went 2.0

My condolences as well, to his family and friends.

BTW -- nice to see some oldskool Icrontic guys around ;)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2004
    I remember that video. That was awesome. I remember him posting that years ago.

Its great seeing all the familiar faces again, many I havent seen in years.

I cant believe he wasnt even 20, I thought he was older than I was. Heck he was in college before I was.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2004
    I’m almost speechless at this moment. The reality has settled that Mortin has gone to a better place. Mortin brought to us a lot of good times, a place to hang out and share many laughs and further our friendship between members. I thought Keith was older than he was myself, it is such a tragedy to loose someone while they are so young. My heart goes out to Keith’s family and friends.

R.I.P Keith
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited October 2004
    RIP Keith.

I didn't know him, but I understand his pain. My uncle was bipolar and took his life in 2000. He was a wonderful man who was misunderstood by most around him. I have a feeling Keith was a wonderful, talented young man, who was often misunderstood by those who didn't get a chance to know him.

Too all S-M / Icrontic / Other Teams who knew Keith & his Family, and called him a friend, you have my condolences.

Sincerely,

RADA
  • edited October 2004
    This is without a doubt the most disheartening thing I've heard in a very long time.

I've been hearing about this "Icrontic" thing for so long and never really knowing what it was. After reading all these posts I think I finally understand what it meant to so many people. I'm about the same age as he was and can't even fathom the amount he accomplished in his few years. My condolensces go out to his mother and father, I'm really just amazed that something like this could happen.

From someone that in a round about way truly got interested in hardware from one of the originators I thank you. Rest in peace.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Dak, yes, Keith "Mortin" really was the inspiration that formed the original community that eventually evolved into Short-Media. Yup, Icrontic, albeit under different leadership after the "great crash", is alive and prosperous as well. Keep in mind, the whole spark that began all this was the leadership of a 14 year old. I'm impressed, and always will be. When I first accepted a moderator position working for Mortin at Icrontic, I was old enough to be his father. It didn't squash my ego at all; heck, I was proud to work for him and serve his Internet community. Many of you may read some of the threads and think to yourself, "Ah, they are just romanticizing things to spare the deceased from dishonor". You would be incorrect. Mortin did have his problems, sometimes bordering on disaster for his site. But due ot Mortin's perserverance and willingness to learn from mistakes, two great tech communities are thriving today.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    MORTIN GETS RESPECT IN The INQUIRER !!
    He had suffered massive brain damage following a gunshot wound, the site said. Keith started website Icrontic.com and wrote many articles about the Xbox.
    Short Media said it has dedicated a place on its forums here . It has also started a fund to present to his family for a possible scholarship or donation to his family. µ

I think Keith would have been pleased to see that he continues to support his tech community. Respect, Sir!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Respect indeed. I'm glad they did that.
  • Charmed1Charmed1 Brooklyn
    edited October 2004
    Celcho, I am so sorry for your loss. Please share my condolences with Keith's family. Being bipolar is never something easy to deal with, and too few people understand people who have this condition. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.
  • LarsLars Southfield, MI
    edited October 2004
    This is the obituary I found today in the Gainseville Sun:

Keith Allen Whitsitt

Keith Allen Whitsitt of Gainesville died Saturday in Gainesville. He was 19.

Mr. Whitsitt was born in Austin, Texas, and moved to Gainesville from Tallahassee in 2002. He was a student at the University of Florida. He attended Maclay High School in Tallahassee and Sylvan Christian Junior High School in Grand Rapids, Mich.

He was an expert in working with computer hardware and software. He was an avid runner and enjoyed weightlifting and body building.

Survivors include his mother, Shirley J. Whitsitt of Southfield, Mich.; his father, David B. Whitsitt of Walnut Springs, Texas; maternal grandparents Joanne and Doyle Disbrow; and paternal grandparents Patricia and Robert Bond of Tonganoxie, Kan., and Michael and Alva Whitsitt of Brownsville, Texas.

Arrangements by Zaagman Funeral Home in Grand Rapids.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Pastor, could you PM me the date and time of the service in Grand Rapids? I think I'm going to be attending...
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Ok, this is for all the people in Florida that can attend. There will be a memorial service @ 6pm on Wednesday in Gainesville, Florida. If you would like to attend please send me a PM and I will get you the details. Also, if anybody has ANY Ghetto Hardware pics (I know these are hard to come by now) could you please PM me and I will give you my email addy.

Thanks.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited October 2004
    Lars wrote:
    This is the obituary I found today in the Gainseville Sun:

Link to that obituary if anyone wants to archive the page:

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041026/OBITS/41026003

Dexter...
  • edited October 2004
    Pigflipper, I don't know how to send a PM. Where is the memorial service on Wednesday?
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    They will be having a funeral here in Gainesville, on Wednesday October 27th, at
    6pm. It will be held on UF's campus at the chapel at Lake Alice. Christina
    Criser said that people could meet at the ADPi house at 5:30 on Wednesday, since
    most of you probably do not know how to get there. Please do not hesitate to
    give me or her a call. His mother has encouraged any of you who would like to
    speak at the funeral to do so, and also asked if anyone would like to play the
    piano.

there ya go.

also, for the old timers around here, you might get a kick out of this page

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.icrontic.com
  • Charmed1Charmed1 Brooklyn
    edited October 2004
    Does anyone know where I might be able to send a sympathy card? I'm up in NY and would still like to send Keith's family my condolences.
  • AlakazamAlakazam USA
    edited October 2004
    I'd like to convey my condolences to the family and friends of Keith, it's a sad day for many cyber friends. Many of you might remember me from way back in Apu's/Icrontic heydays, that KT7 FAQ was quite a piece of work and help on those forums were great. That mobo is still running OC'd to this day! Those were some great times and I think back often to that humble beginning for a lot of the forums around now. Life is way too short sometimes and he will be missed.

R.I.P. "Mortin"
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited October 2004
    Charmed1 wrote:
    Does anyone know where I might be able to send a sympathy card? I'm up in NY and would still like to send Keith's family my condolences.

I'm sure that someone may PM you the address but if the Whitsitt family does not wish for their home address to be given publicly then Pastor Tim may be able to give you a mailing address to his church office for letters and cards to be conveyed to the Whitsitt family.
  • LarsLars Southfield, MI
    edited October 2004
    I don't know yet what Keith's mom's wishes are yet about sharing her address. She has been hard to reach (understandably) -- but anyone may c/o sympathy cards and letters to my church and I will be happy to pass them along.

The address is:

c/o Peace Lutheran Church, 17029 W. 13 Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076

Pastor Tim
  • edited October 2004
    I know that in Keith's passing we are losing what was one of the most talented voices in the hardware arena and judging from the outpouring of condolences and remembrances a very talented and gifted all 'round guy personal troubles notwithstanding.
    What we need to remember though is that though his body might be gone and we might not be able to "hear" his voice his voice is with us nonetheless in the love of this infernal machine he's inspired in so many of us.
    Even though I was never a member of the old Icrontic I've been touched by Mortin through a lot of you that knew him and were inspired by him and the site he created and as long as the spirit of good fellowship that exists today here at Short-Media and the new Icrontic continues to exist Mortin will be with us and never far from these pages.
    His passing was a tragedy but his life was an example of what a determined person can do when they apply their god given talents and while I know that we mourn the passing of his body his spirit will live on in what he's fostered in us, his extended family.
    In short let's not just mourn his passing, let's celebrate his life and the gift he has given us...each other and take comfort in knowing that he's still here in spirit.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    First off,
    Thanks for thinking about me, Keebs. I appreciate the email, especially considering I haven't been around much lately.

Secondly and most importantly,
    Mortin and the loved ones he has left behind are in my thoughts and prayers. This tragedy is truly heartbraking and sad. I never knew Keith as any thing other than Mortin from his funny videos, witty articles, and insanely good content on one of the best tech websites I've ever been to. Like many others here, I was immediately drawn to the communities at Icrontic and here at Short-Media. Just from the small part of his life that I saw online, Keith was amazingly creative and clever.

Any death is tragic and lamentable, but the loss of one so young and so gifted is even more so. As a father of two children, my heart goes out to Keith's parents, relatives, and friends. Losing a child is like losing one's soul. A parent should never outlive their child. I was immediately struck by the obituary page that Lars and Dexter posted. Would stood out in my mind was not only how young Keith was, or that he should have been celebrating his 20th birthday, but that his obituary read in reverse. Unlike everyone else who was 63 or older, Keith's survivors weren't a spouse, kids, and grandkids, but they were his mother, father, and all four grandparents. His life really hadn't even started.

Rest in Peace, Mortin...
    God Bless you, Keith....

Jeff
    aka Preacher
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    pigflipper wrote:
    Also, if anybody has ANY Ghetto Hardware pics (I know these are hard to come by now) could you please PM me and I will give you my email addy.
    I have every Ghetto Hardware picture.

//edit: All right, here we go. I have pics from these articles:

Ghetto Orb
    Gamecube
    Xbox
    Ghetto Olympic
    Ghetto Burn
    Ghetto Case
    Ghetto Duct
    Ghetto gf2mcOC
    Ghetto mouse
    Ghetto supercool
    Ghetto truck
    Ghetto workout
    "spraypaint"
    and "preppystuntaz"

If some of those seem cryptic, it's because I only have directory names to go by. Unfortunately, I was never around to read the actual articles.