Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Science & Tech
Microsoft has made a pre-release edition of Windows Vista Ultimate available for public download.

The download is an ISO file of Windows Vista Beta 2, which is about 3.5 gigabytes (GB) for the 32-bit edition or 4.4 GB for the 64-bit edition.
So if you have the bandwidth and lots of time to spare you can download it HERE
Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel comfortable with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta operating systems include hardware and software incompatibility and system instability. If you have concerns about installing this beta software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.
A broadband internet connection is highly recommended. You will also need a DVD burner and blank DVD media to convert the download into a bootable DVD that can be used to install the operating system.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Ah snap, thats pretty damn cool. Too bad I dont have a spare rig to play around with it.

But If I installed the 64 bit version, would it support all of my hardware? I now xp 64 is a little sketchy, I am curious to the lengths that they went too in vista as far as driver support even if they used a generic driver.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Boy am I having trouble getting it started :(
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    The servers are being slammed. Either wait it out or order the DVD.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Sweet I got it... just waiting for the ability to download now. Got 3 Keys though for some reason.
  • edited June 2006
    So if i got a key does that mean when the servers aren't bombarded i can still download it?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    It should... all you need is the media so I bet you could download the public beta from any source if they have it and just use your beta key.

What is sweet is that the OS expires on June or July 1st of 2007.... LOL
    edited June 2006
    Yeh, the servers are swamped. I will try it later tonight, everyone is probably slamming them right now.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I'm getting 300KBps! A buddy of mine in Florida is using his work server to get 2300KBps.... he finished in 23 minutes :(
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    It is bullshizt! I bet Microsoft is like sure we will share it on one server for the entire world....

Joe: hey Bud you in line?

John: Yeah you have to take a number though

Joe: K be right back hold my spot

John: Sure thing

Joe: I got my number, what number are you?

John: 2,808,645! you

Joe: It says, "your screwed until next week! "
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Well I was at home clicking the link often to see if I can DL yet, then I came to work and the first time I click the link I was able to get in. :P
    edited June 2006
    I'm trying. I may just go to bt, since im sure it is proliferated with it, and I already have a key.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Hmm, three quick questions. 1, Why is the 64bit version so much bigger? 2, Why is it so big in the first place? 3, Will this version be upgradable to the full version when it's released?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Who knows the answers to 1 & 2, but I can see #3 being possible.
    edited June 2006
    #1: I dont know
    #2: Its bloated and made by M$
    #3: Most likely with a service pack.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    #2: Every version except the EU-specific copies of Windows Vista are included on the DVD.
  • edited June 2006
    Well i got the 64-bit version downloaded and i'm getting the 32-bit version right now for my boss
  • edited June 2006
    I've been wanting to do a format and go back to a raid 0 setup. GUess I'll be brave and try it with the vista 64.
    edited June 2006
    I'm downloading right now @ 97.2KB/s Seems that is all M$ is gonna give me.
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited June 2006
    It could also be your connection speed, what do you have?
    edited June 2006
    a 4 meg cable connection. speed test verify that im usually at least getting between 3-3.6 down. I think its just because everyone in the world is trying to download it. I've gone up to 105KB/s now.:vimp: I just want to get it and play around with it, even if it does take until next week:wow2:
    edited June 2006
    well if you like when i get home from work i can send it to you through msn or something, i have 15MB down/5MB up cable
    edited June 2006
    maximusbad wrote:
    well if you like when i get home from work i can send it to you through msn or something, i have 15MB down/5MB up cable

Now thats a connection!!

But isnt MSN not the fastest way to transmit files? I've never really tried to send big files through it, but I wouldnt think it would be too fast, maybe I'm wrong? We can try it though, are there any ports that I need to open on my router? That may be the reason it is slow through msn.

I know that I can get at least 500KB/s cause I've done more than downloading a linux distro.
    edited June 2006
    check your pm
    edited June 2006
    back at ya:vimp:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Hmm, three quick questions. 1, Why is the 64bit version so much bigger? 2, Why is it so big in the first place? 3, Will this version be upgradable to the full version when it's released?

Here's the official Microsoft answer to your third question:
    Please read this important information before proceeding

* Upgrade limitations
    You may not be able to upgrade your installation of Windows Vista Beta 2 (or RC1) to the final, commercially available edition of Windows Vista. To upgrade you will need to acquire the final edition of Windows Vista and you may have to do a clean installation.

* Time-limited software
    Windows Vista Beta 2 (and RC1) is time-limited, pre-release software that will expire on June 1, 2007.
  • edited June 2006
    Getting Vista x64 edition now at 507KB/s.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yeah, I grabbed it 10 hours ago at 315KB/s (my max speed).
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Got it in 52mins @ 1.02MB/Sec (NTL 10mb rocks!) :D

Now to find time to install it :(
  • edited June 2006
    This is pissing me off.

Every time I try to download the 64 bit edition, Firefox reports an error in "saving the .part file" and leaves me with a partial 4.1 gig file, and IE6 only downloads a freakin' 13.7 MB file and acts like nothing is wrong. :(