Forum upgrade = downtime

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Community
I'm going to be upgrading the forums in the next 24 hours (assuming my dry run goes alright). When it's time, I'll need to shut down the boards temporarily to keep you all from b0rking it while the files are copying and such. I'll try to tell you of a more-exact time beforehand, but I might not :p

It shouldn't be down for more than 20 minutes or so. If it takes more than 45, send a search and rescue team. :o

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Doh! You know I'll be counting myself, which means after 21 minutes it might as well be 45 and the S&R team will be making their appearance shooting first and asking questions later.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Maybe I can do it in 10 :eek3:

Just as an FYI, this is going to totally and completely b0rk all our beautiful templates, so expect everything to look a bit odd and basic for probably a full day afterward.
    edited February 2007
    Actually, I'm going to do it tonight.

Any minute now, really. :eek3:
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited February 2007
    good luck buddy:clap:
    edited February 2007
    Thanks, I think I'll need it!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    That took 20 minutes longer than you said it would. I want my money back.
    edited February 2007
    Upgrade took longer than expected because the file transfer rate was horrible.

Plus... I may have come mere seconds from destroying everyone's avatar and had to stop the first transfer halfway through to avert disaster. :hiding:

Otherwise... went without a hitch. Now I'm off to make the forums look good again...
    edited February 2007
    OK, backgrounds and most of the header are back together. I just cracked open my last bottle of Sam Adams Holiday Porter for the season because that went way better than I expected. :beer:

As I said, it will probably be a day until I finish my template hacks and tweaks. Please bear with me; I'll ask for help pointing out the things I missed once I have most of it sorted. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    You missed the ad bar on the left side. ;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited February 2007
    I like how it shows how full your PM box is now below your username. Goodwork Keebs :) You da man, I don't care what QCH and Prime tell me in PM's.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Clutch wrote: »
    I like how it shows how full your PM box is now below your username. Goodwork Keebs :) You da man, I don't care what QCH and Prime tell me in PM's.
    THAT WAS A SECRET!!! Don't EVEN tell Matt that I secretly lust for him....

OH crap.... the cat's out of the bag.... :eek3:

Hey Matt.... You want to sleep in my tent at the SM-LAN? We can role-play Jack Twist & Ennis Del Mar.... ;D;D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    j/k... REALLY.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    QCH2002 wrote: »
    j/k... REALLY.

No your not....
    edited February 2007
    I think I just quashed the last outstanding item - everything should be back to normal now. Please let me know if you see something awry :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    I see a number of terrific new features. Are these vBulletin add-ons, or Keeblerific special tweaks? :)
    edited February 2007
    Those are new vBulletin features. Some were added in the latest release, and others were there but dormant until I got up the courage to revert all our templates and start over again :) My work thus far has been wholly cosmetic to fix everything that broke once the templates were reverted.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    last nite b 4 i went 2 sleep the forom was down, u robbed me of ten minuts uhf my lyfe
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Tough. :cool:
    edited February 2007
    I think I just quashed the last outstanding item - everything should be back to normal now. Please let me know if you see something awry :)

A couple things, that I'm not sure if they're actually different or not:

Was there a nav bar (S-M Forums > The Neighbourhood > ...etc) at the bottom of the pages?
    Were the stickies differentiated from the rest of the posts somehow (Other than: "Sticky:"?
    edited February 2007
    shwaip wrote: »
    Was there a nav bar (S-M Forums > The Neighbourhood > ...etc) at the bottom of the pages?
    Were the stickies differentiated from the rest of the posts somehow (Other than: "Sticky:"?
    Nav bar is restored. Another minute for the stickies.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Multi-quote RAWKS!
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007

Well done General, wish I could learn php as fast as you.:)

Only spotted this cause I was logging on

forum.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Stickies are separated again. Thanks for the heads up, Kentigern. I'll fix that next.

//edit: Fixt. Forgot to apply a hack in that bar for both logged in and logged out users :)
    edited February 2007
    Just got notifying email re this thread saying
    shwaip has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Forum upgrade = downtime - in the 
    About the site forum of Short-Media Forums. 
    Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by General Keebler)---
    Nav bar is restored. Another minute for the stickies.
    ---End Quote---

---Quote (Originally by Kwitko)---
    Multi-quote RAWKS!
    ---End Quote---
    I'd guess vB bug, but if I use multi-quote, the buttons aren't returned to default after I post.

However, it's not showing in the thread - could this be a prob with
    the multi-quote also.?
    edited February 2007
    No, shwaip just deleted his post is all :)
    edited February 2007
    A side bar - Which book did you learn from?
    edited February 2007
    For vBulletin-related things, it's all trial-by-fire I'm afraid :) I have Google, heh.
    site:vbulletin.com separate sticky threads
    For the front page, I consulted a long list of materials. Check out the "About Draco" part of this page: http://www.short-media.com/about
    edited February 2007
    Thanks Matt - Been lazy - last time I looked it was blank.

Note to self - check out front page daily. :)
    edited February 2007
    No, shwaip just deleted his post is all :)

lies.

Although, if you select a multi-quote on a page, navigate away, and come back, it's still selected.
    edited February 2007
    Please let me know if you see something awry :)

Wasn't this at the top before birthday's

forum2.jpg